Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 04-09-2013, 08:36 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 220/213/140

Height: 5'5

Default My horrible GYM ANXIETY...

I have a gym membership which I pay for monthly and it's so horrible to even say this... but I haven't been there in OVER A YEAR!!!

The more I think about it the more embarassed and mad I become... I know it's such a waste of money... but I just can't get myself to get up and GO.

I ALWAYS have an excuse for why I cant go... I'm too tired... I'll just work out at home... I'll go tomorrow... etc etc etc!

I don't know why I can't go... I don't know if it's my horrible anxiety and fear of being judged or just pure laziness or a mixture of both... I mean I DO work out at home a few times a week doing Zumba for 30-45 minutes and then weight training with resistance bands for 10 minutes but I'd really like to either get outside and walk or go to the gym and get on an elliptical. I just feel like only working out at home isn't enough.

I think I stick to only working out at home because I know strangers can't judge me... There's all shapes and sizes at my gym... But I just feel like people are always staring/judging... It's pretty stupid I know...

I'm trying to get myself to go early in the morning around 7am... perhaps there won't be as many people there... I just don't know how else to motivate myself to get my butt to the gym.

Last edited by mellyymel; 04-09-2013 at 08:42 PM.
mellyymel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 08:39 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 195/180.2/165

Height: 5'9"

why do you think you need to go to the gym? What benefit does it hold?
seagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 08:45 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 220/213/140

Height: 5'5

Quote:
Originally Posted by seagirl View Post
why do you think you need to go to the gym? What benefit does it hold?

I don't feel like my workouts at home are enough... And I know it's good to change exercise up so your body doesn't get used to one exercise regime... The gym has weights and elliptical/treadmills which I don't do...
mellyymel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 08:52 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 195/180.2/165

Height: 5'9"

you could buy some dumbbells, you could walk outside instead of using a treadmill. Or at some point your desire to use the gym stuff will overpower your anxiety and you'll go to the gym. If you feel uncomfortable after a while, you could always switch to a different gym that gives off a different vibe.
seagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 09:05 PM   #5  
Jillian stole my abs!

S/C/G: 195.8/138/140

Height: 5'5"

I do have a gym membership, and I do go on a regular basis.

That said, yes you can workout without one.

However, I do better with gym time.

I get to distracted with other things I need to do at home.

So, gym time, is an appointment! Just like going to the doctor, or getting new plates for the car or whatever.

After 2 years at my local gym, in a small town, (only 5000 pops), no one is paying any attention to you. Folks who workout, and do it faithfully, look at it as an appointment! We, have to go do our thing and get on with our day.

I am the odd woman out, at my gym, because I strength train. I don't run endless laps or spend hours on the treadmill or elliptical, not that those are bad things. The lifting helps me with my job at the veterinarian. But I do get some strange looks from a few women, when I'm dead lifting, or barbell back squatting, or bench pressing or doing dynamic stability stuff.

However, after 2 years, the guys who lift, have gotten used to me, and they don't have a problem sharing stations and such. They are actually very nice and help me out with spotting sometimes.

As far as going at 7am. Yikes! Busy time. If you can fit it in, mid morning like, 10 or late lunch, 1 ish is way better. I do have the late lunch most day, which works well, one day every other week, I have an 11 lunch, also good.

Honestly, the best advice I can give you is, treat it like any other thing that you do that needs to be done and go do it. I'm sure you dump your trash, do your dishes, shower, scrub your john, do laundry, gym time is no different. Put it on the list and do it!
shcirerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 09:16 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 244/244/140

Height: 5'6.5"

I had gym anxiety when I first joined one a decade ago. I weighed the most I ever had in my life and was so embarrassed about being judged for being big, and was so worried about not knowing how to use certain machines, etc. I just wore super baggy work-out gear and used machines that weren't right in front of mirrors and kept my headphones on. I ignored everyone else and they ignored me. Over the years, surprisingly, I've grown to love my time in the gym. Not many things feel as good as breaking a sweat and getting those endorphins streaming! Treat yourself to a work-out at the gym (you're already paying for it!) and maybe take a first step of scheduling a one-to-one trainer session so you can get the lay of the land with a guide. Good luck!

Last edited by EliseVi; 04-09-2013 at 09:16 PM.
EliseVi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 09:40 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 240/220/130ish

Height: 5'4

If you are not going to the gym, then why are you paying for it?

You don't need to go to a gym to lose weight and if you are not ready to go right now, then stop feeling guilty about it. It's not doing you any good to constantly be telling yourself that you will go to the gym and then feel guilty or anxious or like a failure if you didn't. Putting yourself in that mindset will only make you feel worse which is exactly what you don't need.

Go to the gym and cancel your membership for now. Google exercises you can do at home, there are a lot that will really get you sweating and strong. Re asses in a couple of months or so and follow your gut. But stop beating yourself up for not going.

