3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Support Forum > Weight Loss Support

Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Ok...so...my doctor's office called re: my weightloss

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2013, 02:27 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
elvislover324's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Canada
Posts: 3,689

Default Ok...so...my doctor's office called re: my weightloss

My doctor's office knows all that I'm going through with cancer/weightloss/fertility and that I'm on a serious mission to get this weight off and try to get a baby on the way. They are so supportive and try to keep me calm (LOL) and logical about my weightloss, hormones, stress, etc.

After gaining .6lbs last week and only losing .2 this week, I was a basket case when I left there on Monday. I know the doctor looked twice at me when I left as I think he knew I cried my eyes out with the nurse.

My nutritionist called me after reviewing my MFP info for the week...she thinks I'm not eating enough to support my C25K addition in my exercise!! Before I started C25K, I eat about 1100 calories a day and subtract out my exercise of 300-400 for a net of 700-800. I'm on Week 6 of C25K which adds about 30 mins. walk/run to my calories burned 3x a week but I haven't been adding in any food for them. I haven't been hungry to do that so I figured I was fine. She wants me to eat a bit more on days I work out that hard.

Are you kidding me?! I might have stalled because I don't eat more?! She obviously couldn't tell me the exact reason I haven't lost as my body is a mystery right now with my hormones/TOM 10 days ago/harder exercise but I felt so much better talking to her.

I have been perfect on my plan and really beating myself up inside not knowing what I could be doing wrong. This week I have been taking it easier on the exercise just due to frustration of working my butt off and not getting anything for it. Maybe it will pay off seeing that it's already Thursday and then I'll get back in my harder groove next week and increase my calories (assuming I get my onederland wish).

She emphasized not concentrating so much on the scale (and I know this) but it's just so hard.

But I will be really really mad if I figure out that I could have been stuffing my face with some of my exercise calories! (That statement contained a little bit of sarcasm. )

I feel so much better about things but still nervous about all of this. I want to weigh as low as possible when I go back to my fertility doctor at the end of this month.
__________________
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
elvislover324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 02:34 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
wolfgirl69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: California (southern), United States
Posts: 433

S/C/G: 175.6/173/135 & Fit

Height: 5ft8

Default

I'm sorry about all your struggles I'm glad your feeling much better! And try your best not to stress about your goal here. It won't help your weight loss. Maybe try some relaxation methods like drinking green tea and stuff.
__________________




Going back to my old weight.

= 5 pounds

Last edited by wolfgirl69 : 05-02-2013 at 02:34 PM.
wolfgirl69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 02:36 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
gailr42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Mojave desert
Posts: 2,349

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5'2"

Default

I am wondering if you are loosing fat and building muscle which might actually show a net gain on the scale...I believe you and congratulate you for being perfectly on plan. I wish I could say that about me. LOL. You have been doing so well, please don't beat yourself up. I know that's much easier said than done, but think positively. You are an inspiration to me.
__________________
gailr42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 02:48 PM   #4
There I am!
 
thnknthin1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 773

S/C/G: 279/ticker/160

Height: 5'6"

Default

Wonderful news! Glad you are feeling better about things after speaking to her. You know, when I stalled out for about 6 weeks I did some calorie cycling which included increasing calories for several days and back to lower calories, that seemed to budge my stall. I hope it does the same for you as well.

I love MFP! I can give you my username if you want a friend on there.
__________________
thnknthin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 02:54 PM   #5
I'm bringing sexy back!
 
Mozzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 4,228

S/C/G: 242/234.5/167

Height: 5'5"

Default

Hugs!

I think her advice is worth a try! Good luck!
__________________

One for every five pounds lost!
Mozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 02:59 PM   #6
Embracing the suck
 
JohnP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: California - East Bay
Posts: 3,185

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

Default

Learning the difference between weight loss and fat loss is something every dieter should do.

Why haven't you lost weight? Simple answer: who knows! You're retaining water for one reason or another.

There are a large number of factors that come into play when you are talking about weight loss. Stepped up your exercise? Yep. Stressing over the scale? Yep. Increasing exercise and stress are the two non dietary "big ones" when it comes to water flux.

This should not be confused with fat loss.

Fat loss is fairly linear but you cannot measure it very easily or accurately. Fat loss is always an equation of calories.

Based on the calories you're eating - you have lost fat. Why are you retaining water? Who knows! The scale will reward you with a "whoosh" soon enough.

