Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-17-2013, 03:56 PM   #1  

Default Airplane Seats

I might have to book a short trip soon and am freaking out about flying, even though I'm easily 100lbs lighter this around.

I just googled about airline seatbelt lengths and have a stupid question. To compare my width to the seatbelt widths I'd just have to measure essentially across my waist/thighs at their widest?

I get very anxious flying anyways but the last time I flat out lied to the flight attendant when she asked if my seatbelt was fastened (it wasn't, I tucked it up in my sweatshirt). And of course it's Southwest that we'll be flying again and you know how friendly they are to large flyers!

I was going to buy a seatbelt extender just in case but I read that Southwest has a different closure than all the other airlines so they won't work. (Someone said it's so you have to ask and bring attention to the extender request.)

I try to be a polite flyer and always take the window seat and let my thin husband sit in the middle as he won't touch the other passenger (did I mention yet that my husband is amazing?). I practically hug the window and try not to encroach on him either (or I disguise it as snuggling!).

I wish I could go to the airport and sit in an airplane seat. You know how they have the racks to measure the carry-ons? I need one of those for people.

HELLO ANXIETY.
elvislover324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 04:03 PM   #2  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

You'll be fine at your height/weight. No worries at all. Drop that from your mind right now. Look forward to your trip and don't waste another minuto on this
nationalparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 04:04 PM   #3  
Living Intuitively

S/C/G: Heavy/Happy/Free

Height: 5'6"

Hi Friend,

I would be SHOCKED if you needed a seatbelt extender. Look down at your ticker... I think you forgot where you are. (I'd actually be relatively surprised if anyone less then 200 pounds needed an extender.)
I flew last month in the two-teens and was shocked how "roomy" the seats were compared to last time I was on a plane.

I was actually able to put the arm rest down without crushing myself. Huzzah.
I'm flying again in about 10 days. I'm going to Seattle.

Last edited by lunarsongbird; 05-17-2013 at 04:06 PM.
lunarsongbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 04:10 PM   #4  
Joe

S/C/G: 405/249.5/281.5/220

Height: 6' 0"

Yeah, I wouldn't worry about it! at 405 pounds I needed one, but just barely. You'll be fine!

Last edited by joefla70; 05-17-2013 at 04:10 PM.
joefla70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 04:10 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 345/255/175

Height: 5'10

I always freak out before flying. You will definitely be fine! I just flew and was able to buckle the seatbelt. You can buy a seat belt extender that will be compatible for southwest flights just google it! Good luck!
Alaskagirl92128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 04:15 PM   #6  

Thanks all! I'm just petrified.

And lunar, I need a detailed report of your seatbelt experience!

I'm so afraid I'm going to be like this for the rest of my life. It's like my brain instantly goes to the negative stuff.

I should be celebrating that I will easily be able to walk from the terminal to baggage claim without having to need a few breaks here and there to catch my breath.

And maybe I can put the tray down this time? Between my knees and my stomach last time, I just used my husband's to hold my drink. I pretended I didn't want to put it down. Imagine if I ever told him these things? I thank my lucky stars for you all.
Old 05-17-2013, 04:18 PM   #7  
I can do this

S/C/G: 230/222/175

Height: 5'2"

I agree with those who said you'd be fine. I'm shorter than you are and at 235, the seatbelt was totally extended--but I didn't need an extender. (And I flew on lots of different airlines at that weight)

At our current weight (since we're weight-twins), I'm expecting flying to be easy. I have two trips this summer and I know I'll be a lot more comfortable being ([projected] by then) 40 lbs thinner (and 50 for the second trip).

You will be amazed at how much more comfortable your hips will be. That will leave you plenty of time to realize you have no leg room.
bethFromDayton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 04:21 PM   #8  
Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvislover324 View Post
Thanks all! I'm just petrified.

And lunar, I need a detailed report of your seatbelt experience!

I'm so afraid I'm going to be like this for the rest of my life. It's like my brain instantly goes to the negative stuff.

I should be celebrating that I will easily be able to walk from the terminal to baggage claim without having to need a few breaks here and there to catch my breath.

And maybe I can put the tray down this time? Between my knees and my stomach last time, I just used my husband's to hold my drink. I pretended I didn't want to put it down. Imagine if I ever told him these things? I thank my lucky stars for you all.
Sometimes its hard to realize how much smaller we are when we lose a lot of weight. Every once in a while when I put on my jeans, shorts, etc. I look at the size of them and think to myself "how the heck am I going to fit into these?... They are too small!" I'm so used to having to wear big sizes, than the size I'm currently wearing seems really small. But, alas, they fit me! I think your phobia over the seat belt is kinda like this.
Old 05-17-2013, 04:21 PM   #9  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

OMG. It fit when I was 281lbs....just.

