Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 02-19-2013, 01:25 PM   #16  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillbean View Post
Thanks, ladies!
I think I will shoot for 175 and go from there.
Out of curiosity I input my hubby's info and it puts his BMI at 23.1....I LOL'ed! He is a stick! Then I put in my 17 year old son's....who is 6'2" and weighs 203, you couldn't pink an inch if you wanted, and it says that he is overweight! What? Maybe I should have done that to begin with and I wouldn't have been so worried about it!
I would love to tell his football coach that it showed overweight!

Yep... BMI, you know is for populations - not individuals, so there will be people outside the normal ranges - just like with every measure - intelligence, height, weight, etc.

My 16 year old son is 6'2" and weighs 135. Yes he is skinny, but he's good for him. He is built a like my husband and just is lean.

My 7 year old son is at the 99th percentile for height and WAY over the 99th percentile for weight. he looks like a mini linebacker. While he isn't thin, he isn't heavy at ALL. he is just a big kid and the doctors have said since he was an infant that the BMI charts will not be useful for him probbably ever. They just want him to hold steady (or go slightly lower) and not see an increase of height/weight from where he has been since birth.
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:52 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 277.8/250.8/175

Height: 5' 6.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by berryblondeboys View Post

My 7 year old son is at the 99th percentile for height and WAY over the 99th percentile for weight. he looks like a mini linebacker. While he isn't thin, he isn't heavy at ALL. he is just a big kid and the doctors have said since he was an infant that the BMI charts will not be useful for him probbably ever. They just want him to hold steady (or go slightly lower) and not see an increase of height/weight from where he has been since birth.
Yep, Caleb's Dr. threw his growth chart away when he was 2. He was over 100% on his growth charts and had been for well over a year. This coming off of of a 5 1/2 week early delivery and a birth weight of 6 lbs. 15 oz., despite that fact.
jillbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 11:02 PM   #18  
Melissa

Quote:
Yep, Caleb's Dr. threw his growth chart away when he was 2. He was over 100% on his growth charts and had been for well over a year. This coming off of of a 5 1/2 week early delivery and a birth weight of 6 lbs. 15 oz., despite that fact.
Yep, my "little" guy was 22" and 11 lbs 14 ozs and 11 days early, so yep... I hear ya. He's been the same ever since.

So... he got that size from somewhere, right? it wasn't from my husband (or his side of the family). It was FROM ME! And your son was probably from you (Unless your husband is built big too).
Old 02-20-2013, 07:21 AM   #19  

S/C/G: 163/128/125

Height: 5'5

I just started putting my 14 week old into size 12 month clothing, it's really ridiculous sometimes isn't it? Who writes these charts???? He's never had anything but boobie milk.

So they seem to remain steady through life then? Because my 1st is almost 3 and outgrowing age 5 clothing.
sacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:24 AM   #20  
Heidi

S/C/G: 204.5/149/153

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacha View Post
I just started putting my 14 week old into size 12 month clothing, it's really ridiculous sometimes isn't it? Who writes these charts???? He's never had anything but boobie milk.

So they seem to remain steady through life then? Because my 1st is almost 3 and outgrowing age 5 clothing.
They generally do stay at the same place on the growth chart throughout their childhood. So the challenge for you, which maybe you are already feeling, is that people will think your 3-year-old is older than he or she really is because of size, and then expect a different level of behavior or development. That's what I always ran into with my son, who is off the charts in height. At 6' in 8th grade, he's a boy in a man's (adult L!) body...
newleaf123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:28 AM   #21  
Melissa

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacha View Post

I think after the first year you can get a pretty good idea what their growth curve will be like - until puberty - then all bets are off as no one knows who will spurt first and grow early or late.

My 16 year old was following the same line for height and weight (for years and years), then he skinnied up quite a bit as he entered puberty - he was always thin, he just got thinner. He's 6'2" (and I think done growing or close to it). He wears a size 14 shoe!