Knowledge is power people.
__________________
"Getting solid information is easier than ever. Getting misinformation is even easier." - Kaplods

Maintaining for two years and I eat whatever I want - just not however much I want. Details here.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 03:00 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
elvislover324's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Canada
Posts: 3,689

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgirl69 View Post
I'm sorry about all your struggles I'm glad your feeling much better! And try your best not to stress about your goal here. It won't help your weight loss. Maybe try some relaxation methods like drinking green tea and stuff.
Thanks, wolfgirl. I'm trying so hard not to stress!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gailr42 View Post
I am wondering if you are loosing fat and building muscle which might actually show a net gain on the scale...I believe you and congratulate you for being perfectly on plan. I wish I could say that about me. LOL. You have been doing so well, please don't beat yourself up. I know that's much easier said than done, but think positively. You are an inspiration to me.
Thanks so much, gail! I'm hoping it's muscle too!! I'm only perfect on plan as I want a baby so very badly. It's literally the one thing I think about when I am tempted to go off plan but so far it's working for me. Positive thoughts, positive thoughts!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thnknthin1 View Post
Wonderful news! Glad you are feeling better about things after speaking to her. You know, when I stalled out for about 6 weeks I did some calorie cycling which included increasing calories for several days and back to lower calories, that seemed to budge my stall. I hope it does the same for you as well.

I love MFP! I can give you my username if you want a friend on there.
Thanks, thnkthin! I have a feeling she called me as I was so sad on Monday when I left there. So it was a check-up call except made it look like it was an info call, you know? Either way, I'm happy she called. I hope the cycling works too but I'm not going to try until next week. I think the stress relief I feel right now was worth the whole phone call. I didn't want her to think I was cheating on my diet as I wasn't! And...I don't have any friends on MFP, not even my husband (lol). It's a username set up just for my doctor's office. Thank you though!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mozzy View Post
Hugs!

I think her advice is worth a try! Good luck!
Thanks, Mozzy! I was going to tell her you are waiting for me in the 190s before you leave! (JK lol)
elvislover324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 03:02 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
elvislover324's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Canada
Posts: 3,689

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnP View Post
Learning the difference between weight loss and fat loss is something every dieter should do.

Why haven't you lost weight? Simple answer: who knows! You're retaining water for one reason or another.

There are a large number of factors that come into play when you are talking about weight loss. Stepped up your exercise? Yep. Stressing over the scale? Yep. Increasing exercise and stress are the two non dietary "big ones" when it comes to water flux.

This should not be confused with fat loss.

Fat loss is fairly linear but you cannot measure it very easily or accurately. Fat loss is always an equation of calories.

Based on the calories you're eating - you have lost fat. Why are you retaining water? Who knows! The scale will reward you with a "whoosh" soon enough.

Knowledge is power people.
Thank you so much for replying on my thread. I trust your posts and am so happy you are giving us your knowledge. And I'm so glad for fat loss! Thank you, John.
elvislover324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 03:31 PM   #9
Waka Waka!
 
NorthernChick13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Northern Canada
Posts: 920

S/C/G: 210/ticker/130

Height: 5"6

Default

Hey Elvis! I love that your doctor is giving you such personalized attention! Upping your calories could totally be the right step for you. Jillian says the only failure you can have in life is to disengage, and you are CLEARLY engaged in this! You've got this!!!
__________________
Weighing on the first of every month only! Countdown to the Calgary Stampede in July (and rocking the cowgirl look!)



NorthernChick13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 03:48 PM   #10
I've picked my hard...
 
PreciousMissy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Denver
Posts: 1,463

S/C/G: 240/216/170

Height: 5'4"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvislover324 View Post
Thanks, thnkthin! I have a feeling she called me as I was so sad on Monday when I left there. So it was a check-up call except made it look like it was an info call, you know? Either way, I'm happy she called. I hope the cycling works too but I'm not going to try until next week. I think the stress relief I feel right now was worth the whole phone call.
That is a GREAT doctor/nutritionist right there! Just the fact that they called you to make sure that you were doing ok and to reevaluate your current plan speaks volumes.

and

WHOO-HOO for more food!!!
__________________


Mini-Goals: 10%/24lb~pedicure (met 10/16/13) - halfway/35lb~new clothes - onederland/41lb~massage - goal/170~new dress (and maybe diamonds hehe)

= For every 5lb lost (hopefully to re-add more!)

PreciousMissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 03:53 PM   #11
Downloading 10% complete
 
the shiv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: UK
Posts: 820

S/C/G: 190/188/170

Height: 5'4"

Default

What a relief! That's so reassuring that your team is really paying attention to how you're doing, and is willing to change things up as you progress to help you meet your goals

I've heard a lot about exercise causing weight stalls, with water retention masking fat loss that's going on in the background - same goes for stress. The stress I have plenty experience of, the exercise... Not so much, yet!

So: you're perfectly on plan as for what's happening with your body. But as for what's happening with your mind? It sounds like that area could use support. Our minds are so involved with our hormones, which are tied to our weight loss. Are you able to see a counsellor to help you through the mental aspects of this journey? You're going through a lot, and with so much attached to the outcome, you shouldn't be expected to go through this alone Ok, you've got us guys and your family & friends, but some personal attention from someone whose job it is to just listen and help you process your emotions might be worth a thought. I'm not prying, I hope that came across ok, just throwing it out there as an idea. It's certainly helped me in the past, but of course, my circumstances are different.

