Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 04-10-2013, 02:17 AM   #1  

Unhappy Not confident, not happy, only 17):

Hey guys.
So I need your help.
I'm only 17 years old and definitely super far in life.
I go to college, have a job, pay my own bills, etc.
But I have a problem with myself.
I am disgusted by my own body..):
I know you all are going to think I'm crazy when I tell you that I am
5 foot 3 in, and weigh 130lbs. It's nothing to hate right?
But I do.
I have been working out and eating better (never drink soda, no salad dressing, no candy or junk food). But I work and go to college so I don't have much time to work out. Maybe 3-4 days a week. And I don't have enough money to join a gym. My arms and legs are nice (yay) because I do zumba and Jillian michaels videos at home. But I cannot lose my darn tummy pooch and love handles!): I want to be fit at 17 not depressed...please anything will help...
Youngwildnginger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 05:01 AM   #2  
Trying for normal

S/C/G: 253/ticker/175

Height: 5'5"

Don't hate on yourself. You are right, it is nothing to hate.

Keep doing what you're doing. Stay active. Eat sensibly. You will get a nicer, fitter, healthier body. 3-4 days a week is fine.
AlmostMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 05:02 AM   #3  
Trying for normal

Oh and don't forget to have some fun! Really!!! Go and have some fun!
AlmostMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 05:50 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 109.8/107.6/105

Height: 5'2"

Don't worry, I'm only 16 too and I feel the same. Since you can't afford the gym, is there a public pool nearby that you can use? They're generally free or low cost. And the pavement is free to run/jog/walk on 3-4 days a week is an excellent effort.
flexichick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 02:14 PM   #5  

Height: 5'6"

Have you ever tried yoga? It really helps slim down your middle section, plus it really increases your strength and stability, plus it is very calming and centering.
MonteCristo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 02:26 PM   #6  

No, I haven't ever tried yoga. I will though!(: I guess I always had a misconception about it. Thought it was more of a stretching-no results thing. Thanks!
And thank you everyone else for your input(:
Youngwildnginger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 03:26 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 310/*look*/140

Height: 5'9

Please take some time to reexamine why you might feel this way. When I was your age, I too was disgusted with my body, but my disgust did not serve me well. It served to make me too embarrassed to do the things it would have taken me to lose weight. I ate unhealthy foods in private, I avoided going to the gym, and was too worried about how I looked to enjoy life. Your body is just a vehicle, a very important vehicle, which you seem to be doing a great job taking care of! Remember it is what that vehicle is transporting that is MOST valuable, I know I didn't like to hear the whole "inner-beauty" mantra at your age, but it is true. Women (and men!) are bombarded with images telling us what we should look like to be worthwhile human beings, all in the name of the sale. Beauty is transitory, but how you think and what you do hold the very real possibility of leaving a mark on this world. Pretty much everyone feels like you do at least some of the time, so go easy on yourself. I commend you on the many healthy choices you are making, I wish I had been as smart at your age! Investing in your health is worth every effort, worrying if your thin/pretty enough doesn't do you much good.
Lecomtes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 03:41 PM   #8  
Krissy Missy

S/C/G: 181/see ticker/120

Height: 5'2"

Your post breaks my heart! There is so much negativity in it. You say that you are disgusted with your body, and indicate that you hate it and are depressed. Losing some weight may help those feelings, but I get the impression that there are some deeper issues at play. Have you thought about getting some counseling? I'm sure that your school will have some resources that are free or low cost. You might also want to check out the depression forum here.

I'm sorry if I'm off-base, but a red flag went up in my head after reading this. Good luck!
Missy Krissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 03:58 PM   #9  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonteCristo View Post
Have you ever tried yoga? It really helps slim down your middle section
False. No exercise is capable of reducing fat storage to a specific area. This is not how fat loss works.

You may have had 10 friends have this happen. Those same 10 friends would have seen this same slimming effect from playing soccer. Genetics and hormones (to a far lower degree) determine fat patterning.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 12:02 PM   #10  

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnP View Post
False. No exercise is capable of reducing fat storage to a specific area. This is not how fat loss works.

You may have had 10 friends have this happen. Those same 10 friends would have seen this same slimming effect from playing soccer. Genetics and hormones (to a far lower degree) determine fat patterning.
I'll rephrase. I've seen greater results towards slimming my midsection with yoga then I have with any other workout I've used.

Youngwildnginger - Shiva Rea's Yoga Shakti is a great home yoga dvd. This is Ashtanga yoga, which is a more dynamic yoga. Instead of just focusing on doing each pose separately, you work with your breath to move smoothly between each pose. You might find this type of yoga more to your taste, if you don't like the idea of just stretching.

Last edited by MonteCristo; 04-11-2013 at 12:06 PM.
MonteCristo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 12:55 PM   #11  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

I just recommended this book on another thread, but it applies here, too: Do I Look Fat in This? by Jessica Weiner. It tackles what you're talking about on a different level. The solution to being disgusted with your body probably doesn't lie in losing weight; it probably lies in finding a different way of thinking about your body. Part of what she argues is that it's not just you and it's not your fault. We live in a very sick culture and we all need to find healthy ways to deal with it. She's got a great way of talking about these issues that is very empowering.
gardenerjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 11:16 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 165/137/120

Height: 4'11''

Don't you have another post in this forum stating your going to prom in a month? - and you spent $600 on a dress?

ENJOY IT!!!! You're only 17! There is SO much more to life at your age than worrying about what you look like. Enjoy your youth while you have it. Try different things, go for a walk/jog/run, yoga, pilates, do sprints in your yard. There are so many things you could do! And honestly, your stats don't seem to be that bad! I bet with some walking/running, some ab exercises, etc you can lose some weight. It will be harder since your already smaller, but just watch what you eat, and just have fun.
celigirl88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 11:39 AM   #13  
Rachel

S/C/G: 295ish/278.4/145

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missy Krissy View Post
Your post breaks my heart! There is so much negativity in it. You say that you are disgusted with your body, and indicate that you hate it and are depressed. Losing some weight may help those feelings, but I get the impression that there are some deeper issues at play. Have you thought about getting some counseling? I'm sure that your school will have some resources that are free or low cost. You might also want to check out the depression forum here.

I'm sorry if I'm off-base, but a red flag went up in my head after reading this. Good luck!

^^^ I absolutely agree.
Keep Moving Forward is offline   Reply With Quote