Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 04-14-2013, 01:50 PM   #1  
Living Intuitively

S/C/G: Heavy/Happy/Free

Height: 5'6"

Default Your First Diet

Hello All,
I was thinking about these questions at the gym today:

When did you got on your first diet? How old were you?
Do you like dieting? Does anyone like dieting?

lunarsongbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 01:57 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 183/166/135

I remember my first "diet" was when I was 18 or 19. I had this obsession with being 110 lb (I was 120 lb) so my "diet" consisted of me trying to eat as little as possible and only drinking tea when I felt hungry. Yeah, that didn't last long lol.

My next diet was when I was 22 or 23 and Oprah came out with the whole "don't eat after 8 pm" thing. I tried it for a month and lost 10 lb! That's literally the only thing I changed. Ahhh, how I wish it were that easy now that I'm older!
BreathingSpace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 02:00 PM   #3  
Sue finding inner song

S/C/G: 313.4/298.2/160

Height: 5' 4" 3/4

Oh boy,... I started "dieting" in the 70's ( I was 15) I was so active in High School and working as a waitress after work I really did not think about eating per say... but I did not eat whole lunches... Just (don't laugh) Little Debbies Oatmeal cream cookies. 1 for lunch (never ate breakfast) and had dinner at the restaurant - Chef salad with reg dressing a couple of rolls and butter and soup. I was also swimming or doing Synchronized swimming (way before it became cool) about 3 hours a day. BUT being that young..... you have the energy.

My first adult diet (in my 20's) was the Scarsdale diet ( argh and I hate veggies... so that was a real toughie for me) I lasted until I lost enough and then went back to my bad ways then dieted with whatever (Atkins/Mayo clinic/3 day diet/ etc for 30 years. Now I am ready for forever (Atkins)

Last edited by wannaskipandlaugh; 04-14-2013 at 02:01 PM.
wannaskipandlaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 02:04 PM   #4  
L J

S/C/G: 159/138/135 (HW 200)

Height: 5'4"

I was 10. My parents put me on the original Atkins. :/

At 11, they put me of the Carbohydrate Addict's Diet - zero carbs all day then for an hour at dinner I could eat whatever I wanted.

In college, diet #3, involved Phentermine I purchased online through Canada and a 1000 calorie diet.

Back then? No way, I hated dieting. Now, I kind of love it. I did South Beach between my 2nd and 3rd babies and felt better than I ever had. I lost slowly, but I was healthy. Then, I got pregnant and put my oldest on the Feingold Program (eliminates artificial color, flavor and preservative to lessen the symptoms of ADHD/ODD). What I learned about nutrition and food quality from both SB and FG laid a great foundation. I just count calories now, because its so easy with my busy life, but I incorporate a lot of SB and all of FG into it.

I feel really good about what I'm doing for my body and my health. I have a great sense of pride for making so many healthy changes that I am certain I can maintain for life. So yes, NOW I LOVE dieting, because I love how great I feel about myself and my decisions.

I think this is going to be such an interesting thread, and I can't wait to hear others' responses!
L J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 02:12 PM   #5  
Joe

S/C/G: 405/249.5/281.5/220

Height: 6' 0"

I was just posting about this in another thread.

I've always been fat ... since I was about 8 years old. By the time I finished high school I was about 260. In my freshman year of college I went to Nutrisystem and lost 40 pounds. For a very brief time I was 220. I don't know why, but I never went on any sort of maintenance program. So, naturally, when I went back to my old way of eating, I put all the weight back on -- plus an extra 20 or so pounds.
joefla70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 02:57 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 335/see ticker/135

Height: 5'7 -171ish cm

My first diet I was probably 7 or 8. I wasn't really big. I 'weighed' more than the other girls and my mother got upset about it and put me on weight watchers. When I was 7/8 I was like 4-6 inches taller than the other girls and was growing boobs but I was still 'fat' cause I weighed 10 or 15lbs more. So my mother put me on a diet . She got the book from her friend. I did lose some buttttt I hit puberty early , grew several more inches, got DD cups and wide hips and ruined all the work my mother had done cause of that :P I was 11/12 and 150-160lbs and 5'7 when I developed an ED because I was constantly being told how much bigger than other girls I was. I lost 25lbs the first month and 20 more the next and then some more over the next couple months but then I passed out at a mall and was no longer allowed to 'diet'. Then I got really fat and didn't diet again until I was probably 21 and then just started by trying to eliminate bad foods and after a few regains found out about calorie counting and haven't regained since and been slowly going down Thats my story.
CherryQuinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 03:06 PM   #7  
Biker Chick!

