One Last Virtual EZ-5k in Memory of Gary

You're on Page 1 of 4
Go to
  • Those of you who have been around may remember EZMoney's Unofficial Virtual 5K weekends. Members would sign up, then return to post their times, photos, and stories. For a lot of folks, an EZ-5K was the push they needed to run or walk that distance for the first time.

His first 5K Challenge was almost exactly this day back in 2008. Here is what he wrote:

Quote:
    I thought it would be a good idea to have our first annual "3FC ~ I'M NOT A WHIMP ANYMORE ~ 5K!"

For those of you that don't know ~ 5K equals 3.1 miles!

Since it is my idea, I am making the rules....First rule ~ Rules can change!

DATE OF RACE ~ APRIL 12-13 Either day you want to run/walk it is fine with me.

COST ~ A few calories!

LOCATION ~ Wherever you want!

PRIZES ~ PRIDE!

I'm not looking for miracles here, I think if we get 100 of us in it for our first one that would be cool! So are you in?

We will ALL benefit by your entry...especially YOU!!

I'd love it if anyone would like to join me in running an EZ-5K, on those same dates 5 years later, in his memory.

Post here to join in, and then with your results and any memories you'd like to share.

RIP, Gary.
  • I'm in.
    I didn't do the very first EZ-5k, my first was around Mother's Day in 2009. He assigned us numbers, and I remember making a race bib and pinning it to my shirt at my local park.

I'll make one this time as well, and will be back with pictures and my time.

This one is for you, Gary.
  • Amanda, I can't believe you found the original thread!

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weig...s-ezmoney.html

And the results thread from the first one!

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weig...sted-here.html

Oh, the memories!!!!

I'm in! Not very elite these days, but if EZ were here I would suggest a "Haul yourself 5K and then take a nap" category.
  • Over 200 people did the first one. That's over 600 collective miles.
  • Oh wow. Reading that first thread made me a little teary, Midwife.
  • I love this and will complete mine tomorrow morning via treadmill. I'm such a wuss when it comes to races, and ran my first last fall. But I'll do this!
  • I'm in. I did do these 5k for a while. I do believe that it was this first one, that I did with my DH and dogs, that my DH stopped me toward the end and remarked at how horrible my varicose vein looked and that prompted me to have it take care of. I never posted the photos then, but here's a link to it.

BTW, the church in the photos is where President Carter was for several days before his burial. Virtual 5k
  • I didn't know Gary, but I've been going back through some of his old posts. Incredible.

I would be honored to lift up Gary's family up in prayer as I walk/jog/skip/crawl 3.1 miles on Saturday. (I don't pray much, but it looks like Gary's family was pretty faith based.)
  • Count me in too!
  • We've lost a good 3fc friend, and he's still inspiring us. This should be an annual event. Unfortunately, i still don't have the stamina to walk more than a block, let alone 5k, but i'll do what i can.
  • I'm in. Those challenges made me push my walks a little further and a little faster. Thanks EZ
  • I'm in! Friday, April 12.
  • You can count me in on this too. I don't know if I will get it done Friday, Saturday or Sunday -- depends on our crazy weather here. Thanks and I agree-- this needs to be an annual event. Thanks for starting this.
  • I'm in for Saturday! I wasn't a member here until this January, so I am unaware of all of this. I'm going to go read the thread now!

Will you be assigning numbers? And will there be categories? I'd be the "with dogs" category!
  • I just so happen to already be signed up for my very FIRST 5k this Saturday (13th). I will absolutely run it in memory of Gary!

I'm IN!