Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Closed Thread

Old 06-01-2003, 08:57 AM   #1  
Blooming Day by Day

Question Anyone trying to lose weight AND dealing with perimenopause out there?

Hi, everyone! I've received some great support on other threads since I joined last month, so I thought I'd start one of my own on a topic that I haven't seen here. I'm 47 years old, a married working mom of two girls, 12 and 8. I've been dealing with perimenopause for about 3 years now. Before I go on, let me say that I have firmly decided that hormone replacement therapy is not for me. I figure that this is a natural process, and I want to go through it using natural means--lifestyle changes to support my body, mind, and spirit. I have a great nurse practitioner in my OB-GYN's office who has been very supportive of me in my goal.

Over time I have discovered that the hormone changes normal to this part of my life tend to affect me in many ways--my energy level, my moods, and my ability to tolerate frustration. I also get migraine headaches. And then of course there are the surprise periods--or skipped periods--and a general feeling that I don't know my body anymore. And guess what? I also firmly believe the whole thing affects my eating patterns, and not for the good. I would like to lose 30 pounds. I walk regularly, and am not trying to do anything drastic to lose the weight, except live a healthy lifestyle. I am realizing more and more how perimenopause fits into the whole package, and that I have to consider it in my personal program.

Is there anyone out there dealing with similar issues? I'd love to hear from you and learn how you are dealing with them. I'll be glad to share more of my story.
Old 06-01-2003, 09:31 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 144/137/128

Height: 5 ft. 4.5 in.

Default Same here...glad you wrote

Same boat. I'm turning 46 soon and it seems I can't lose any weight any more but the lbs. seem to creep up. Last year I was about 5 lbs. less than I'm now. Yes, I get the migraines, too...very excrutiating. I've dabbled in desperate diet plans. I can't seem to stick to weight watchers (I need something more stringent but it works for many people). A long time ago I lost on the ww plan that had the food exchanges. What I'm going to try now is the Richard Simmons plan (I have the foodmover) because it seems healthy and the closest thing to the ww plan I lost the weight on many years ago. I usually exercise an hour a day anyway and I need to be conscious with my water drinking. Goals for today: stick to program and drink that water. I'm going to try to report here. Let's do this together...it's a tough road ahead.
Old 06-01-2003, 11:05 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 249/215/165

Height: 5/5

Hi! Was in the same boat. I am 36 and when I was 34 I started into that lovely realtionship with my body. I was still able to lose weight thru hard work and lots of determination. I was laughted at by one doctor and my dh as well. When I was 35 I was in constant pain and as a result was dx'd endo. And went thru a hyst this year. Now that is over but I have the issues with the lack of engery and the headaches. I have opted for HRT I was going to do NPC but with a heart condition that wasn't considered. The HRT has helped me so much I am finally able to lose weight SHOCK! I am down a total of 25lbs since my hyst in Feb. Slow and steady but I am getting there. Try the NPC it is all natural and helps some with the symptons you are having.

sandy
Old 06-01-2003, 03:20 PM   #4  
Blooming Day by Day

Exclamation Wow!! That was quick!

Musicgal and gigglez--I was surprised to get replies to my post so quickly. It guess it really is an issue out there. I don't think it gets talked about enough.

Musicgal--I'd be glad to keep this thread going. I get so confused at times about what my body is doing. Like I said before, it's always a new and different surprise that's happening. The hardest for me are the mood swings and headaches. I have a tendency to get very angry and short tempered , rather than down. I've scared some people, I think, because I'm not normally a crabby person. And I never know it's coming. You're right about the headaches-- they feel like a knife going through one of my eyes and then down my neck into a shoulder--sometimes lasting for more than one day to varying degrees. I have learned that exercise, extra rest (when I can get it), and keeping my stress level as low as possible (did I say I was a married, working mom of two girls, 12 and 8??) helps keep me on an even keel. Also, eating protein together with carbs helps me with moods/energy. Carbs alone are no good for me these days. That's one of the reasons I am trying to lose weight without a drastic diet, just sensible eating. I don't want to deal with the physical and emotional stress of a very structured plan. My irregularity of cycle also affects "quantity" in my intimate relationship with hubby because I'm scared of pregnancy. We're Catholics and use natural family planning form of birth control, which is easier when a woman has a regular cycle. I'm always trying to figure out where I am in my cycle. Very frustrating!!

