Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-22-2013, 09:34 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 205/175/105

Height: 5 foot 1 inch

Default can not drinking make it harder to lose weight?

i've never drunk much water, i've actually gone literally 3 days in a row without drinking a single drop of liquid, getting my only fluids through the food i eat. i try to remember to drink AT LEAST 2 cups daily (the size of my water bottle) but it's currently about 9 pm (so i've been up 12 hours) and i've only had 1 cup of water. i simply don't feel thirsty, just as i simply don't feel hungry. i've been eating anyway so i can lose weight, and sometimes i do enjoy what i eat, but drinking water is harder. it makes me feel overly-full, bloated, weighted down. if i'm thirsty, two or three small mouthfuls of water goes down and i feel better. i rarely feel dehdyrated, and even though i smoke cigarettes and weed constantly i rarely get drymouth/cottonmouth. however, i've hit a plateau where i haven't actually lost any weight in about 3 weeks, even though i'm sticking to around 1500 calories and doing cardio. so i was wondering if my under-consumption of water might be a factor.
Alyssa Autopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 11:22 PM   #2  
I got this

S/C/G: 206/162/135

Height: a little over 5'2

It is possible, it doesn't make you lose weight (fat) but supposedly it helps with salty/sodium-laden food and flush out some water weight. You could be retaining water hence the no loss for 3 weeks? Has your weight moved at all since you last posted?

Try working your way up slowly. I drink at least 3-4 bottles' worth of water daily. Do you drink anything else or just water? because they can be counted towards your "water"/liquids intake- be it soda, tea and juice, coffee (even with caffeine in them.) If you drink a lot of caffeinated beverages, you just need to drink a bit extra of water since caffeine is a diuretic and can be dehydrating. Same goes for alcohol.

I say for now, keep going for one more week and if nothing changes, then change it up be it food intake, water and/or exercise. Good luck!

Last edited by amandie; 03-27-2013 at 11:23 PM.
amandie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 11:38 PM   #3  

It can make your thyroid slow down due to dehydration, which does make weightloss hard or just flately stop. The body needs daily fluids to function properly. You don't have to feel dehydrated to be dehydrated. If you do a bit a googling there is info on the net about this topic.

Have you tried drinking water with a straw? Sounds funny but I find it's easier to drink this way and I have no problems getting in 8 - 10 cups a day like this.
SnowPetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 11:41 PM   #4  
Ready to fly!

S/C/G: 266/259/160

Height: 5'6

Your body desperately needs water! Dont deny it this basic necessity!
butterflywings77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 11:50 PM   #5  
I got this

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowPetal View Post
Have you tried drinking water with a straw? Sounds funny but I find it's easier to drink this way and I have no problems getting in 8 - 10 cups a day like this.
This is a great tip! That's actually how I started drinking more water and tea in the beginning of my journey 2 years ago. I found these reusable straws (the non-bendy kind) at the dollar store. I just don't recommend using them for smoothies- they are hard to clean out if you don't have pipe-cleaners (which you can also find at the dollar store in the arts/crafts section.)
Old 03-28-2013, 12:01 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 212/200/125

Drink water! Even if not for fitness for your overall health! My grandma was a lot like you, she would go days at a time without drinking any liquids. She was perfectly healthy until two years ago, and 100% of her health problems: Near constant UTI's, dementia, metabolic disorders (she can no longer process food, her body gets no nutrient out of it) is directly related to her lifelong decision not to drink water (not conjecture, got that from a doctor).
Her health problems are really scary and bad, you don't want them, trust me.
kellzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 12:15 AM   #7  
I got this

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jez View Post
I'm more amazed that you smoke that much weed and can still keep your calories reasonable.
!!!!
Old 03-28-2013, 07:48 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

I personally think we worry too much about water consumption these days -- as you said, you can get a lot of hydration from food and other liquids we drink.

Weight plateaus are common and can happen for all kinds of reasons. It's certainly not a bad idea to drink more water, but it may or may not be the reason. Shaking up your routine a bit and giving it some more time may help too.
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 08:53 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 205/175/105

Height: 5 foot 1 inch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jez View Post
I'm more amazed that you smoke that much weed and can still keep your calories reasonable.
lol thats because i know how to do things in moderation most of the time, and the times when i go over on my limits it's usually from snacking on too many nuts (i loooove nuts, especially cashews, but they are high calorie... 140 calories for 1 oz... my greasy chinese food is only 100 per ounce!) but i'm able to just eat 1 piece of pizza and a small handful of cheese fries as a meal, instead of eating half the pie in one sitting (and in fact i've eaten an entire large pizza to my face before).

usually, when i smoke, i crave sweets, so i have an apple with my 0-calorie caramel sauce.

Last edited by Alyssa Autopsy; 03-28-2013 at 08:54 AM. Reason: spelling errors
Alyssa Autopsy is offline   Reply With Quote