Finding balance while pregnant...

• So I feel weird posting this is the "weight loss support" thread since I am pregnant and obviously not wanting to lose weight during my pregnancy...
    HOWEVER..
    I got pregnant right in the middle of my weight loss journey and even though I can't lose weight... that doesn't mean I can't work out and eat as healthy as possible!
    Whenever I try to talk about it with people I usually get a "Don't worry about it while your pregnant.. eat what you want"...
    And I just think that is terrible advice!
    With my first daughter I did eat whatever I want... and I remember after giving birth one of the first thoughts I had was.. "Darn.. now I have to get back on my diet!".. and I *never* did.. I ballooned up and never lost it.

I don't want that with this pregnancy. I don't want there to be a significant difference in the type of foods I am eating the day before and after I deliver. The *amount* might change, but not the type of foods.

For me, this whole journey, is about being healthier. It's about choosing living foods over dead foods as often as possible.. it's about staying active!

It's just very hard to find support sometimes for continuing a healthier lifestyle while pregnant....

I have less than 3 months left of my pregnancy and I want the transition after pregnancy to be seamless.. I don't want that feeling of "ugh, now I have to diet..."... just.. "okay, I can cut out that extra serving of nuts, fruits or carbs I added in to help support the pregnancy.."..

I wish I had a support group of women with the same mentality and we could talk about the obstacles involved. I do get tired of people thinking I am harming my baby because I am not stuffing my face with fried food..!
    I am eating plenty of calories and well enough.. just choosing healthier!

So kind of a rant, but just wanted to get that out
  • Well, my 2nd is now 5 months old but I do totally relate how hard it is to eat well when pregnant, aside from cravings, it's difficult when people push things on you - after all, a fetus can't be healthy without cake right? yeah... right! My first pregnancy sucked from eating way too much of the wrong thing. Congrats and good luck! I found the 2nd birth to be much better too, just from taking better care of myself.
  • Hi - I lost weight while pregnant. I ate more healthily than ever and my loss and baby's gain were just about even. As long as you are eating healthy foods and enough to support your baby's growth, there is no reason - especially if you are overweight/obese to begin with - why you can't lose while pregnant.
    Cravings are another issue - I didn't really have any. [I did have a severe aversion to white potatoes in any form (and my child still doesn't eat them, not even fries) but that's another story.] A splurge here and there won't hurt you, just focus on the big picture of providing all the nutrients your baby needs and you will be fine.
    Oh and congratulations
  • Hugs

Enjoy your pregnancy. If enjoying your pregnancy means eating healthier that's totally fine. The most important thing you can do for your baby is to take care of yourself.
  • I forgot I was going to say that if someone is pushing food you don't want to eat, just tell them it makes you nauseous. No one wants to see that! Pregnancies are all so different and people's cravings and aversions can be very weird, probably no one will question you further.
  • Tell the food pushers that you are following your doctor's advice.
  • I just smiled and said 'no thank you' the entire pregnancy, and it worked fine. I can't praise the benefits of staying on plan during pregnancy enough - low weight gain, healthy baby, easy birth, and having everyone constantly exclaim how good I looked didn't hurt, either
  • Not that I've ever been pregnant so take what I say with a grain of salt, but there was something on Yahoo today about suggesting only upping your calories by 300 a day. Plus, I would be especially careful of what you eat. Just because you crave something doens't mean it's necessarily good for you and probably not for a unborn child.
  • That must be so tough, FunSize! I have never been pregnant but my husband and I are slowly getting our life together for that to potentially happen. I think about this exact problem though and how difficult it will be to stay healthy and be pregnant because of all the social pressure to just "let loose" on cake, chocolate, and fried pickles with ice cream, etc.. Your mindset is probably the best one to be in and for that you're to be commended. Keep chugging along on that healthy eating train! You can do it!
  • I totally know what you mean!

Wih my first I gained a ton of weight and I was just miserable. People keep saying mean things too, so that didnt help (my MIL told me once: after you have the baby we can lock you in a room so you don't eat... I'll watch the baby for you!) Nice huh??!!!

With my second I was overweight (still trying to lose the weight from the 1st) but during that pregnancy I ate good with some indulges but nothing crazy. I only gained 10-12lbs, by delivery I was smaller than when I started.

This time around, I was somewhat normal and people are totally pushing food on me. The same people that told me not to eat so much during my first tells me know to eat because its not enough... Uggh! You never win!! Anyhow, I am working out and watching what I eat as much as I can. I am at 153 right now, but I am only 16 weeks... So we will be where I end up!