Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-25-2013, 07:01 AM   #1  
Sisyphus

S/C/G: 195 / 169.0 / 110

Height: 5'1"

Default Fell off plan

I've been really good with my plan since Christmas. It hasn't really been an effort, I'm eating well and allowing myself a certain amount of treats within my plan. Progress has been steady and that's helping my motivation even more.

Yesterday, though, I had a very small emotional hiccup, so small that I didn't even realise it had happened until I tried to figure out what had put me off plan.

I didn't go nuts, just had a sandwich I didn't need in the evening and a second (large) helping of chocolate cheesecake (first slice was planned and accounted for, second one was definitely not).

What's bothering me today is wondering if I'll ever get on top of the emotional side of my overeating. I can lose these pounds over and over again, I enjoy healthy food and my everyday diet is pretty good. If I respond to every life hiccup by opening the fridge, though, then I'm going to be on this roller coaster forever.
Crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 07:08 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 233/ticker/150

Height: 5'0"

Slipping up from time to time is a given...happens to all of us! The best thing is to put it behind you, get back on plan now and move on. I find that the more I dwell on it the less likely I am to get back on track quickly.
aniela26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 09:28 AM   #3  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crow View Post
What's bothering me today is wondering if I'll ever get on top of the emotional side of my overeating. I can lose these pounds over and over again, I enjoy healthy food and my everyday diet is pretty good. If I respond to every life hiccup by opening the fridge, though, then I'm going to be on this roller coaster forever.
I think the fact that you recognize what you did is 90% of the battle. The important thing is not to feel guilty (we've all done it) and understand that one slip-up isn't going to derail you - unless you allow it to.

Your last line says it all....you know you cannot turn to food for emotional support. Work at finding other ways to deal with the inevitable times you find yourself turning to food for reasons other than hunger.

True hunger should be the ONLY reason you put food in your mouth. Nothing else.

You're doing well...just get back in the saddle!
SouthernMaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 09:43 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 260/254/160

Height: 5'8"

I'm new to this forum, but I am not new to trying to lose weight.

I think you have done great by staying close to your plan since Christmas. Yesterday's "mistake" does not even sound all that bad to me. Smile, and put in a good day today. The scale will probably not even reflect that mini-binge by the end of the week.

You are doing great.
Terese2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 10:45 AM   #5  
Stephanie

S/C/G: 236/135-140/More Fit

Height: 5'6"

It's a process!!! I don't know if it ever gets completely solved because I am definitely not there yet, but as long as you're working on it and aware of it that's a pretty big step! You are certainly aware of it! Continue to pay attention to the triggers and emotions, and it won't be long before you'll have a time you'll catch it before it happens. You'll gain more confidence and start to feel YOU have all the power (which you do). Perfection is not a realistic thing to expect from yourself, progress is, and you've made progress!
LockItUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 12:20 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 195/145/145

Height: 5'11"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernMaven View Post
True hunger should be the ONLY reason you put food in your mouth. Nothing else.
I dunno. To me this seems a little harsh. It's a bit like saying, "procreation should be the ONLY reason you have sex. Nothing else." Nature designed eating to be pleasurable (for most of us), so I think it's very normal to view food as more than fuel. I'm not suggesting that we can regularly turn to food for comfort if we want to achieve a healthy weight -- just saying that having a little food to feel better, once in a while, is neither unnatural nor undesirable.

JMHO Freelance

Last edited by freelancemomma; 03-25-2013 at 12:20 PM.
freelancemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 03:16 PM   #7  
Krissy Missy

S/C/G: 181/see ticker/120

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockItUp View Post
Perfection is not a realistic thing to expect from yourself, progress is, and you've made progress!
Wise words! You will have occasional slip ups, and it's just as important to forgive yourself as it is to get back on the horse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freelancemomma View Post
I dunno. To me this seems a little harsh. It's a bit like saying, "procreation should be the ONLY reason you have sex. Nothing else." Nature designed eating to be pleasurable (for most of us), so I think it's very normal to view food as more than fuel. I'm not suggesting that we can regularly turn to food for comfort if we want to achieve a healthy weight -- just saying that having a little food to feel better, once in a while, is neither unnatural nor undesirable.
I agree with this big time. I'm tired of people saying that food = fuel and nothing more... If that were true then we might as well just engineer some sort of cardboard tasting energy bars with all the necessary nutrients to sustain our bodies and consume nothing else. Eating is a sensory, pleasurable, social, cultural, and nutritive experience. It is ok to enjoy it, it's only when it gets out of control/balance that those negative emotions should surface.
Missy Krissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 04:29 PM   #8  

freelancemomma and Missy Krissy - believe it or not, I agree with both of you!

I now enjoy every single morsel of food that crosses my lips! That's because I now eat whatever I want, and I savor each and every bite.

But I only do it when I'm hungry (except for the occasional slip-up).

Because I know that I'm eating it for the right reason - to fuel my body. So the guilt is gone, regardless of what I'm eating.

And I eat a lot less than I used to.
SouthernMaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 04:54 PM   #9  
banned

Height: 5'3

No big deal! In fact, you should have a cheat meal once in a while, just to stay sane. I'm having one tonight: cheese pizza & spicy buffalo Wheat Thins!
Silver Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 04:57 PM   #10  
Sisyphus

S/C/G: 195 / 169.0 / 110

Height: 5'1"

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the support.

I'm back in the saddle and trying to learn from yesterday.
Crow is offline   Reply With Quote