Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 02-02-2013, 10:13 AM   #1  
Pink Leopard Power

S/C/G: 351.2/ticker/185

Height: 6'0

Default Does anyone else just want to throw out their whole closet?

Let's talk about clothes..... I have to say, since getting "up there" in weight, my clothing options have dwindled. I am about a year out of college, and that meant I had to say goodbye to my danskin pants and oversized tops that accommodated me so well. As I've started to lose, I now have about 2 pairs of real pants that I can wear out (size 26). I have a small selection of tops I enjoy wearing that hide my biggest problem area (my lower belly buldge, which I'm the most self conscious about, seriously, I feel like I need a stomach bra down there). I usually wear a light jacket over that to disguise back fat/arm fat. It's so boring and down right tiring.

The best day of MY LIFE is going to be when I get to THROW OUT all these "safety clothes" I've been hoarding to rags and go on a serious department store shopping spree. I'm saving up the moolah as we speak. I'm going to get a whole new wardrobe and I even have a trunk full of stuff from high school that will be free and wonderful to get back into.

I just hate that feeling of being tired and bored with all your worn out clothes, not wanting to spend money on more fat clothes because you keep thinking you can just get by for a few more weeks-months, and not feeling like you can go anywhere nice in what you have. It's my motivation for my next mini goal. I'm also just ready to throw anything on and look cute. On the elliptical today all I was thinking was me wearing a cute blouse and jeans .
JollyGreenSteen19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 10:19 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 335/see ticker/135

Height: 5'7 -171ish cm

XD As you go down you will have to throw them out cause they will just clog your dressers and closet with clothes you can't wear. I have tops that fall off me now. tops. Thats how big they are. They are going in a bag to be given to goodwill. As you go down you will also definetly need to get new clothes. I tried the whole wait it out for months cause its a waste of money but then youll get these periods of weight loss were you drop sizes RAPIDLY. Like youll have periods where you lose 30lbs and maybe one size, you can handle wearing one size bigger. Then youll have periods where you drop 30 lbs and 5 sizes like I just did lol...Its like one day youre a size 14 and boom size 9. What the **** right? Saving up money for a final wardrobes a good idea but your size 26s won't last til like size 8 or whatever youre aiming for. I was a size 24/26 when I started and those clothes last me til about size 20 (plus sizes last longer in how long you can wear them bigger than your real size, I find than normal sizes).
CherryQuinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 10:19 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 396/351/160

Height: 5'7"

Having a great motivator is half the battle. Great idea to start saving now for the shopping spree! I'm looking forward to doing this as well. Heck, I'm looking forward to being able to find something even in Lane Bryant. Right now Catherine's is the only store that maybe, might, possibly have something that sort of fits!
betsy2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 10:31 AM   #4  
Cindy

S/C/G: 219/see ticker/136

Height: 5'6"

I totally understand. I lost about 50 pounds 5 years ago but didn't finish my weight loss journey because I got pregnant. And promptly gained it all back.

So while I do have some clothes that will work 50 pounds from now, I have been in a holding pattern about buying clothes for over 5 years. Five years! So you can imagine what most of my clothes look like now. I cannot WAIT to wear new clothes!
forkeeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 10:37 AM   #5  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

Keep one shirt and one pair of pants that are non-stretchy from your top weight to compare as you get smaller and smaller, but otherwise, ditch it ALL. Donate what you can (and get a tax receipt) and get new that fit you (don't buy clothes too small) and, it goes without saying, don't buy too much in smaller sizes as you hope to get too small for those soon enough too.

I started at a 20. I'm not at a 10. At my thinnest, I was getting into 6s and 8s depending on the designer. I had to get some clothes at each size on the way down.

When I was getting closer to goal, I got a few more things, but I also didn't ditch ALL the 12s as I knew there would be times I might gain a little. If those 12s were getting too tight? Time to drop those pounds!

I'm really motivated to get down to my last summer's weight as all my summer clothes are 10s and 8s. Right now they would feel too snug! So... yep, it's motivating me a bit to keep plugging away.
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 11:06 AM   #6  
I Believe in me

S/C/G: 250/199/175

Height: 5'5

Thumbs up my clothes are tight!

