Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-14-2013, 01:57 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 239/210.8/150-160

Height: 5'10"

Default Food questions?

When people refer to "carbs" are you referring to grains? I have heard, as long as you are eating whole grains that it is ok and very nutritious (excellent fibre)... is there a limit to how much should he consumed?

Sugars- all fruits and veggies have sugar. Some veggies have even more sugar then some fruits so how do you know how much to eat or which particular veggies?

Caloric intake-- I have heard many people restrict calories quite extensively, yet, I lose more weight if I eat fairly high calories (between 17-1800). If I lower it to 12-1300, I lose less or even gain a bit (keeping in mind that I am a 5'10" woman). Is this strange? My cousin (who has lost 87 pounds and looks incredible) eats a minimum of 2000 and she is 5'6". She is only a few months older then me...

Some people say meat is one of the culprits to weight gain, other say that protein helps repair muscle tissue (especially if you lift weights, which I do). People say that you shouldn't eat too much fruit, yet many veggies have the same amount if sugar OR MORE. Some people say eating dairy is another culprit to weight gain, yet women require high calcium levels. Others say carbs are the culprit, yet many fit/high weight loss people eat a LOT of carbs and they believe it has assisted them in losing weight.
So... if I cut out dairy, meat, carbs, and fruits- then I should eat only some (low sugar) veggies for the rest of my life? Doesn't make sense! Please help!

Last edited by cg86; 05-14-2013 at 02:03 PM.
cg86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 02:46 PM   #2  
Joe

S/C/G: 405/249.5/281.5/220

Height: 6' 0"

Quote:
Originally Posted by cg86 View Post
When people refer to "carbs" are you referring to grains? I have heard, as long as you are eating whole grains that it is ok and very nutritious (excellent fibre)... is there a limit to how much should he consumed?

Sugars- all fruits and veggies have sugar. Some veggies have even more sugar then some fruits so how do you know how much to eat or which particular veggies?

Caloric intake-- I have heard many people restrict calories quite extensively, yet, I lose more weight if I eat fairly high calories (between 17-1800). If I lower it to 12-1300, I lose less or even gain a bit (keeping in mind that I am a 5'10" woman). Is this strange? My cousin (who has lost 87 pounds and looks incredible) eats a minimum of 2000 and she is 5'6". She is only a few months older then me...

Some people say meat is one of the culprits to weight gain, other say that protein helps repair muscle tissue (especially if you lift weights, which I do). People say that you shouldn't eat too much fruit, yet many veggies have the same amount if sugar OR MORE. Some people say eating dairy is another culprit to weight gain, yet women require high calcium levels. Others say carbs are the culprit, yet many fit/high weight loss people eat a LOT of carbs and they believe it has assisted them in losing weight.
So... if I cut out dairy, meat, carbs, and fruits- then I should eat only some (low sugar) veggies for the rest of my life? Doesn't make sense! Please help!
Carbs are not limited to grains. Carbs are in a lot of foods, including veggies which you should definitely include in your diet. For those on a low carb diet, the goal is to limit carbs and budget your carbs so that you are making better choices in how to allocate them. Foods like white bread, white rice, white potatoes, sugar, etc. are typically restricted because they are high in carb - and don't contain much dietary fiber. Other foods that are higher in fiber (such as whole grains) may be included in a low carb diet. But there is still a limit... just like their would be a limit on the amount of protein, fat ... and any other category of food.
joefla70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 08:32 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by cg86 View Post
When people refer to "carbs" are you referring to grains? Carbs are grains, rice, potatoes, corn, beans, and sugar.I have heard, as long as you are eating whole grains that it is ok and very nutritious (excellent fibre)... is there a limit to how much should he consumed?What do you mean by "it's ok"? Whole grains are good for you, but your body does not need a lot of it, if you replace regular pasta with whole wheat pasta it's still going to be a lot of calories, so it might be a good idea to cut down on the portion sizes in order to see weight loss.

Sugars- all fruits and veggies have sugar. Some veggies have even more sugar then some fruits so how do you know how much to eat or which particular veggies? Yes, fruits and vegetables contain fructose - the calories are equal to sugar but fructose is not sugar. It metabolizes quicker and does not cause the same type of cravings and addiction that sugar does. In addition to fructose vegetables and fruits contain many nutrients that a donut does not. Sure, carrots have more carbohydrate content than broccoli but unless you're eating big batches of carrots you'll be ok.

Caloric intake-- I have heard many people restrict calories quite extensively, yet, I lose more weight if I eat fairly high calories (between 17-1800). If I lower it to 12-1300, I lose less or even gain a bit (keeping in mind that I am a 5'10" woman). Is this strange? My cousin (who has lost 87 pounds and looks incredible) eats a minimum of 2000 and she is 5'6". She is only a few months older then me... The larger you are the more calories your body needs. Try calculating your basal metabolic rate http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/ to see how many calories your body burns on its own. I try to keep my calorie intake right around that mark to significantly lose weight or a little higher to moderately lose weight.

Some people say meat is one of the culprits to weight gain, other say that protein helps repair muscle tissue (especially if you lift weights, which I do). I would disagree with that - this is ancient advice. It's important to eat lean meats and proteins but you can't get carried away with certain meats. Red meat, deli meat, sausage, bacon, and fatty cuts of meat should be limited. But fish, chicken, lean pork, turkey are all very good for you and help keep you full.People say that you shouldn't eat too much fruit, yet many veggies have the same amount if sugar OR MORE. Again, fruits and vegetables contain nutrients, as long as you don't overdo it with fruits you'll stay within your calorie range.Some people say eating dairy is another culprit to weight gain,Yes, a lot of people say this. There is no one culprit for weight gain, if you over eat anything you'll gain weight. My body feels best when I have eggs and yogurt and I do like my butter. Others swear against it. You have to find what works for you. yet women require high calcium levels. You can get calcium from many other sources such as spinach and kale. Others say carbs are the culprit, yet many fit/high weight loss people eat a LOT of carbs and they believe it has assisted them in losing weight. For ME carbs are a culprit, they make me hungrier sooner, they make me crave more carbs and they're very high in calories so it is easy to over do it. I do eat some carbs but cautiously. Rice for example does not make me crazy, but eating a lot of wheat makes me go bonkers, it makes me super hungry and ravenous. Check out the book Wheat Belly for more information. Also, unless you're a marathoner your body does not need large amounts of carbs to function.
Welcome to world of nutrition. The key is to have balance in your life. If you can't live without chocolate find a way to incorporate chocolate into your life that doesn't make you gain weight. For me that is one small piece of dark chocolate in the evenings as "dessert." I don't feel deprived but any more than that and I'm in serious danger of cravings. I could never give up meat, I hate the idea of giving up carbs but I have to admit that my body feels better and my mind feels less foggy if I limit wheat - I wish it wasn't true but there it is.
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote