Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-26-2013, 05:01 PM   #1  
Lose 1lb. Repeat 99 times

S/C/G: 262/signature/170

Height: 5'5"

Question am I doing it right?

So I have started on this weight loss journey and I want to pause and evaluate whether what I am doing is right?

My work involves sitting in front of a computer from 9am to 6pm (I am an IT professional) so that explains a lot as to why I am here

Every morning I am making my way to the local pool and I get in about 15 laps in 30 mins (pool is 70 ft long) Then I come home, shower and head to work. My office is on the 6th floor and I always parked in the basement and took the elevator to my floor. Now I have started parking on the roof, take the stairs down to the ground floor and then walk up to my 6th floor. (which is quite a task with a heavy laptop bag on your shoulder and pumps on your feet)

I get restless sitting around these days and look forward to evenings where I head to the gym. I do 15 mins of warm up on the bike, 40 mins of elliptical and I am sweating like a umm... person who just worked out a sweat!! ( I wanted to say dog, but dogs dont have sweat glands )

That's a lot of body movement if you think about it. But then again, I sit for 8-9 hours straight with an occasional walk to this floor or that floor for a meeting in some conference room.

Do you guys think if I continue this routine I will be able to reach my goal?

I know diet contributes 80% to weight loss!! I don't skip breakfast, I drink a lot of water, have salads for lunch and try to stick to my 1330 calories limit as suggested by MyFitnessPal. So yes, I am counting calories too!!

My question is - do I have to do something different?
Like lift weights to burn all the fat? My boyfriend (who doesn't have a pound of fat on him btw, is all toned and muscular and flat bellied) hasn't seen me work out but he says I need to add resistance to my workouts to get results. Is that true? Anyone know from experience?

I don't want to get a trainer cos I don't think I will learn anything new from the trainer that I can't find online (I've had a trainer before)

So any suggestions anyone ? Appreciate your inputs !!

Last edited by nitrus29; 04-09-2013 at 12:19 PM.
nitrus29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 05:06 PM   #2  
Stephanie

S/C/G: 236/135-140/More Fit

Height: 5'6"

I think what you're doing sounds great.

You don't HAVE to lift to lose weight, but it is very beneficial! I would recommend it to anyone! But I do think your current plan sounds pretty darn good. You can always adjust as you go.
LockItUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 05:34 PM   #3  
I'm bringing sexy back!

S/C/G: 242/234.5/167

I'm a firm believer that losing weight is all about diet. Exercise is great, but not vital.

Good luck!
Mozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 05:53 PM   #4  

I think you have a fabulous plan!!

The only thing I would suggest is wearing your sneakers for your stairs adventure, wearing pumps and carrying your heavy bag is a recipe for you to hurt yourself. If you twist an ankle (or worse!), you will be out of commission for a bit.

Good luck!! I hope you post often and let us know your successes!!

Edit to add----not sure if you literally meant that you sit for 8-9 hours at a time but try to get up at least every hour to walk. It's not good for our bodies to be inactive that long.

Last edited by elvislover324; 03-26-2013 at 05:54 PM.
elvislover324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 10:31 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 145 / 102 / ?

Height: 5'

Hey Nitrus--sounds like you are taking some really positive steps!!! If you want to tone a certain part of your body (like abs), then yes on the resistance training, but for overall fitness, you've got a plan!
HungryHungryHippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 12:01 AM   #6  

Height: 5'8.5"

I think your plan is super!!!
Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 12:21 AM   #7  
L J

S/C/G: 159/138/135 (HW 200)

Height: 5'4"

I think you are off to an excellent start!

I, personally, feel like weight training, even just a 10 minute resistance band routine, really helps me to feel stronger and healthy. I love the way lifting makes me feel, and I think it has really helped with the appearance of my body as I have shed the pounds (and after 3 full term babies). I'm not sure if it has sped up my rate of loss, but the other benefits I have reaped from it are worth it on their own.
L J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:26 AM   #8  
Starting Over Again

S/C/G: 195/195/150

I'm in the same position as you. I'm a computer technician. I mainly sit on my butt for at least eight hours a day. You're doing a lot more than I am with exercise, and your calorie allowance is lower than mine. I would say that you're going to lose weight just fine, as long as you stick with your plan.

Adding in some resistance and/or weight training a few times a week could help you tone your muscles and have your body looking nicer.

Someone once told me if you diet without exercise, you'll still lose weight, but you'll simply be a smaller version of your fat self.
Psychic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 08:19 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvislover324 View Post
I think you have a fabulous plan!!

The only thing I would suggest is wearing your sneakers for your stairs adventure, wearing pumps and carrying your heavy bag is a recipe for you to hurt yourself. If you twist an ankle (or worse!), you will be out of commission for a bit.
Good advice.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 10:47 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 165/137/120

Height: 4'11''

I think your plan is off to a great start. Everybody had really good advice such as not walking in your pumps. Trust me, you do not want to fall and hurt yourself. Switch to flats or sneakers while your walking, and definitely incorporate weight training. I never did but once I did I started feeling a little bit more results and felt like I got better workouts. Definitely get up and walk around at least once an hour, even if you walk to the bathroom! I think your going in the right direction.
celigirl88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 12:14 PM   #11  

thank you all for the support.. I feel really motivated to do this !! Will keep posting updates
Old 04-02-2013, 10:09 AM   #12  

Quote:
Originally Posted by JillWendler View Post
Hi Nitrus29,

I think you are doing great so far.

Just continue your existing diet plan and exercises. BTW for how many days you are doing so?

Wish you all the very best ...
thanks JillWendler To be honest, I started the morning swim from January and I wasn't able to do even half a lap without drowning cos I was so unfit.. I was a chain smoker and hadn't gotten any exercise in years.. ..the stamina built on slowly and I finally weighed myself on March 25th when I decided to do a little more than the morning swim !! So technically, the workouts started mid March, so did the stairs to my office and the calorie counting !!

So far so good.. I am gonna do this !!