Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 04-15-2013, 12:32 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 344/311/140

Height: 5'6

Default Zumba tonight, feeling a little anxious

I met a very nice woman at the grocery store and she invited me to her Zumba class tonight at 6. I told her I'd be there, and I really want to go. I think it would be a great workout and a way to meet new people. (I just moved here from out of state and all I have is family)

I am starting to get anxiety about it. Am I going to be the biggest person there? I asked the woman that yesterday and she said no and it's laid back. I want to believe that but I am scared of being judged. I know I shouldn't care what other people think and I am proving that I do want to lose weight and be healthy by just going, but I don't know. I'm also scared I'm not going to be able to keep up.

I'm forcing myself to go. This is obviously more of a vent than a question. I just wish I knew a way to be as excited about it as I was yesterday!
Skettihead03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 12:40 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 201/154.6/135

Height: 5'6"

I do the same thing! I make plans to do something whether its exercise or not and then when it comes up I no longer want to do it.

Having taken many a Zumba class I can tell you that they are fun and everyone is usually staring at the instructor for the moves and not anyone else. It's a ton of fun and I bet you'll find yourself laughing along and having a good time.

It's always worse in our heads before anything than it actually it. Just tell yourself that once you get there that it will better.

You go girl!! Kick *** in Zumba!
CaityCait88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 12:46 PM   #3  
Living Intuitively

S/C/G: Heavy/Happy/Free

Zumba is SOOOO fun. I'm taking a class tomorrow.

It doesn't matter if you can't keep up. Just keep shaking your hips. Moving burns calories.
lunarsongbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 01:02 PM   #4  
Nancy

S/C/G: 353/T/168

Height: 5'3"

I do Zumba all the time and I love it!! I am usually the largest person in my class, and in the moments it bothers me I comfort myself by telling myself I am performing a public service by filling that role. It has never really been an issue that I have found. Everyone I have met in class is super nice and encouraging.

Also, don't be afraid to modify. I don't do anything with full jumps, but have several moves I can substitute. Just keep moving - that is what matters. Also, if you don't normally take dance classes give your brain some adjustment time. Following moves is a different set of circuitry than we normally use and takes some time to develop. Remember that many of the people there go all the time and know the choreography, so don't feel badly if they are following along and you aren't.
NotTheCheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 01:50 PM   #5  

Thanks for the encouragement. I'm gonna go and just enjoy myself while getting fit. Hopefully after the first time I'll be running to go back. Plus my first session is free so can't beat that.
Old 04-15-2013, 02:12 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 196/ticker/140

Height: 5'2"

Go ahead and go. It's a good way to get acquainted and you will do something good for your health. I wish there was someplace to go near where I am.
TheWanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 02:55 PM   #7  

I've been to one zumba class and I have to say I actually enjoyed it! (this from a woman who loathes exercise in any form) I went with my daughter. There were people of all ages, shapes, and sizes....the hard bodies stayed up in front and they were so busy concentrating on moving their bodies they never gave anyone else a second glance. I stayed in the back, mainly because I wasn't sure if I was going to be able to finish. I did (and I was dripping with sweat) but I didn't do everything just like everyone else did.

I'm sure it's set up that you can walk out and walk back in if you need to. Please don't be afraid to go....I think you need to do this as much for the socialization factor as for the exercise. You'll feel soooo much better for going, believe me! You can come home and treat yourself to a nice, long, luxurious bubble bath!

Good luck, and report back tomorrow (or later tonight) and let us know how it went for you!
SouthernMaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 04:00 PM   #8  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Height: 5'7

Zumba is so much fun! I'm the largest in the class and no one seems to notice or care. They are all too busy trying to shake their own hips to watch mine shake.
GirlyGirlSebas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 05:01 PM   #9  

I'm excited that you decided you are going no matter what!

Things like that make me so anxious, I wish I could be as brave as you.

I can't wait to read about your first Zumba class, maybe it will inspire me to try a class too.
elvislover324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 05:29 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 216/180.6/160

Height: 5'8"

I think you'll enjoy it. I take regular group classes (one of which is a Zumba hybrid called ZumZao). I love my classes and, as was said, people will be focusing on the teacher, not on you. Don't worry about it!

Also, keep this in mind...I'm a dancer (I have been dancing swing for 6 years or so). Even with that, I struggle sometimes in the class. Everyone in there was where you'll be tonight. They shouldn't judge at all.

Report back! :-)
Cali Doll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 07:10 PM   #11  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

Go have fun!

My only advice, though, is be careful with your body. Zumba is not designed in such a way to prevent injuries to those who have been unconditioned. It doesn't protect your back or knees. Thus, just go lightly and keep good posture, because Zumba-induced injuries are becoming a very common sight to therapists and chiropractors around the country. It can be an absolute blast and physically conditioning, too, but don't underestimate the potential for harm, either. Especially if you haven't been extremely active prior to this, just use caution.

/end mother hen mode
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 08:31 PM   #12  

UPDATE

Thank you arctic mama, I read up on Zumba before going and made sure I kept good posture and wore the right shoes!

Other than that - I. LOVE. ZUMBA. The lady who invited me didn't show! lol but I made myself stay anyways and everyone was so nice and welcoming. I loved the workouts, they were fun, and I could feel myself working places that I don't work when I just do my walks. I will most definitely be going back Wednesday. Thanks to all for the encouragement, and elvislover you should definitely give it a try!
Old 04-15-2013, 08:34 PM   #13  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skettihead03 View Post
UPDATE

Thank you arctic mama, I read up on Zumba before going and made sure I kept good posture and wore the right shoes!

Other than that - I. LOVE. ZUMBA. The lady who invited me didn't show! lol but I made myself stay anyways and everyone was so nice and welcoming. I loved the workouts, they were fun, and I could feel myself working places that I don't work when I just do my walks. I will most definitely be going back Wednesday. Thanks to all for the encouragement, and elvislover you should definitely give it a try!
I am so happy for you right now I want to dance for you!!!!

You are awesome for going and standing up to your fear. And I laughed that the lady who invited you didn't show, what the heck LOL!?!

You may have inspired me to think about it!
elvislover324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 08:50 PM   #14  

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvislover324 View Post
I am so happy for you right now I want to dance for you!!!!

You are awesome for going and standing up to your fear. And I laughed that the lady who invited you didn't show, what the heck LOL!?!

You may have inspired me to think about it!
You are so sweet! I hear the woman is an all-month regular so I would like to think maybe she had something come up. But you know what I rocked it without her And I'm glad you are considering it!
Old 04-16-2013, 05:22 PM   #15  
Living Intuitively

S/C/G: Heavy/Happy/Free

Was anyone wearing those belly dancing skirts?
I'm going to zumba tonight!
lunarsongbird is offline   Reply With Quote