Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 04-18-2013, 07:56 AM   #16  

S/C/G: HW:200+/LW:120/CW:142

Height: 5'1 and a 1/2" (yes the 1/2" matters!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by berryblondeboys View Post
Reality is though, if they are diet fatigued and force it anyway, they are likely to overeat here and there anyway and see negligible loss or no loss anyway as they try to force themselves to stay on plan and since they are diet fatigued, they will continue to struggle.
Melissa makes a VERY good point here! Whatever you're going to do - lose or maintain - make it part of your plan. Then you really know what you're doing and how it affects you. Don't get so tired (mentally or physically) that you lose control of your plan.
JenMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 10:33 AM   #17  

S/C/G: 195/145/145

Height: 5'11"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklegirl07 View Post
So, as I was reading, I came across the group Eat more to weigh less on mfp. I've been pondering over doing a "metabolic reset" which is essentially eating your maintenance calories for 4-8 weeks to bring your metabolism level back up.
All I can say is that none of the leading obesity experts I've interviewed have ever endorsed this approach or cited research to back it up. Not that the experts know everything, but until overwhelming evidence to the contrary comes in, I'll go with what they've told me, which happens to align with my own intuition.

Freelance
freelancemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 12:38 PM   #18  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

Echo everyone else's sentiments that a "planned" break is better than a totally unplanned fit of reactive overeating, which is more or less inevitable for every dieter because all that time being spent hungry at a deficit catches up to you. A planned maintenance break can minimize instances of snap overeating...for a lot of people, not EVERYONE since no two people's bodies/minds work exactly the same way.

I'm trying to lose a little fat and have been eating at a very small deficit for 3 days and already want a diet break >_______________<
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 12:54 PM   #19  
Starting over sucks.

S/C/G: 485/445/250

Height: 6'1

I have never done a refeed/taken a break/ whatever you want to call it for the express purpose of breaking a stall or upping my metabolism. I take breaks for mental reasons - mostly, I want to cheat a little and just maintain. About every six weeks or so, depending on food based holidays, work etc, I take a week to ten days where I allow a few more carbs, go a little over my calories, skip a swim etc. I never full out quit my plan. Generally, I expect to gain and unless I've been HEAVY on the carbs and put on water, I usually maintain or lose a little.

It's not scientific - but keep in mind that your mental status plays into this, and if the stall is frustrating, a break may be what you need to get your head into the game, but I wouldn't do it to counteract metabolic damage, because I doubt that's an issue.
Radiojane is offline   Reply With Quote