Either way, I hope this change in approach helps you whoosh closer to where you want to be
__________________
2.5 years later... found the way to combine IE with calorie counting!

the shiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 03:53 PM   #12
Trying to be in the 160s
 
IanG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Washington, D.C.
Posts: 4,672

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

Default

I am convinced it's probably water Elvis with all this exercise you are doing. My weight went up 2lbs in two days once I joined the gym and dropped a pound this morning. Those are real big swings for me.

I'm paying less attention to the scale now I am exercising although I will still weigh daily. I'm just gonna have to live with bigger fluctuations if I am working out.
__________________

Running because of Diana
Believing because of Sue
Elvis lives!
Getting fashion advice from Sum
ReillyJ and Carpediem saved my knees!
Don't believe the hype. EAT MORE FISH.
If the bar ain't bendin', you're just pretendin'!

Last edited by IanG : 05-02-2013 at 03:54 PM.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 03:53 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
elvislover324's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Canada
Posts: 3,689

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernChick13 View Post
Hey Elvis! I love that your doctor is giving you such personalized attention! Upping your calories could totally be the right step for you. Jillian says the only failure you can have in life is to disengage, and you are CLEARLY engaged in this! You've got this!!!
Thanks NorthernChick!! I love my doctor's office. They act like I'm a special patient because of my amazing weightloss when I thank them so much for helping me. They always tell me they just give me the direction and that it's me doing the actual work. But they make me want to succeed, you know? And I will never disengage, no matter what.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreciousMissy View Post
That is a GREAT doctor/nutritionist right there! Just the fact that they called you to make sure that you were doing ok and to reevaluate your current plan speaks volumes.

and

WHOO-HOO for more food!!!
Awwww, thanks Missy!! Like I said above, my doctor's office is amazing. They are doing everything they can to help me succeed. And lol @ more food. It actually makes me so very nervous! Logically I can't see eating more to lose more but I'm trusting they know what to do! But I'm not doing it til next week, I'm afraid to overload myself up before Monday's weigh-in!
elvislover324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 04:00 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
elvislover324's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Canada
Posts: 3,689

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by the shiv View Post
What a relief! That's so reassuring that your team is really paying attention to how you're doing, and is willing to change things up as you progress to help you meet your goals

I've heard a lot about exercise causing weight stalls, with water retention masking fat loss that's going on in the background - same goes for stress. The stress I have plenty experience of, the exercise... Not so much, yet!

So: you're perfectly on plan as for what's happening with your body. But as for what's happening with your mind? It sounds like that area could use support. Our minds are so involved with our hormones, which are tied to our weight loss. Are you able to see a counsellor to help you through the mental aspects of this journey? You're going through a lot, and with so much attached to the outcome, you shouldn't be expected to go through this alone Ok, you've got us guys and your family & friends, but some personal attention from someone whose job it is to just listen and help you process your emotions might be worth a thought. I'm not prying, I hope that came across ok, just throwing it out there as an idea. It's certainly helped me in the past, but of course, my circumstances are different.

Either way, I hope this change in approach helps you whoosh closer to where you want to be
Thank you, Shiv!! My doctor's office is amazing, I think I made them nervous having a crying breakdown 2 weeks in a row. Now I feel bad!! But it makes me feel so loved and supported knowing they checked up on me and had suggestions to help.

I have been offered "mental" help with all I'm going through but I declined. I'm such a private person (you'd never know that here, would you??) and the thought of someone having a "mental health" file on me would be more stress than it's worth. My family members have totally benefitted from that type of help but I'm so darn stubborn and try to be so self sufficient that I can't do something like that. And I always get nervous if I dig too deep in my past, what other issues will it cause. I'm trying to let sleeping dogs lie and just deal with my present issues right now. And I can't thank you all enough!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanG View Post
I am convinced it's probably water Elvis with all this exercise you are doing. My weight went up 2lbs in two days once I joined the gym and dropped a pound this morning. Those are real big swings for me.

I'm paying less attention to the scale now I am exercising although I will still weigh daily. I'm just gonna have to live with bigger fluctuations if I am working out.
Thanks Ian, you could be right! All I can think of is that C25K is getting consistently harder and I'm feeling muscles I haven't felt in over a decade! I wanted to start doing the 30 Day Shred too, I'm so glad I waited. I know it's just water weight but still, onederland is eluding me in the worst way!!
elvislover324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 04:29 PM   #15
On a break with Baby #5
 
Arctic Mama's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Alaska
Posts: 3,754

S/C/G: 257 /ticker/ 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

Default

What an excellent doctor. That's extremely rare to get such caring, personal advice that is actually useful!

Your calories may be a little low if you're trying to build muscle, sure, but I'd say go with your hunger as the best litmus on this one. And like the other posters, I'm thinking this is just mysterious water retention. If you've been on plan you ARE losing fat tissue with that set of exercise/diet behaviors. But I know how frustrating it can be when the scale doesn't show it
__________________
Taryl - http://www.aurorafiberarts.com/weightloss

Weight loss since Oct 2008:
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice
and no guarantee is made against accuracy.


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
October Feather's Chat! JossFit Featherweights 294 10-31-2012 09:11 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:14 PM.






Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.3.2