It`s time for me to get serious about weight loss again. It took me 3 years to reach my goal weight of 155, losing 93.75 lbs just over 9 year.
Unfortunately I didn`t stick to my plan and 45 lb have come back. I turned to thrift stores like value village to shop when I was in between sizes and gave away or donated my size 18-24 clothes. I may never be a size 6-I just want to be at a 170-75 without medication. Thanks for your support.
mrsj2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 11:13 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 145/160/120

Height: 5'6

I would personally splurge and buy one or two staple pieces for yourself now. You should be able to wear clothes which make you feel good now as well!
serendipity907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 11:29 AM   #8  
Dukanista

S/C/G: high263/current257/ticker/198

I finally had to get some new things last time after I lost around 50 lbs And of course, they don't fit now, but the timing should be good that I will be able to get through this summer without having to buy anything. After that, I will need to finally sort through all the stuff I have that is packed away. Chances are I will not longer want to wear most of it, because it's going to be old and out of date. But I don't really want to assess things until they fit me, and then I can see what it actually looks like on. And if I do find I'm moving down sizes relatively quickly, I will probably choose to suck it up and just wear some of what I have rather than buy new, if I think it's only going to be for a fairly short time.

Right now, I have an absolutely ridiculous amount of clothes, most in sizes that don't currently fit. I am actually looking forward to creating a much smaller wardrobe but all things that fit and look good. I don't mean I'm only going to have 5 shirts or something, but small enough that everything can be easily organized and put away but I can readily see what I have and choose what I *want* to wear and not just what is clean and fits on my body.
April Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 01:10 PM   #9  
I'm bringing sexy back!

S/C/G: 242/234.5/167

Height: 5'5"

I'm kinda the opposite. I'm a SAHM so my daily wardrobe is yoga pants and a tshirt. I got rid of everything in my closet when I hit 30lbs lost (just recently). Everything is gone except my jeans that now fit and a few yoga pants that will fit for several more sizes. I'm taking the minimalist approach until I am forced to go clothes shopping lol
Mozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 01:34 PM   #10  
Pink Leopard Power

S/C/G: 351.2/ticker/185

Height: 6'0

I'm definitely saving one interesting piece that was a staple for me at my highest. Lol. Like the ugliest worst fitting pants of all time. I saved the pair in brown. The black ones I tossed and never looked back. I don't even know why or how I wore it. There's even a bleach stain on them from the lab at work, where I spilled bleach, and used a sharpie to color it in black again. HA.

I find in my closet about 80% of the stuff in there I could pack away and not miss - either due to it not being fashionable or it's too small. I already have several boxes in storage and at my parents house. I'd be interested in seeing how it works if I slimmed down, things look so different on different bodies even if now I find it out of style. To be honest there's several things I still wear that are way too small, especially some t-shirts and jackets, you just kind of get by.

I sort of splurged on the current pants and a few tops I have now. I got the pants from LB and the tops are Merona brand 2x from Target. I still don't think they look great . But I think it'll get me by.

I dread going through phases, buying different clothes, because of how my body changes. I really want to buy those fancy goal weight clothes, btu I realize there's a huge gap from 220's to 180's. My old professor lost a ton of weight and said she filled the gaps by hunting thrift stores. You can find reasonable items that are fairly fashionable if you take some time. And pants and shirts cost $3-6/piece.
JollyGreenSteen19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 01:43 PM   #11  
Restart 11/2012 at 153lbs

S/C/G: Hw194/Sw160/Cw120/gw125

Height: 5'2" on the dot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mozzy View Post
I'm kinda the opposite. I'm a SAHM so my daily wardrobe is yoga pants and a tshirt. I got rid of everything in my closet when I hit 30lbs lost (just recently). Everything is gone except my jeans that now fit and a few yoga pants that will fit for several more sizes. I'm taking the minimalist approach until I am forced to go clothes shopping lol
SAHM too and my wardrobe consists of sweats and tank tops. Sometimes I wonder if that bothers the hubby, but I don't think so and besides I don't think the stove, dishes and vacuum much care what I wear. I do still have clothes from weighing about 170 but I plan on keeping that stuff, money is always tight and you never know. I don't have hoards of stuff just a pair or two of pants in each size. I guess I like keeping stuff too for sentimental value. I have what I wore on my 18th bday, my 21st the first time I took pics with my 15 year old etc. I have been buying inexpensive stuff little by little. When I was bigger my closet was so scant now it's looking more full, thank god for walk in closets.
chubbiegurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 02:14 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 280/255/Healthy, Happy, Strong

My clothes wardrobe drives me nuts too!