S/C/G: 169/152/145

Height: 5' 5"

either 9 or 10 years old!! I wasn't even really that overweight, well I was definitely not skinny like all the other girls, just a little chubby but that's where the teasing and name calling started. The only diet food I do remember was my mom putting carrot sticks in my lunch for my dessert instead of the usual two cookies.

I like the feeling of being 'on top of things' and in-control when I'm rockin a specific diet like South Beach. I don't like feeling like I'm missing out on food, when I feel I'm really hungry and my DH is having whatever he wants, whenever he wants.
VermontMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 03:30 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 265/205/115

Height: 5'3"

My first "diet" was when I was 14. I hurt my knee so could no longer be active and predicted that I would gain weight. So, I started eating 500 calories a day and lost 35 pounds during my knee recovery time. Not a good diet.

Since then I have done vegan whole foods (lost 60 lbs) and atkins (lost 50lbs 3 times)

This time I'm doing Atkins and calorie counting and plan on finishing the last 3 phases (including maintenance) of Atkins that I didn't do before. I think that's why I gained it back, didn't follow the book's long term plan.
kayin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 03:33 PM   #9  
Florence

S/C/G: 155/152/132

Height: 5'6''

i've started when i was 16 and i don't think i have stopped being on a diet (or thinking i was supposed to be dieting) since
loser59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 03:34 PM   #10  

lunarsongbird - you're going to regret asking that question after you read my answer

I remember my first diet very well. It was January of 1970, I was 18, a freshman in college, and I had put on the freshman 15 - maybe 20. Anyway, I counted calories and I allowed myself 1000 a day. Someone had told me that I could lose weight doing this, so that's what I did.

I had a calorie-counting book (no internet, iphone apps, or anything else like that back then) and I had to guesstimate my calories on many things. I also had to eat almost all my meals in the school cafeteria, so I ate a lot of the same things over and over again. I distinctly remember cutting my ice cream bar in half each day, and my table mates marveled at this. They took turns taking the other half.

I was so obsessive about it that I mapped out how long I was going to stay on the diet and how much I was going to lose by then. I met my goal, and I even remember the day I STOPPED THE DIET. My first day off the diet was Saturday, April 11, 1970 and I even remembered what I had to eat - a muffuletta sandwich from the local Pasquale's Restaurant in Hattiesburg, MS.

Lest you think I'm crazy for remembering all this, there's a reason I do - Saturday, April 11, 1970 also happened to be the launch of Apollo 13. I planned to watch it while eating my first "non-diet" meal. And that was important to me because my high school classmate and at that time across-the-hall dorm mate was the younger sister of one of the astronauts. (Fred Haise) She and her roommate had gone to the launch.

I won't go into all the details of what happened beyond that date, particularly after everything went to h*** on Monday, the 13th, other than to say it was a very eventful time in my life where I found myself "up close and personal" to an historic event. I will say that my friend ended up having to use my phone to call home to find out what happened (long story) so I found out about the explosion far sooner than most of the rest of the world.

So to sum up, my first diet coincided with history!
SouthernMaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 04:37 PM   #11  
Empress/Queen

My first "diet" was to gain weight when I was five as I was underweight according to the doctor so my poor mom did everything in her power to get me to love eating.

Guess it worked, I love eating.

Re do I like dieting, guess so. I used to weigh more than 100 pounds than I do now & it has been a long, almost two decade journey & I have enjoyed the ride. I have never regretted it or felt sorry for myself because of the "diet" process. It has certainly given me lots of good blogging material over the years, anyway.

I also like the planning, the cooking, & math, & the successful times, & I learn from the times that are not successful.