Gigglez--NPC--natural progesterone cream, right? I have some of that. A coworker gave me some she no longer used. I am a bit uncertain when to use it, though, since my cycles are so confused. What I read is the last half of the cycle is the correct time. Sometimes I have trouble figuring out when that is.

Thanks for posting, ladies. I look forward to hearing from you again. You've given me "newinspiration"!
Old 06-01-2003, 03:35 PM   #5  

all right ladies...... count me in
i'm 41, working mom of 3(12,9, and 4)- was on bcp's to regulate my cycle, but the i developed high blood pressure- no more bcp's- her recomendation... tubal ligation or iud. i dont want that. so can you tell me more about this NPC?? all natural? help w/other side effects, ie:hot flashes, moodiness, etc? where do you get it? expensive? thanks sooooo much for your help.
Old 06-01-2003, 08:27 PM   #6  
Blooming Day by Day

My coworker got NPC at a health food store. I remember her telling me it was expensive--$25.00??? for a tube--I can't remember. She did say it helped her symptoms--hot flashes and headaches in particular--for a while, but then her symptoms got worse and she decided to go on HRT. I've read about NPC in a couple of menopause books, but I really don't know much more about it. I don't know if I'll use it myself. I like to work on my lifestyle if I can before I try anything else. Anyway, that's what I know. Hope it helps.
Old 06-01-2003, 09:42 PM   #7  

Ok here is what I have learned about NPC. First of all I didn't have any certain time of the month to use it. I still have endo and before the hyst the Npc helped with the pain and the hot flashes. Doseing is simple about 1/4 tsp 2-3 times daily. Rub the cream on the breast, stomach. neck, thighs, bottom, or face. As for the side effects if I remember correctly if you get too much in your system you will alter your cycles. As for the cost I got my at GNC and it was 25.00 for a twin pack. If you compare that with the cost of HRT it is rather cheap, or at least it is with the type that I am taking. However, it can be mixed at some pharamacies, with the specified stregth from your doc. If you have heart problems it is best to check before using it as it can cause more problems. Also is you have had an injection of lupron do not use! I know that I have made it as clear as muddy water but this is something that everyone has to experiment with for themselves.

sandy
Old 06-02-2003, 06:40 AM   #8  
Blooming Day by Day

Angry

Thanks, gigglez, for the info on NPC. Actually you told me a few things I wasn't aware of, so what you said wasn't as muddy as you thought.

Just to let you ladies know, I'm very glad I started this thread. It makes me feel not so alone with the whole process, natural as it is. Keep those posts coming, and I will do the same.
Old 06-02-2003, 08:29 AM   #9  

Hi ladies! I am a newbie here and just wanted to add to what others are saying. I am 49 and have been suffering with it all for a good 4-5 years. I like some of the rest of you will under no circumstances take HRT. I am obese not just overweight and I think that they have not proven to me that it is safe!

I have been on a program since the beginning of the year and have lost 90 lbs so it doesn't seem to be blocking my losing weight. I do water aerobics/power walking 5-7 times a week and get in plenty of water.

I have run the gambit of problems including, hot flashes, night sweats, muscle aches, insomnia, irrational irritability and on and on. Though I continue to have periods, they have become significantly less.

Hope all you ladies succeed on your journey.

Faye

Summer goal: 40 lbs by October 1

Last edited by gma22; 06-02-2003 at 08:33 AM.
Old 06-03-2003, 11:22 AM   #10  
Blooming Day by Day

Angry Welcome!!!

gma2one--Glad to have you aboard with us, and welcome to the site. I've been here only a short time myself, and have found everyone so helpful!! Keep posting. It's great to share on this topic with others who are experiencing it. I think it gives us all strength.
Old 06-03-2003, 12:57 PM   #11  

Hi everyone. Well I have lost 9 lbs this week. No, I am not doing anything nuts, I have just stuck to my program and exercised everyday and it is coming off me pretty quick again. I lost 90 lbs in 4 1/2 months, then got sick and gained, went on vacation and gained splurging and now am back on track and losing.

I have to tell you that my adorable dh (we have been married nearly 31 years) takes this stuff all in stride and with a good sense of humor. He keeps his mouth shut when I am walking around the house haranguing about this or that, puts on sweats even in the heat of summer when I am dying (anyone ever see Father of the Bride part 2? That's jack!! Trying to bundle up and keep warm while I sit naked trying to cool off), cuddles me when I feel bad, rubs me down with stinky stuff when my muscles hurt and is a generally good guy about the whole mess. I am also in a place where I ovulate over and over and the doctor says that is because when my hormones drop, my ovaries think it is time to ovulate so they try to and then I have the pain with that.
Aint's bein' a woman grand?

