Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 02-25-2013, 07:13 PM   #1  
Hi, I'm Lauren! :)

S/C/G: SW:209 / CW:184/ GW:~160

Height: 5'4

Default I just had TWO BEERS!

Now I know I just made that post the other day about how I need to just live and I've been doing that, but geeze! I had 1 LIGHT beer to myself Friday and split a full beer with my friend, and went over my calories a little bit Saturday, and you'd think I ate out my entire kitchen. I was up 5lbs yesterday!

Does y'alls weight shoot up that much when you have alcohol? I mean I know it dehydrates you and stuff but it's not like I'm going crazy with it... but this happened the last time I had alcohol and it just seems kinda ridiculous. I could understand if I was throwing down and getting drunk but I'm not, lol. One or two beers shouldn't affect me that much -- should it?
mimsyborogoves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 07:43 PM   #2  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimsyborogoves View Post
One or two beers shouldn't affect me that much -- should it?
For reasons I don't completely understand - yes. I'm a big person and after some beers I've seen the scale move 10lbs up.

This is one reason I don't own a scale.

Conversely - sometimes a couple shots of hard liquor can have the opposite effect and whoosh out some water weight.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 08:13 PM   #3  
Shrinking Chick

S/C/G: 288/ticker/160

Height: 5'8"

Yep, I retain way more water drinking beer versus liquor. It has turned me into a serious beer snob - if it ain't worth a blip up on the scale, I'm having a whiskey.
Riddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 09:24 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 152/cw 147/gw 135/ugw 130

Height: 5'7''

I retain more too after having any alcoholic beverage other than wine! I had a few cocktails this weekend on my mini vacay and the scale shot WAY up!
bubblybarrister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 09:33 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 211/178/150 LW:161

Height: 5'6

I just finished a Beer Summit, 28 beers in the the 28 days of February and I'm up 10lbs. That being said, I could happily go the rest of my life without beer. I've noticed after just 2 beers a 3lb weight gain the next day, I tend to really retain when I drink booze so I normally avoid alcoholic beverages altogether. That being said, no more beer and back on track tomorrow!!! Just try to drink a lot of water and hopefully the 5lbs will flush itself out!
vixxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 07:22 AM   #6  
Heading Downtown...

S/C/G: 225/165/165

Height: 5'8"

I've always heard things like this and then I'll hear things like beer is just "liquid bread" so it makes me wonder... fortunately for me beer has never really been my thing... but now a glass of wine with dinner... that is something that I do still miss sometimes...
TripSwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 07:26 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

The scale goes up and down for so many reasons completely unrelated to fat loss that I don't think it's worth worrying about unless it stays up...
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 10:12 AM   #8  
the muse of memory

Quote:
The scale goes up and down for so many reasons completely unrelated to fat loss that I don't think it's worth worrying about unless it stays up...
This!

Also:

Quote:
It has turned me into a serious beer snob - if it ain't worth a blip up on the scale, I'm having a whiskey.
This. Though I'm not a whiskey fan and will skip to something else. Instead of a light beer I'd try something different and enjoy it and not worry too much. 2 beers is at most 400 calories, unless you are drinking a really high-alcohol brew. That wouldn't put 1/4 pounds on you. And 'water' weight will flush away.

So, in sum. As Hunter S. Thompson said, "Good people drink good beer." Enjoy it and maybe stay away from the scale a few days after!
mnemosyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 12:27 PM   #9  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

Beer sucks, but I say this as someone highly sensitive to brewer's yeast. Some beers are tolerable (microbrews, Sam Adam's Winter Ale, etc), but none of them are light. Water retention with beer is quite normal, and I concur that liquor can be more friendly regarding that than beer.

Honestly as long as it isn't a regular thing it should have no impact on your real fat loss long term, unless like me your body freaks out over the ingredients.
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 01:11 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 224/ticker/140

Height: 5' 4"

The same thing happens to me. I don't weigh myself at least three days after I have a beer because my weight is all over the place, mostly up. In fact, I've noticed a trend: First day post-beer I'm lower than I should be, second day I'm way higher, and third day is about normal. The most-accurate weigh-in is the fourth day.

So if you had two beers and were on plan the rest of the time, your weight "gain" is most likely temporary. Beer is indeed empty calories so I've tried to cut down on it significantly, but some days I just want a couple and I go for it without regret. And then I stay away from the scale.
augeremt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 03:55 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 204/166/145

Height: 5'4"

I love beer, but I try to only drink it if its an exceptionally good beer (not wasting calories for a Bud Light, but a new IPA? I'm in!). I have been drinking more liquor because it doesn't affect the scale as much for me.
Jennifer1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 04:24 PM   #12  
Thin Girl in Training

S/C/G: 285.5/269.4/180

Height: 5'5"

I don't drink beer, but my college room-mate used to complain about having "beer tummy" for a couple of days after a night of beer drinking. It got to the point where she had a few "club" shirts that were more flowy in the tummy region that she'd wear if she was going to drink beer that night.
chubbybunny29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 04:29 PM   #13  
Stephanie

S/C/G: 236/135-140/More Fit

Height: 5'6"

Unless I have an eat-fest with my alcohol, the scale usually stays the same or goes down. But of course different people have different reactions. Beer tends to give me a very upset tummy the next day, which helps scale-wise. I really don't bother with light beer anymore, I really like Bud Platinum when I do have beer. My drink of choice is whiskey and diet cola. As long as I don't drink when I'm starving I can usually avoid the alcohol induced munchies. I used to drink wine more often, but the last couple times, even with just a couple glasses, it gave me a HUGE headache. And there ya go, much more info than you ever needed.

Should or shouldn't doesn't matter. It did, and you know it's not fat so no biggie.
LockItUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 04:54 PM   #14  
Restart 11/2012 at 153lbs

S/C/G: Hw194/Sw160/Cw120/gw125

Height: 5'2" on the dot!

A night out drinking any type of alcohol amounts to at least the first three days of the week trying to get back to that days weight. I try to limit myself to one time a month of alcohol drinking because of that. I usually drink mixed drinks and maybe a beer or two and my weight will go up between 2-3 lbs. I am not really a big drinker anyway, I drank plenty in my twenties, but I will enjoy a drunk night from time to time.
chubbiegurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 06:15 PM   #15  

I know that alcohol intake increases cortisol levels so maybe that has something to do with the weight gain.
Kisigin is offline   Reply With Quote