The reasons we eat

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • Why do you eat?

Today I have a bit of a headache and my mind says, "Oh- You have a headache? Why don't you try grabbing a bite to eat?" (The voice in my head probably sounds like my mother's.) But I know that I'm not hungry.

Has anyone heard that idea before? Headache? Eat Something. (which might work for many people, but I eat plenty...promise.)

And it made me think...Isn't that interesting....I wonder what else makes me eat.

Have you sat down and thought about why you eat? Or what makes you want to eat?
  • because the food is there. Its as simple as that. I still have the bad habit of opening the fridge when I go into the kitchen (I do it at work too) just to see what is in there... even if I am just in there to fill up my cup with water. Old habits die hard I suppose. At least I just look... most of the time.
  • Aye, I hear you!
    We didn't do "Headache? - Eat" thing at my home, we did "Headache? - Drink!" which never helped anything eaither, but at least it wasn't making me eat extra calories

I, however, do reward-food and comfort-food. If I have been to a bad, unpleasant experience, I tend to make up for it by eating a dessert, or extra serving of something. If I am sad, I want chocolate.

What's the worse for me these days is that I eat a lot when I'm tired. Must be the reason I managed to GAIN weight while looking after new born twins. 21 pounds in half a year, and I was breastfeeding them!!! I just wish I weighted what I did right after my kids were born. Not many people can say that
  • Ronja, Does it help? To eat when you are tired? How do you think you picked up that habit?

I turn to a nap, water, tea and/or fermented cod liver oil if I'm looking for an extra boost. Or exercise.
  • Since I dumped wheat I am much more in touch with eating when hungry, but before that I ate by the clock or whenever I had a negative feeling or a stressful moment or, yeah, if there was a trigger food in the house, or if I was hot (live in AZ) or if I felt like cooking or if I was bored, etc.
  • Why do I eat?

- To nourish my body
    - To socialize and connect with friends and family
    - FOR PLEASURE!

I love to eat. I'd rather have a really super yummy gourmet meal than have sex. And yes, I'm aware that might not be normal!
  • I Like the taste of food. I like the feeling of having full belly.
    I use to eat to soothe. Eating a certain food evokes pleasant thoughts in my brain.

Now I eat for nutrition.. Food is not as enjoyable as it once was.....having to monitor everything ...puts more thought into eating and I feel I have lost the spontaneity and true joy.

Roo2
  • I eat because I'm bored, or distracted, or lonely, or tired, or because its there. I'm actually good when I'm at work (mostly) esp. with planning because I am on the phones, I have set breaks, and I can't eat at my desk (well, usually). Its when I'm home, alone, sitting on the couch watching tv or playing on the net or pottering about with nothing but housework to do that I end up eating.

And I can't buy in small snacks to have across the week because I will just eat the whole lot without really noticing.

I really need to become more self aware.
  • Lunarsongbird it actually does help, especially sugars. The logic being very simple, because of the lack of sleep, body needs some energy...it gets quick energy from sugars. Unfortunatelly it spikes up your insulin level and you need more sugars soon...not good, eh?

Actually this has been the toughest habbit for me to breake. Even today, I got up after 4 hours of interrupted night sleep and all I wanted to have for breakfast was coffee and a huge chunk of chocolate. I ended up with a slice of whole grain bread, cheese, ham, tomatoes..and a tiny piece of high quality chocolate. Not perfect, but good enough!
  • I eat because I don't want to feel. Lately, I haven't been just eating and I have found I have this gaping, emptiness inside me. I don't like feeling that. I also have a lot of anger from my childhood and I don't know any way to soothe myself than to eat. I'm learning new things though. I also eat because I'm bored. So I've been keeping myself busy.
  • Quote: I Like the taste of food. I like the feeling of having full belly.
    I use to eat to soothe. Eating a certain food evokes pleasant thoughts in my brain.

Now I eat for nutrition.. Food is not as enjoyable as it once was.....having to monitor everything ...puts more thought into eating and I feel I have lost the spontaneity and true joy.

Roo2
    Exactly this, Roo2!! I will never ever eat the same way again in my life. It has to be thought out every single time to avoid going back to where I came from. I can't be trusted to just "eat".
  • 'Cause it's pleasurable. That about sums it up for me.

F.
  • Quote:
    I love to eat. I'd rather have a really super yummy gourmet meal than have sex.
    I prefer both. In any order! Although definitely not at the same time.
  • Quote: because the food is there. Its as simple as that. I still have the bad habit of opening the fridge when I go into the kitchen (I do it at work too) just to see what is in there... even if I am just in there to fill up my cup with water. Old habits die hard I suppose. At least I just look... most of the time.
    Me too! Sometimes I'll just pass by the kitchen on the way to the living room or something and I'll stop and look through the fridge and the pantry. It's completely automatic. Haha.

I also eat because I'm bored and because I just love the way food tastes.
  • I eat because I like food. It's delicious and delicious things make me happy. Simple as that.