Hashimotos Thyroid and Weight Loss?

• Hi!

Does anyone here have Hashimotos Thyroid? I'm mostly Hypothyroid but i flucuate.

Is there a certain diet that works best for someone like me?

I'm in my mid-20's and I'm 5'4" 197lbs. I gained 30lbs in the last 2 years despite my failed attempts of weight loss. I'm developing high blood pressure and I want to do something now before it gets worse. my Endocrinologist is not helpful. I'm just told to eat more salads!
  • I also have Hashi, are you taking Synthroid? Weight loss has been no problem (I'm a guy, if that matters).
  • I am taking Levothyroxine. 150mcg once daily at the moment. My endo is constantly adjusting the dose based on TSH.

I'm female and I was told I have a slow metabolic rate. I'm extremely frustrated. In 2007 I got down to 150. To my knowledge I didn't have thyroid problems at that time. I was diagnosed in 2009 and maintained my weight under 165 until I had a baby in 2011. Every since then my body refuses to let go and actually gains weight when I cut carbs and exercise. I get fluid retention really bad too.

I'm just really discouraged. I had hoped there was a special thyroid diet I vould follow to condition it and speed up my metabolism.
  • Hi! Welcome to 3FC!

I do not have Hashimoto's or Hypothyroid issues but I remember reading a few timse where a low carb, paleo, GF (gluten-free) and/or some sort of low inflammation type of diet is better.

I think this question would be better served in the "Dieting for Obstacles" forum since I've seen a few similar posts there, here is onewith a bit more feedback.

HTH!
  • Maybe look at Ridha Arem's "The Thyroid Solution Diet".