Now I am 217...ish (exact unknown due to scale missing in action) I am reeling in the slack.

At your new size, you are gonna have so much slack on the belt it will be flapping around in the wind.

They might need to get a child seat out for you because you are too small.

The biggest problem, if I am honest Elvis, will be to avoid the food offered on the flight. Just skip it. Say no. The attendants will look at you like you are crazy and, in my case, even came back and asked if I was really really sure. But I was sure. No thank you sir-eee especially for a short flight.

Last edited by IanG; 05-17-2013 at 04:25 PM.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 04:27 PM   #10  

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethFromDayton View Post
I agree with those who said you'd be fine. I'm shorter than you are and at 235, the seatbelt was totally extended--but I didn't need an extender. (And I flew on lots of different airlines at that weight)

At our current weight (since we're weight-twins), I'm expecting flying to be easy. I have two trips this summer and I know I'll be a lot more comfortable being ([projected] by then) 40 lbs thinner (and 50 for the second trip).

You will be amazed at how much more comfortable your hips will be. That will leave you plenty of time to realize you have no leg room.
There is no one that I'd rather be weight twins with!! LMAO @ no leg room. I can't wait. I had none before anyways but no one ever does. I just want to be able to reach under the seat for my carryon instead of asking my husband to always get it for me. (This could be a huge NSV trip I think...)

BTW, I stopped in the 2-teens thread and put a shout out that we are looking for more people in the 190s thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by joefla70 View Post
Sometimes its hard to realize how much smaller we are when we lose a lot of weight. Every once in a while when I put on my jeans, shorts, etc. I look at the size of them and think to myself "how the heck am I going to fit into these?... They are too small!" I'm so used to having to wear big sizes, than the size I'm currently wearing seems really small. But, alas, they fit me! I think your phobia over the seat belt is kinda like this.
I think you are right. I can't see myself as smaller even though my clothes are smaller, my bath towels fit now (!!), all kinds of tangible measurements but this one is just freakin' me out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanG View Post
OMG. It fit when I was 281lbs....just.

Now I am 217...ish (exact unknown due to scale missing in action) I am reeling in the slack.

At your new size, you are gonna have so much slack on the belt it will be flapping around in the wind.

They might need to get a child seat out for you because you are too small.
You are so funny, Ian. I'll never need a child seat or have a flapping seatbelt but the thought is nice!!
Old 05-17-2013, 04:30 PM   #11  
Joe

You know... Come to think of it, I think I read somewhere that Southwest was implementing a new policy in which it was changing the size of their seat belts to a smaller size to only accommodate passengers who weigh less than 195 pounds. :P
Old 05-17-2013, 04:30 PM   #12  

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanG View Post
The biggest problem, if I am honest Elvis, will be to avoid the food offered on the flight. Just skip it. Say no. The attendants will look at you like you are crazy and, in my case, even came back and asked if I was really really sure. But I was sure. No thank you sir-eee especially for a short flight.
I had posted before I saw this.

You are right, I will say no. Usually it's just snacky stuff anyways on a 5 hour flight but I plan on staying on my food track as best as possible. If I can make it through holidays with family pressure, I can surely stay on plan on vacation (vacation for me, business for the husband). And I keep thinking about you and your travel scale and how you rocked your 2 weeks away and "I want to be just like Ian". (Maybe I need a tshirt that says that LOL!)
Old 05-17-2013, 04:33 PM   #13  

Quote:
Originally Posted by joefla70 View Post
You know... Come to think of it, I think I read somewhere that Southwest was implementing a new policy in which it was changing the size of their seat belts to a smaller size to only accommodate passengers who weigh less than 195 pounds. :P
ARE YOU CRAZY!??!? You know the stress I go under trying to get to goals like 199!! Now I have to stress out for 195?!?! OMG. And I was doing so well this week, you just threw my progress out the window!
Old 05-17-2013, 04:33 PM   #14  
Finally in control.

S/C/G: 294/236/199

Height: 5'4"

There is no way that you won't fit in that seat Elvis! You are going to be swimming in all the extra room.
ChickieBoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 04:33 PM   #15  
Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvislover324 View Post
I had posted before I saw this.

You are right, I will say no. Usually it's just snacky stuff anyways on a 5 hour flight but I plan on staying on my food track as best as possible. If I can make it through holidays with family pressure, I can surely stay on plan on vacation (vacation for me, business for the husband). And I keep thinking about you and your travel scale and how you rocked your 2 weeks away and "I want to be just like Ian". (Maybe I need a tshirt that says that LOL!)
I haven't flown in a while. Its weird to hear that they only have snacky stuff on 5 hour flights these days. I remember when they would bring you a full (small) meal on a plane, with real silverware. Now you're lucky to get a bag of peanuts!