I have clothes from a size 12 to a size 24. Because I work in business and live in a climate with seasons this includes business wear, work out clothes, summer clothes, winter clothes, casual wear, evening wear, etc..

I don't want to get rid of my "skinny" clothes because that is the size that I want to be again. When I lose weight I don't want to get rid of my larger clothes "just in case". I know that some people think it is good to get rid of all your larger clothes, but I've gained weight back too many times to not keep some or most of them. While I like shopping for clothes when I've lost weight, I despise having to do so when I've gained weight. (For every 10 pairs of pants or jeans I try on when I'm heavier I'm lucky if one fits.)

It really doesn't help that we don't have a lot of storage in this apartment because I don't even have a lot of places to store clothes away. I've got clothes 18 to 24 in my closet and 12-16 boxed away. I need to clean out my closet, but I don't want to spend the time especially since I'm losing again and I'm hoping some of the smaller clothes fit soon. When I am losing weight I hate it when I forget which clothes fit me at which size. I'm often pleasantly surprised when I find clothes I've got tucked away. Because women's clothing sizes have changed in America over the years and they were never consistent in the first place, I can't trust the size label to determine if it is something I can get into.

If I keep the weight off for a while I might just box away the larger clothes and put them in an actual storage space. That way it won't be convenient to slip into larger clothes if the weight starts creeping on, but I will have them if I god forbid I need them.

Last edited by Renwomin; 02-02-2013 at 02:14 PM.
Renwomin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 02:18 PM   #13  

Height: 5'2"

I have been working on this! I am still in a large size, but I've been getting rid of things that are ugly, stained or torn that I only kept because I didn't want to have to go clothes shopping. Clothes shopping has actually been a great motivator, because I hate to shop in the plus-size stores and when I have to walk through the misses and juniors sizes to get to the tent department I get to see all the things I'm missing out on. As soon as something is too big, my boyfriend informs me that it's time to donate it and buy something that fits. I can't keep clothes around that are too big, even as a reminder, because I will grow back into them. I have to wake up in the morning and realize everything's getting snug so that I'll get back on track before I actually go up a size.
HelloNurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 02:42 PM   #14  
Heidi

S/C/G: 204.5/149/153

I've been "fortunate" to have a huge stack of pants that were too small for me, in quite a varied size range. As soon as I shrank down into a smaller pair of pants, I would take my largest pants (even if they still sort of fit) and put them in the Goodwill pile. There's no going back this time.

I'm really excited. The huge stack of pants that were too small for me is down to just 3 pairs of pants. I can't wait to have it down to 0 pairs!
newleaf123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 03:56 PM   #15  
Dukanista

S/C/G: high263/current257/ticker/198

This time I am going to get rid of my fat clothes. I got rid of some stuff before, but not enough, and I able able to delude myself that I was still fitting into my clothes as I re-gained weight.

I'm already at a disadvantage in a sense because I am a goblet shape - meaning I carry most of my weight from the waist up. I've got fairly slim legs including thighs, and no butt to speak of. So to have pants that don't look like clown pants, I have to wear yoga pants and similar - anything fitted that fits in the waist is ridiculously huge everywhere else. So my XL yoga pants end up bridging a wide range of weights/sizes that might otherwise be more apparent in more fitted clothes.

This time, I am going to rely going by shirts and tops, and get rid of them as I go, knowing that if the ones I am wearing every start to get snug, that has to be a siren screaming, flashing red light that I HAVE to turn things back around. I just cannot allow myself that safety net of clothes the next size up.
April Snow is offline   Reply With Quote