Faye
Old 06-05-2003, 10:34 AM   #12  
Blooming Day by Day

Angry HI!

Hi, ladies, I'm back! I've had some issues to work through at work for the last few days, and my focus was there. Things have been resolved and are moving ahead, so I'm feeling much better.

Gma2one: It sounds like you are going through a rough time with your symptoms. It also sounds like you have a great support in your husband. That's wonderful. My hubby tries to understand, but the whole thing confuses him greatly. However, we never stop communicating about it. I have been experiencing something rather the opposite of you. I have been having cycles where I don't ovulate at all. I know this because part of the natural birth control method my husband and I use involves temperature taking to check for ovulation. The basal body temperature goes up about 4/10 of a degree when ovulation has completed. Well, for two months, that has not happened, and that is new for me. And I have gotten my period anyway. I'm just finishing up on this one that has been much lighter than the normal heavy stuff I am used to, but it came 3 weeks after a heavy one. I deal with mood issues a lot too these days. At times I have little patience and can easily be set off temperwise. I never know it's coming till it's here, but I have learned that it usually happens either before or during my period. I'm trying not to alienate anyone with that one.

What keeps me going is the idea that what I'm going through is a normal phase of life--difficult as it can be at times--and I can grow and become a better person through it all. I also keep my goal to be HEALTHY, not necessarily having the perfect body or being the perfect weight. I feel stronger as a woman and an individual for some reason through all this--I don't really understand why, although I read about that concept in the book, "The Wisdom of Menopause" by Christiane Northrup. Well, I have to go now. My kids get out of school for the summer in 1 hour, and I have to wash some dishes and shower for work within the next 45 minutes before I go get them.

Take care of yourselves, ladies. Talk to you soon. Barb
Old 06-05-2003, 02:49 PM   #13  

Hi ladies!

Barb: At least I haven't had to deal with pregnancy issues for lots and lots of years. My daughter is 26 and dh had a vasectomy after she was born for MY health. We have one of each so that was ok. I do get the urge for another baby still, but I talk myself out of that one pretty quick. All I have to think is "teenager" and it goes right away! Anyway, I have my sweet grandson to take the place of another child. I don't get to see him as much as I would like, but I try and take advantage of the time I do have with him. I also have my two babies at home, my yorkie and my tabby.

I am now down 13 lbs for the week. whoopee! When I stay on program and exercise everyday, the weight comes off me quick. Believe me I am thankful as all get out! I am still dealing with clothing issues though. My mind keeps wanting to grab the biggest size and I don't need it anymore. I have lost a cup and 2 girth sizes in bras and between 2-4 clothing sizes depending on what it is (bottom lots bigger than top!) Everytime I try something on I keep getting the biggest size and then have to try something else. It is a terrific feeling though.

Well, I need to get out on my patio and sweep the deck and clean up a little.

Faye
Old 06-07-2003, 04:59 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 144/137/128

Height: 5 ft. 4.5 in.

Default This is a great thread for us

New Inspiration, I'm so happy you started this thread. Sorry, it took me a week to check back. To Gigglez, I am glad things are getting better in the weight loss department. All of you on this thread are giving me much needed information and hope. I'm also Catholic, too, New Inspiration and I have two children a few yrs. younger (boys, though) so I can relate about the stress and hormone thing. It just seems I have a hard time trying to lose weight and as the days go on, it gets harder. I exercise an hour a day which doesn't seem to help with the weight but it does help with the mood so I'm not going to give that up. Does anyone do mind/body exercises like yoga or pilates? I do it sometimes (I have tapes) but am thinking of going to classes on a regular basis (time is a challenge though). Just wondering if yoga, etc. helps anyone...I will report with any weight loss in a few days. Peace, everyone.
Old 06-07-2003, 09:22 PM   #15  

Hey just checking in. Weighed in on Wed and I am down to 184 and that is a 4lbs loss!!!!!!!!!!! Yippe for me. Faye I am so glad that you have a dh who is supportive of you. I am sad to report that I no longer have one of those. DH all of a sudden decied that he no longer wanted any responsibilites or anything. Says that he still loves me but no longer wants to be married. He wants to come and go as he pleases. I know that the last year was hard for me while I was going thru drug induced menopause and then finally went thru it surgically. All I got to do is keep thinking that I am going to be better off in the long run. Went on long enough. Catch everyone later!
Closed Thread