Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-08-2013, 09:21 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 240/220/130ish

Height: 5'4

Muscle milk has a bunch of sugar. You can get a big container of protein powder for cheap that will have less sugar and less calories. It will cost a lot less than muscle milk.

Last edited by Dichi; 05-08-2013 at 09:22 PM.
Dichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 10:24 PM   #17  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Personally, I suspect it's not so much carb withdrawal as a sensitivity to the carbs themselves, especially if you happen to have blood sugar issues such as hypoglycemia, diabetes, or insulin resistance.

I'm borderline diabetic/insulin resistant, and sugars and starches (even the "good ones" from fruit, whole grains, and higher calorie starchy veggies like potato) increase my hunger dramatically. So much so, that the more I eat, the hungrier I feel. On a lowish carb paleo diet, hunger and hunger headaches aren't a problem.

On a low-fat, lowish calorie, but high glycemic diet like you describe, I too would be feeling very hungry and headachey.

If you're only mildly carb sensitive or insulin resistant, a whole food diet such as The Zone or The South Beach diet might work best.

If you're extremely carb-sensitive, you might do best on a low-carb diet such as Atkins or some of the stricter paleo diets, as even whole grains and fruit may spike hunger.

If you have medical coverage, I'd recommend testing for diabetes and insulin resistance.

There is no test that determines your exact degree of carb sensitivity, so you're left to trial and error. A food and hunger/symptom/emotion log can be helpful to see which foods and food types trigger positive and negative results.

Just as an example, many of us find that sugar and starches can even cause or at least worsen emotional issues. For decades I thought I was fat because of emotional problems (mild depression and impulse control issues), as it turns our carbs were causing the emotional crises. On a carb-controlled dirt, I'm much more emotionally stable and able to think more clearly.

'm not suggesting you give up any foods permanently, just experiment to find your own ideal carb level by experimenting and keeping good notes on how you're feeling and how weight loss, weight management is going.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 10:29 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 145 / 102 / ?

Height: 5'

Hey! You can drink the Muscle Milk if you want, but I'd spend calories on something that fills up your stomach, as well! I know you're on a budget, but chicken, eggs, tuna, tilapia--whatever is on sale!
HungryHungryHippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 10:42 PM   #19  
On a mission

S/C/G: HW280/CW270/GW160

Height: 5'9"

Oh, gosh! I am feeling you! I started again last week, and I have been battling hunger feelings as well. For me, though, I suspect it is more emotional. My body is not happy with me for not giving in! Carbs may have something to do with it. I would love to know what the PCP says. The one thing I guess I have done to help that is that I save my calories for actual food, meaning I really limit juices and sodas so that I am physically chewing my calories. it helps..a bit. Good luck with the Dr. visit and hang in there!
vdander24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 10:51 PM   #20  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

I'm also rooting for you...it's so hard in the beginning. If you persist, I'm sure you'll figure it out. I'd say the white rice is not a good idea but at least if you combine it with protein such as chicken/turkey/fish and fiber (non-starchy veggies), then it should help a lot. Don't forget to check the prices on frozen veggies, which have at least as much nutrition as the fresh kind (if not more) but sometimes have good sales.
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 11:50 PM   #21  
The Futurist

S/C/G: 336/336/200

Height: 5'6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dichi View Post
Muscle milk has a bunch of sugar. You can get a big container of protein powder for cheap that will have less sugar and less calories. It will cost a lot less than muscle milk.
Muscle milk is 230 cal with 6 grams of sugar o.O
MandarinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 12:01 AM   #22  
The Futurist

You guys are all great. Thanks for the feedback. This is definitely going to be a trial and error session. I will speak with my PCP and let you guys know if this thread hasn't died by then about what she says. Also, I was given a tip by someone about some new way of helping the pounds drop. Called sleeve gastrectomy? I looked it up and sounds promising. Even Chris Christie is doing his thing to lose his way by a similar means.
Old 05-09-2013, 12:44 AM   #23  
Hooping my Life Away

S/C/G: 298/218.1/170

Height: 5'8"

Chris Christie got lap band, not a sleeve. Either way, weight loss surgery is a tool. You still need to eat right, exercise and take care of your body.

But I know when I eat healthy, I fill my plate with 85% veggies. I make sure it's multiple servings of veggies in one meals. It could help. If I were to have just one normal serving of veggies. I bulk up with veggies. You can find frozen veggies, veggies on sale, fruits, and healthy meats on sale sometimes. I've been able to eat well very cheap before. Also check out the shoes string meals section where there is amazing ideas on cheap/eating well. I really like protein/veg snacks between my bigger meals.

Also if you are used to eating 5000 calories a day, 1200 would feel awful. So I'd definitely not go too low calorie wise. You just need a 500 deficient

Last edited by Daimere; 05-09-2013 at 12:46 AM.
Daimere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 09:46 AM   #24  
Faith of a mustard seed

S/C/G: 196/150/150

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandarinX View Post
Power through it, huh? Carb withdrawal. I'll speak to my PCP about that.
Absolutely....obviously there is no way to get over any "addiction" unless you stop taking it. Of course your body is being "shocked into submission" and it's gonna fight back for a while.

It might be a good idea to talk to your Primary anyway though, your right. Just to rule out that there are no underlying conditions that have reared up. And maybe if it's too bad for you, you could try a weaning process, but I have always found that bad carbs make me crave more carbs...so proceed with caution and good luck. It sucks and I'm sorry you have to go through this. But I think it will get better.
Gonna Get There Soon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 11:26 AM   #25  
The Futurist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonna Get There Soon View Post
Absolutely....obviously there is no way to get over any "addiction" unless you stop taking it. Of course your body is being "shocked into submission" and it's gonna fight back for a while.

It might be a good idea to talk to your Primary anyway though, your right. Just to rule out that there are no underlying conditions that have reared up. And maybe if it's too bad for you, you could try a weaning process, but I have always found that bad carbs make me crave more carbs...so proceed with caution and good luck. It sucks and I'm sorry you have to go through this. But I think it will get better.

Thank you very much, you guys are great and informative.
Old 05-09-2013, 11:29 AM   #26  

Drink lots of water throughout the day that keeps me filled. Also from my experience nuts can also help but watch for calories. Snack light I recently tried kale chips from Trader Joes low in calories yet very yummy. Hope this helps
Meenaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 11:43 AM   #27  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

I will be curious to know what your PCP says. Most will not endorse a low carb diet, but remember, vegetables are carbs. They are complex carbs and are good for you. The carbs people have been talking about in this thread are starchy carbs, such as the rice you are eating and also bread, potatoes and sweets. I say don't try to eliminate them altogether but eat them in small portions with your meal of veggies and protein. This is probably what your PCP will recommend.

Also, exercise, like taking a walk, can reduce your appetite along with strengthing your muscles, heart and lungs. It seems to give you a feeling of well-being. It doesn't have to be high intensity, just get moving.
Wannabehealthy is offline   Reply With Quote