BTW, I go to the gym a couple of times a week. I don't think anyone will judge you.
Dichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 11:19 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 292/268/140

Height: 5'7

I know all about gym anxiety. I psyche and psyche myself days and nights before but when it's time to do it - I bail. Much of this is because of a bad experience I had when I first went to the gym many years ago. Of course I felt like I was being judged by all the people but I went anyway.
There I was on a treadmill - in between two women who were obviously friends and one of them goes - look at those arms etc etc.. then she starts to kinda feel her arms and tummy and was like... YUCK I can't imagine what that's like.. while the other woman was laughing. I felt so humiliated.
Since then I always opt for going to the gym at noon when there are no people. Less anxiety means I won't make excuses not to go.
My experience is probably not a common one.
I am certain that people really don't care and if they do and are mean about it - they can kiss my fat a**.
iamworthit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 11:59 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 203/197/145

I move around a lot form city to city and I have a bit of anxiety every time I go to a new gym or even join a new class at the same gym. Once you get there and get into your routine, you'll find that most people are so vain they are too busy watching themselves to even glance at you are anyone else. Good luck to you on whatever you decide but I think you should try the gym, you might actually like. For me it's something I have grown to love, never thought I'd feel that way, ever.
ShaMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 12:10 AM   #10  
Claiming Victory!

S/C/G: 283/273/245 1st

Um, why still pay for it if you are not using it? You should put a hold on it or cancel membership. I joined a place where there is only group fitness aerobic classes and I enjoy it! I am the biggest person there and no one judges me. Everyone is friendly and nice. No intimidating atmosphere or anything.
LuvMyMr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 01:07 AM   #11  
Updating my software ;)

S/C/G: KGs: 82 / ?? / 55

Height: 5ft

Some people are gym bunnies, others are not. A few years back, I joined my local gym in the hopes of going there to lose weight and strengthen my muscles (because I was getting injured a lot back then), but I only went 5 times. I hated it. I couldn't motivate myself to get in my car and drive there. I was afraid of people judging me and I felt lonely because no one worked out with me.

Since I've been working out at home, first on my x-trainer and now walking outside, I stick with my exercise and it doesn't bother me if people see me or I'm doing it by myself. My advice to you, from my experience, is that you should quit your gym membership a.s.a.p and continue the the exercise you are doing. Give walking a try or jogging if you are game enough. Walking and jogging outside are what works for me because I love the fresh air. I don't really do it on my own because I see the same people a lot of the time and I feel we are doing it together, in a way.

You may find there are more people at 7 a.m. because they are getting their exercise in before they go to work
Rhiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 12:38 PM   #12  
Here to Learn

S/C/G: 225/140/135

If you prefer to work out at home, then work out at home. I had a gym membership for years. Sometimes I used it, sometimes I didn't. I never saw results. I did one round of P90X at home (a 90 day workout program on DVD) and saw more results from that then ever from a gym membership. So I dumped my gym. Now I work out at home to a variety of different programs, or I walk/hike outside. I don't miss the gym at all.
EagleRiverDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 07:34 AM   #13  
On a weight loss journey

Height: 5'2"

I am not a gym girl whatsoever. I know this and accept it and am not going to try to make myself love the gym.

In my fit days I used a variety of DVD's (now there is also youtube) for my workouts and I was really athletic! Working out at home is definitely enough. Get varying weights of dumbbells, a resistance band, a ball and whatever other equipment you like to use and you are good to go. You can get a great workout without the gym and you can definitely reach your goals without the gym.
NothingButChanges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 11:14 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 195/145/145

Height: 5'11"

Hi there,

I agree with other posters that working out at home effectively solves your problem. An alternative approach (to consider if you actually WANT to go to the gym but feel blocked by your anxiety) is to develop a bit of a badass attitude about it: "I have every right to be here, I'm exactly the right kind of person to be here, and if anyone doesn't like it they can put it where the sun don't shine."

FYI, whenever I see an overweight person at the gym, whether at a class or working out solo, I simply think "good for them" and then get on with my own workout.

Freelance
freelancemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 11:58 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 165/137/120

Height: 4'11''

In my opinion, I need a gym membership. I tried the "workout at home" situation and it doesn't work well for me because I know I'm home, I have distractions, etc etc. You shouldn't feel worried about going to the gym. I used to feel the same way you do and believe it or not, nobody is really paying attention to you. You may think people are, but everybody is so focused on doing their own thing and paying attention to what they are doing that they aren't staring around the gym to look at people. Grab some headphones, blast your music and go to town on getting a great workout in. Some of my best workouts are the ones where I just put in my headphones, blast the music, and read a book/magazine and I stop and am practically dying. You can also always try fitness classes as well. I was nervous to try them at first but everybody is so focused on watching the teacher that they don't have time to look around.
celigirl88 is offline   Reply With Quote