Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 02-18-2013, 11:56 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 174/145.6/130-117

Height: 5feet1

Default Tea=water weight?

So to help with the snack urges the past two days I have been drinking about 3 cups of tea in the evening. Black, fruit, green, white...I am trying them all. Now I have been under 1350 cals both days but am up 1.5 lbs. Does this make sense? If this is water will my weight go down even if I keep drinking tea? I really want to keep drinking it and it is supposed to be good for one so ??? It is not TOM. I really don't understand how water weight works. Can someone explain it? Am I just better hydrated? How does water and tea help you lose weight? My belt is also fitting a hole bigger so I'm bloated or gaining. How much water consumption is too much? In addition to the tea over the course of the day I'll also have a coffee and a caffeine free diet coke. No milk in the tea, or sugar.
Fluffypuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 12:32 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 290/ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

Don't trust what the scale says from day to day, and it doesn't help you to figure out what is causing the slight deviation, because it might mean you try to cut out something that is actually helping you in the long run (like your tea habit). I know it's hard, but trust me in that everything you've described here is healthy and right on track, and just ignore slight changes in the scale. It will pay off given a little time!
kelly315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 07:00 AM   #3  
Heading Downtown...

S/C/G: 225/165/165

Height: 5'8"

If you are creating a calorie deficit you will eventually lose weight... Drinking water and tea will only "help" you lose weight if by drinking them it somehow prevents you from taking in calories... and helps you to create that deficit...

Last edited by TripSwitch; 02-19-2013 at 07:01 AM.
TripSwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 07:04 AM   #4  

Height: 5' 11"

I agree - if you see a consistent uptick in weight over a week, then I'd say let's take a look at the tea. But if you're doing your plan right, sticking to your cals, etc, you just need to let this go. Checking the scale day to day is helpful for some, but can be torture for others. It is what matters on a weekly basis - weight can fluctuate for about 1,000 reasons in the day to day.

Water weight, as I understand it, is the body retaining water due to hormones, salt intake, or other factors. The best way to relieve water weight is to drink more water. My understanding (someone with science plz correct if not right!) is your body is retaining/conserving water for a specific need; when it realizes there is lots of water coming in/available it doesn't retain it because it doesn't need too.

Try not to worry about it, keep doing what you're doing, and see what things look like after a week.
Ready2Lose2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 07:20 AM   #5  
Starting Over Again

S/C/G: 195/195/150

Height: 5'5"

Tea/water are always good for you. You may have gained some water weight, but its likely because you weren't drinking enough before. Drink more tea/water and the water weight will disappear. I know it sounds counter-productive, but its true.

Tea/water help you consume less calories because they fill you up. Just make sure you go with unsweetened. Personally, I find plain black tea too bitter without sugar. I recommend fruit-infused green/white teas, mint tea, and herbal teas. I love Trader Joe's White Tea with Pomegranate. I'm also a fan of Lipton's Green Tea with Passionfruit and Coconut.

You can't always go by the scale to recognize health. I've started drinking at least 3 cups of tea each day and I've noticed that it does wonders for my skin and metabolism. Many people mistake thirst for hunger.
Psychic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 07:33 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Water weight is talked about because we are actually more than HALF water ourselves!!! Water is in our muscles and our fat and our organs... everywhere.

It's hard to recognize fat weight/loss on a scale because our water weight fluctuations are much bigger than fat fluctuations. See the sticky about it here:
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weig...er-weight.html

When we lose weight we lose fat and water and lean mass (muscle). So when you get on a scale how can you tell how much you lost of each? You can't.

But we do know that to lose fat, we have to create a calorie deficit. As long as you're doing that consistently, the scale will move down, and some of that loss will be fat loss.

So, you can't worry about "water weight gains" from drinking tea -- enjoy the tea! It can help you lose weight if it helps you feel full and not eat other foods. Keep the calories down, and the fat losses will grow.

As for how much is too much, that varies by person and situation, but several cups of tea, a coffee and a diet coke are nothing to worry about... The people having problems with too much liquid are usually drinking gallons of liquid a day.
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 08:28 PM   #7  
Positive Focus

S/C/G: 225/ticker/125

Height: 5'1"

I can't imagine that the weight gain is from tea. Have you eaten a larger volume of food recently - not necessarily more calories, but there could be more weight in your intestinal tract? Have you changed your exercise routine recently - holding more water in your muscles from that? If anything, I would think the tea would help with water retention. The only other thing I can think is that if your evening tea is a replacement for several glasses of water, maybe you are getting less actual fluid volume than usual? (I'm guessing you are sipping hot tea?) Honestly, I think it's just an unexplained blip and it will go away very soon. I seriously think of my scale as a magic 8 ball - its relevance to what I do day to day and my weight is just about as connected as shaking the magic 8 ball and asking it if I will weigh less today. I would take that reading as "Ask again later" and check back tomorrow.
BeachBreeze2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 08:31 PM   #8  
Warrior Princess

Tea, without any sugar is zero calories. Same with black coffee.
novangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:50 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 145 / 102 / ?

Height: 5'

I thought tea was actually a diuretic? The only thing that could cause you to retain water in it would be too much artificial sweetener, or sodium saccharin.
HungryHungryHippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 11:05 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 174/145.6/130-117

Height: 5feet1

Thanks guys. I am enjoying the tea and it is helping me to eat less so I am gonna go with it. I just didn't understand how MORE water would help you NOT retain water.

Heather-- thanks for the link. I am going there next.

I drank 3 cups of tea again last night but didn't weigh myself today. I normally only weigh in once a week so when I did it two days in a row I wasn't used to the normal fluctuations. I guess that's all it was. You all are such a calming influence! If anyone else wants to add more info on water weight here please do.
Fluffypuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:35 AM   #11  
Positive Focus

S/C/G: 225/ticker/125

Height: 5'1"

As a daily weigher, I consider myself an expert on water weight - at least my own body's water cycles. If this kind of thing can derail you, you may want to try daily weighing for a couple of months so you can see how your body changes as your daily habits change and how TOM affects you and become an expert on your body's water cycles.

Yes - the more water you drink, the less you retain (as a general rule). The more bloated I feel, especially during TOM, the more water I try to drink. Think of it like this - if your body thinks water is a scarce resource, it will hold onto what it has but if it thinks there is more and more coming and it has "too much," it will flush it out.
BeachBreeze2010 is offline   Reply With Quote