Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 08-31-2014, 04:36 PM   #31  

S/C/G: 337.7/336.8/269

Height: 5'6

I usually try to avoid weighing in on topics like this (meaning potentially triggering for someone who is torn about whether to lose weight or not) but giving my usual advice: It is better to lose the weight if you are considered unhealthily overweight. Not talking 20 or so vanity pounds but where your weight either is, or may affect your health (like PCOS, diabetes, heart problems, etc.) regardless of the aesthetic risks. Also most guys tend to pursue women based on our bodies over our faces, I have a sexist theory that women notice a "pretty face" more than men do, men are more about the shoulders and below lol.

As far as "vanity" pounds (the "I just want to look good naked, in a bathing suit, be my weight back in college, etc.) everyone is different but I've noticed a lot of people who only need to lose about 15-20 lbs. and do it when they are over 40, will sometimes look older than they did before. Everyone is different of course, and as berryblondeboys mentioned it can actually make you look younger to lose the weight. I am in my early 30's (will be 32 in October/2014) and up until 2011 I was getting mistaken for being high school/college age *Whoa* lol, and while I miss it a little bit, age has it's rewards.

I am prepared that I may look more of my age once I hit my goal weight, and I am a big fan of Philosophy Hope in a Jar face cream, at home peels, etc. so I will do my best to weather the storm. Also I am not opposed to getting freshened up w/a chemical peel at a doctor's office once I reach my goal weight lol , we'll see.

Last edited by Candidcamster; 08-31-2014 at 04:38 PM.
Candidcamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 06:03 PM   #32  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

I've only lost 18lbs in the last 6 monhts. That turns out to be about half a pound per week, but there have been alot of pauses (aka plateaus), and I think that will ultimately help me maintain how I look now. Often times when people do lose a lot of weight quickly they look gaunt compared to how they looked before. I think this has more to do with how fast the weightloss was as well as age and how much yoyoing was involved.

We have to be honest with ourselves. 100 extra pounds leaves its mark in some ways. I don't expect I'm going to look like the Cindy Crawford version I have in my imagination.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candidcamster View Post
Also most guys tend to pursue women based on our bodies over our faces, I have a sexist theory that women notice a "pretty face" more than men do, men are more about the shoulders and below lol.
I've experienced the opposite as well. Men DO want a pretty face, at least the men I have known do. But maybe that's just because I have a pretty face and they were willing to take all the rest of it too lol. But it's a toss up, it's not always that men want a hot bod.
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 06:41 PM   #33  
Hi, I'm Lauren! :)

S/C/G: SW:209 / CW:184/ GW:~160

Height: 5'4

Coming from someone who lost 100+ lbs in her early 20s (and now trying to re-lose about 20-30), I was disappointed in the way my body looked after. I carried around that extra 100+ lbs my whole life; that major weight loss was the first successful attempt I made where I lost more than 20lbs without gaining it all back. That resulted in loose skin around my stomach and on my arms that I honestly don't think is going to go anywhere sans surgery, which honestly, still disappoints me. All I ever wanted was for my body to look like the average joe's body -- not model skinny, just with a normal flat stomach and arms that don't have wings hanging off of them. But we can't have everything we want, so I've kinda learned to live with it.

Other people see past it though and everyone I've come across says I look amazing, even today after a little regain. I take that with stride and now the battle is simply winning my own approval rather than everyone else's. I probably won't ever look perfect, but when I see that I can do things like walk up a flight of stairs without losing my breath, that holds a lot more weight (pun not intended) than some loose skin.

From what I see in your pics though, you look very nice. I wouldn't peg you at 50-anything.
mimsyborogoves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 08:39 AM   #34  

S/C/G: 272/See Ticker/140

Height: 5'4"

I actually have had compliments on looking younger since losing weight. Less matronly I spose I am 55 and have been at this for about a year. I go from noticing lines and wrinkles to having them become less noticible over time. My stomach is another story though, it is wibbly wobbly and will likely stay that way unless I win the lottery and can afford surgery.
lotsakids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 03:45 PM   #35  

S/C/G: 101/ - /58.8 kgs

Height: 1, 58 m

I've always looked my age, so i may look older. I feel bad when i think of what my belly will look like with loose skin and my stretch marks. My arms will probably look strange too. So will my inner thighs and my but. But i will feel better (health), and this is my main goal. The last time i've lost weight my face had a few lines that weren't there when i was fat but I looked prettier and felt more confident. I'm trying to prepare myself for those changes now so i can accept them better.
Marina Brasil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 09:01 PM   #36  
I AM healthy!

S/C/G: 270/196.2/135

Height: 5'4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReillyJ View Post
Thanks!

i did count calories in the beginning but have long since stopped doing that, i portion control and do not over eat except on Fridays which is an all out free day. I usually eat roughly the same menu day in day out but like i said Fridays i really mix it up, been maintaining for almost 2 yrs i think.

No, stomach area didn't shrink up unfortunately. And i'm really not satisfied with any of the body shapers i've bought. If it was the lower stomach it'd be ok but it's around my navel. I'm also 52 so that greatly reduces any chance of shrinkage.

I guess i'm lucky in that it's not a huge deal but it does take away a tiny bit of satisfaction in all my hard work!
Thank you for you the info. You are doing great! For the belly area, see if kefir will help.

Not with lose skin, but it may help with some fat.

I have noticed using it off and on for years, when I use it, I don't think I notice a difference, but after a few days of not using it, my belly seems extra poochy. So I know it does something.

The probiotics are also good for your insides.
Jasmine31 is offline   Reply With Quote