His younger brother (7) has always been bigger than him (after the first few months - they were both 22" long at birth). And pretty consistently the younger guy is about 3/4 to an inch taller for each age and proportionally heavier too and built MUCH stockier. If he follows the same pattern, we figure he'll be about 6'3", but who knows. My husband followed my younger son's growth height and he stopped at just under 6'1", so, my older son who is more than an inch taller than his dad was always shorter than his dad at the same age... puberty hit my husband early, hit my son at the normal time - that's the difference.
Old 02-20-2013, 08:30 AM   #22  
Melissa

Quote:
Originally Posted by newleaf123 View Post
They generally do stay at the same place on the growth chart throughout their childhood. So the challenge for you, which maybe you are already feeling, is that people will think your 3-year-old is older than he or she really is because of size, and then expect a different level of behavior or development. That's what I always ran into with my son, who is off the charts in height. At 6' in 8th grade, he's a boy in a man's (adult L!) body...
Yep... exactly. It is even worse for my younger son as he has Aspergers. So, he's as tall as 10 year olds, he's 7 (soon to be 8) and has the behavior of a 5 year old.
Old 02-20-2013, 08:48 AM   #23  
Dukanista

S/C/G: high263/current257/ticker/198

my son isn't super tall, but he still gets mistaken for older a lot. When he was in kindergarten, the daycare he went to for afterschool care and summer camp got confused and put him in the older group for camp! lol! (they thought he was going into 2nd grade after the summer when he was only going into first grade). He's also very verbal and tends to enjoy talking to adults a lot and I think between that and being even just a little taller than average, they see him as older than he is.

But as far as the clothing charts, he's the reason why the sizes are not wrong, they are just averages. He was actually a lot "taller" (at least in terms of percentile) as a baby but so skinny that he wore 0-3 month onesies until he was like 12 months old - they are so stretchy that in his case, they stretched out longer because he didn't need any of the width.
April Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:21 AM   #24  

S/C/G: 163/128/125

Height: 5'5

Yeah, the mistaken for being older can cause problems for us. I know it's not as serious as something like asperger's but my son has a speech delay (he'll be 3 in June) compared to his peers and he has often been ignored by other children at play groups because they said he's "dumb", as he is taller than the 5 year olds. Fortunately, he is too young to comprehend this ostracism but.... I recently put him into preschool 3x a week and it's been helping with his speech.
sacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 03:34 PM   #25  

S/C/G: 277.8/250.8/175

Height: 5' 6.5"

Caleb, my oldest, was always one of the tallest in elementary and middle school but he just stopped growing once he got into 9th grade! He was so hoping for one more REALLY big spurt. He is 6'2", wears a 34x34 pant and a size 13 shoe. His dad was killed, in a car accident, when he was 19 and was still growing at 6'61/2" and about 215 lbs. The Dr. guess him reaching 6'6 or better. He is SOOO disappointed at his height!
jillbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 03:55 PM   #26  
Heidi

S/C/G: 204.5/149/153

Quote:
Caleb, my oldest, was always one of the tallest in elementary and middle school but he just stopped growing once he got into 9th grade! He was so hoping for one more REALLY big spurt. He is 6'2", wears a 34x34 pant and a size 13 shoe. His dad was killed, in a car accident, when he was 19 and was still growing at 6'61/2" and about 215 lbs. The Dr. guess him reaching 6'6 or better. He is SOOO disappointed at his height!
Awwww I'm sure it's hard for him; I can understand that completely.
newleaf123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 04:09 PM   #27  
Melissa

Quote:
Well... he will have to get over it and maybe along the way that staying 6'2" versus 6'6" will be a lot cheaper in the clothing department!!! I was SOOOOO glad that my son's feet stopped at a size 14 as after that (and even at that #), the prices go up, up, up and the selection goes down, down, down.

That, and at 6'6" some basements and doorframes get too short - you can hit your head going downstairs, etc.

But I do get it. My dad was 5'5". My mom was 5'4". When I was 13, when most girls are done growing or close to it, I was just at 5'0". We studied in health class about growth and we were given a growth chart. According to that chart, I would get no taller than 5'1.5" (maybe). I was in TEARS! Seriously in tears. I wouldn't get as tall as my mom? WHAT???? And my mom was done growing at 12. My dad done at FOURTEEN. I was going to be a shrimp! Shorter than everyone. WAH!!!!

Well... I kept growing. I went through puberty a bit late (menses started just before 15th birthday) and I kept growing until I was 16. Actually, sometime from 16-18 I grew another half inch.

My oldest brother? He was always the shortest kid in class. He grew REALLLLLY late - he's 6'3" tall! My younger brother who was always an average height kid? he ended up at 5'7.5" tall.

So that's why I said kids will follow that height path until puberty hits, then all bets are off.