Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 02-12-2013, 05:19 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 225/167/135

Height: 5'7"

I have planned slip-ups! At my old job on Saturdays we always went out for at least drinks but usually dinner. I would always look at the menu online and try to stay on plan as much as possible but sometimes I would let myself have that bread that came before the meal or have the dessert. And usually at least once a week I did a lunch with a co-worker. I think having planned "slip-ups" helps you not loose control but allows you to have that unhealthy treat so you don't obsess about it.
PatLib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 05:31 PM   #17  
Empress/Queen

I calorie cycle so I have high, low & medium days. There is never a need to "cheat."
Amarantha2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 05:56 PM   #18  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthyangie View Post
Thanks for that clarification John ... now I know what I was really thinking
I've got no doubt you know calories matter but many people read these threads.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 06:46 PM   #19  

i do have a planned cheat day which is Fridays and it's shocking how much i can eat, probably upwards of 3,000 cals although i've never counted.. and a lot of it is junk. The rest of the week i have no problems reigning it in and i eat "clean" and don't overeat and i'm pretty much at goal (except for the loose skin with a bit of fat spare tire) and for some reason i continued to (while nearly at goal) very slowly lose even with that huge cheat day-i suspect it gave a jolt to my metabolism and leptin, etc. it's the only thing i can think of...but you have to decide what is right for YOU of course
3fcuser291505109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:03 PM   #20  
Positive Focus

S/C/G: 225/ticker/125

Height: 5'1"

I second the calorie cycling. I don't have a structure but I do it. If I go over by 400 calories one day, I'll pull 200 out of the next two days or decide that I'll lose less this week and let it go. If its more than 400 calories, I automatically let it go. Too much deprivation following binging is a bad cycle.

Otherwise I would say if you find the desire for cheat foods too often, maybe you need to look at your plan. Are you eating foods you genuinely like everyday? If not, explore recipes and find new healthy foods you do like. For me, a bowl of raspberries and blueberries is a healthy treat I love. Do I like ice cream? Of course, but when something like the berries are the alternative its a lot easier to stay on plan.

Last edited by BeachBreeze2010; 02-12-2013 at 11:04 PM.
BeachBreeze2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:27 PM   #21  
Jillian stole my abs!

S/C/G: 195.8/138/140

Height: 5'5"

For the most part, I don't like to call them cheat days. I prefer to look at it as life happens, and I don't expect to be perfect on plan every single day.

I am on plan most days, but it's ok to now and then, eat off plan. Or maybe life throws you a curve.

As long as you have more on plan days than off, it's all good.

For instance, I have 2 weddings to attend this summer. I'm already planning for this. I will up my activity for a few days before and after, and I will be more vigilant about my food for a few days before and after, because I know, I'm going to eat cake and have a few drinks. One day of indulgence won't kill me. Repeated ones, that's another story!
shcirerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:20 AM   #22  

S/C/G: 242/242/168

Height: 5ft 7

I used to call them cheat days but now If I do have a day where I eat rubbish or a night where I sit and eat a chocolate bar I don't worry about it because it was worrying about it that had made me fall off the wagon in previous attempts. Like someone else said, one day turns into 2 and so on... and that was me!
I think because I am exercising every day I just work on the notion that I will have to do an extra 10 minutes on the treadmill at the gym...I would rather do that than deny myself a little of what I want when I fancy it
niknaknat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:42 PM   #23  

S/C/G: 195/145/145

Height: 5'11"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReillyJ View Post
i do have a planned cheat day which is Fridays and it's shocking how much i can eat, probably upwards of 3,000 cals although i've never counted.. and a lot of it is junk.
Good to hear that I'm not the only one who does this. I have a high-calorie dinner (about 1,500) every two weeks or so, and a free-for-all dinner (probably 3,500 to 4,000 cals) about once every two months. (I don't eat junk, though, because I much prefer gourmet food.) These indulgences keep me sane and haven't derailed my weight maintenance. The key, for me, is to weigh myself at least twice a week and make small day-to-day adjustments if needed.

Freelance
blog: www.englishgrammargripe.com

Last edited by freelancemomma; 02-13-2013 at 08:43 PM.
freelancemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:28 PM   #24  
F - Yeah, I'm doing this.

S/C/G: 297/*Ticker*/175

Height: 5'10"

Quote:
Originally Posted by shcirerf View Post
For the most part, I don't like to call them cheat days. I prefer to look at it as life happens, and I don't expect to be perfect on plan every single day.

I am on plan most days, but it's ok to now and then, eat off plan. Or maybe life throws you a curve.

As long as you have more on plan days than off, it's all good.

For instance, I have 2 weddings to attend this summer. I'm already planning for this. I will up my activity for a few days before and after, and I will be more vigilant about my food for a few days before and after, because I know, I'm going to eat cake and have a few drinks. One day of indulgence won't kill me. Repeated ones, that's another story!
Yes! This is exactly how I try to look at things too! Well said shcirerf. Today was a coworkers birthday, and everyone was having cheesecake. I had a slice and didn't regret it (right away at least , it kind of sat in the bottom of my stomach like a brick for the rest of the day) It was delicious and a nice treat (no matter how my gut felt later!)

I compensated for the extra cals at dinner, and instead of making spaghetti with pasta and ground beef like I had originally planned, I used squash and ground turkey. I don't want to deny myself the enjoyment that comes from tasty food with friends, as long as its not all the time. These are permanent changes that I am making to my eating habits and I don't ever want to feel like I am cheating myself.
Silverfire is offline   Reply With Quote