Last edited by Amarantha2; 04-14-2013 at 04:37 PM.
Amarantha2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 04:40 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 195/145/145

Height: 5'11"

First diet was at age 16. I had already reached my full height of 5'11" and weighed 160 pounds, so I wasn't really overweight. For some reason (victim of media forces?) I wanted to get down to 130 lbs. I went on a 1,500-calorie per day diet and lost 2.5 pounds per week. When I reached 130 I decided to keep going and got to 122 lbs, which put me in the emaciated category. I remember one of my cousins asking me if I was on speed.

I spent about 2 weeks at 122 lbs, then proceeded to regain all the weight. And thus began my career as a yo-yo dieter. Predictably I regained a little more weight each time, and my all-time high weight was 210 lbs. This time, after losing 50 lbs at age 54, I've been able to maintain for a year and a half and have been exercising steadily, so I'm hoping this go-round is different.

I much prefer eating freely to dieting. Dieting is the price I pay to get or stay slim.

Freelance

Last edited by freelancemomma; 04-14-2013 at 04:45 PM.
freelancemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 04:51 PM   #13  
Joe

S/C/G: 405/249.5/281.5/220

Height: 6' 0"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernMaven View Post
lunarsongbird - you're going to regret asking that question after you read my answer

I remember my first diet very well. It was January of 1970, I was 18

So to sum up, my first diet coincided with history!
That was the month I was born.
joefla70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 05:47 PM   #14  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

I was five years old and in kindergarten. I remember my pediatritian set the weight loss goal of 8 lbs (It was 1971 or 1972, and even "crash dieting" wasn't uncommonly prescribed for children).

I remember I had a small canister on the counter with my "treats" in it. My younger brother was given the larger canister for his treats. He was allowed to eat his any time, but I could only choose one on Saturdays (It seemed so unfair to me - though my brother WAS underweight and my parents and grandparents were always pushing him to eat as much as they were pushing me not to).

My parents let me choose a reward for reaching the weight loss goal, and I wanted two small pet turtles, just like the ones in my kindergarten classroom. When I had lost four pounds, I expected my first turtle, and was angry and frustrated (and felt it so unfair) that my parents told me I had to lose it all to get any reward at all.

Sometime before losing the eight pounds, the turtles disappeared from my kindergarten class, and my parents told me I had to pick a different reward, because small turtles could no longer allowed to be sold for pets (which wasn't precisely true. Only turtles with shells smaller than 4" were/are banned, due to salmonella risk and the ban didn't take into effect until 1975 - I of course didn't know any of this back then - I just knew I wasn't getting my turtle).

I'm sure my parents offered a substitute reward (and we did get a parakeet soon after, but I don't think I ever made it to eight pounds, I only remember making it to 6).

It was around this time that I started "sneak eating" waiting until my parents were asleep (making sure not to wake my younger brother, who would tattle). Eventually I learned to pick foods that wouldn't be missed so I wouldn't get into trouble. When my parents caught onto my tricks and started monitoring the bread and other foods I'd been sneaking, I learned to make cookie dough (careful to be quite and to clean up thoroughly) with butter, sugar, and flour (to my knowledge they never caught on to that).

To this day, I wonder if my life would have been very different without the early dieting. Today pediatritians usually recommend that overweight children be allowed to "grow into" a healthy weight, focusing on weight maintenance rather than weight loss. I think that would have been more successful, because I find it more so now. I've only been able to keep off the 100 lbs I've lost by focusing on and celebrating "not gaining."
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 06:35 PM   #15  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

My mom halfheartedly tried to get me to do th body type diet with her, but I never observed it and it wasn't my choice. My dad tried to get me to take xenedrine, but I never finished the bottle (gave me heart palpitations).

The first diet I ever put myself on was this one, only a slightly different incarnation (I began with "The Don't Go Hungry Diet" by Dr. Amanda Sainsbury-Salis and modified from there, but I still observe many of her principles and recommend her work). When I was mentally ready to diet I did. My five year lifestyle reboot anniversary is coming up in October and I haven't quit once during that time. I've changed things up, taken maintenance breaks for life (pregnancy) and sanity (diet wasn't working so instead of quitting I just relaxed slightly and coasted for a bit). Buying never stopped being accountable and never quit.

So for me, the answer's easy - this is my first diet. It will also be my last. I enjoy my food and accountability and am dedicated to it for life. Little variables will change as needed to make it keep working with where I'm at, but I'm never 'off' diet - this is just the way it is for me, for life
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote