Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 02-11-2013, 12:38 AM   #16  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

After having some time to give this more thought ... you may want to check out "Rapid Fat Loss" which is very similar to the IP diet but less expensive because there are no foods or supplements to buy. The downside is no in person accountability which is the opposite of what I first suggested ... however I'm thinking your problem with the IP diet might have been that it is too restrictive with no breaks. Rapid Fat Loss is just as restrictive but there are breaks built in which might help you stick with it.

I'd still consider some psychological counseling if you've ever been a victim of abuse.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 07:04 AM   #17  

S/C/G: 171/160/145

Height: 5'4"

I have been struggling with my weight for 14 years. I finally found something that works for me. I have CHANGED my lifestyle. I have been going to CrossFit (you need to try and find an exercise that you enjoy) and I have recently started the "Zone" diet. The Zone combined with Crossfit gets you GREAT RESULTS. The Zone is not a DIET- it's a lifestyle of eating. Don't give up, you can take control of your life. It will take time. I need to be held accountable, that is one of the reasons Crossfit works for me, it is in a group setting. If you want more information about the zone or crossfit, let me know.
tonyamartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 11:48 AM   #18  
Positive Focus

S/C/G: 225/ticker/125

Height: 5'1"

I agree with Vex - I think it's just about making healthier decisions at each meal. Take it one bite and one meal at a time. Calorie counting is probably the ideal situation, but if you can't handle that right now, don't do it. Use your "common sense" and eat lower calorie foods than you currently do. Not an extreme, "nothing but lettuce" kind of diet, but just little improvements - popcorn instead of potato chips or try omitting the cheese/mayo on your sandwich, etc. There's a book called Eat This Not That that might help. The concept is about "invisible" dieting - you make lower calorie swaps on things that don't matter to you. You won't see a quick weight loss with this, but it might be a permanent change you can make that will add up over time.

I think there are two schools of thought - rapid routine modification for quicker results or slower, more gradual changes for slower more gradual weight loss. I've seen people on here make great progress with both choices. Which one is right for you?

But, my guess is that it's not an information problem - especially because I know you've been around the boards for a long time. I think it's some internal work that you need to do. There's a lot of us that struggle with this. Weight loss is scary. Being overweight, while it has its "cons, is also familiar to us. It's comforting. We know how to handle life in this body and it seems "easier" to just keep on, keepin' on. We tell ourselves, "I am an intelligent beautiful woman at any weight who has happy things in her life. I can lose weight later. I'm happy like I am." Yes....good....but you're not. This is my internal dialogue which could be different from yours - but just explore yours and see where it takes you.

You have mental roadblocks up - and no plan will help you to be successful until you can work through those. You don't have to have it all done to start - so don't use that excuse. One of my favorite posts on here talks about loving yourself enough to get started. It's DCHound on her "What's Different This Time" post. But, it's so true. You don't have to be giddy and excited with glee over yourself, but if you can put together enough love to just start - and then let the journey take you where it goes. Each time you want to run back into your "safe cave of overweight," don't. Examine the mental roadblock and PUSH THROUGH IT!

That's a big part of this journey - the mental work. It's scary, exhausting, overwhelming - but it's worth it. Honestly, not even for the weight loss - as wonderful as that has been - it's worth it to finally have that positive self esteem and confidence. Keep posting here as you go through these things and we'll all help you!! Just keep working and keep going. You can do this!! We're all pulling for you!!

Last edited by BeachBreeze2010; 02-11-2013 at 11:49 AM.
BeachBreeze2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 02:55 PM   #19  
Empress/Queen

It is nice to see you again. I've been around here for years, too.

I have no great advice other than wishing you well. JohnP said what I would say:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnP View Post
You've been around long enough to know there is no magic diet - though you've tried several that that claim to be so.

I don't believe you could possibly follow the IP diet protocol and not have it work for you. In theory there are some rare autoimmune diseases or medications that could make it practically impossible to lose weight but since you have already lost 40 lbs previously I don't think it is a medical issue.

In my opinion you need to get professional help from a person you can see on a regular basis that will hold you accountable. If this is not in the budget, there are FA (food addicts) groups and perhaps there is one locally. If you have any kind of previous abuse in your life you may also want to seek psychological help. Esteem is a tiered aproach and if you don't feel worthy of love than the obesity may just be a manifestation of what is going on in your head.
Amarantha2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 04:29 PM   #20  
Porthardygurl

S/C/G: 315/see ticker/180

Height: 6ft

Thanks everyone.

I think John is right. I need help for my other issues. I have been a victim of lots of abuse and It has been very hard to ever accept or love myself, even when i was skinnier. Aside from that..South Beach works but takes a long time to get results or show results. I guess i should just go back to that, but i know my issue is with control...always trying to control my body.. i think thats why its so easy to go extreme..To go from something that lose weight fast and then i stop and then i start..its like..I have control then something happens and it triggers something and then i give up or quit or get hopeless..sigh...
Porthardygurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 03:00 AM   #21  

S/C/G: 220/182/155

Height: 5'6

For me personally, I find that sticking to a "fad diet" (within reason of course) is the easiest way for me to be successful. I think each person is different. I need the structure that a plan provides. I'm not quite sure what Dukan IP is, but I'm currently doing the Dukan Diet (regular). I've had some great results with it. I strangely don't even feel very deprived. I'm rarely hungry and for me this plan has been the most do-able of anything I've tried (and I've tried SO many things. I gained about 60 pounds in two years and knew I needed to change. scrambled around trying everything from regular healthy eating and exercise to diet pills to cleanses. Dukan is literally the ONLY thing that has worked for me longer term. I'm not saying you have to do Dukan, but it might just be a matter of finding your weight loss niche (whatever program works best for you, whether it's a specific diet or a plan you devise for yourself).

I agree that seeing a nutritionist could be helpful to give you some options. Try not to be discouraged. Weight loss is never easy, but it's worth it. Good luck!
pomelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:39 AM   #22  
MaryGee

I gave up "dieting" and then lost weight. Like you, I tried everything -- would do well but then would have "bad" days or "cheated" and always ended up feeling like a failure.

So I decided to (1) eat sensibly - make healthy choices and (2) limit my portions. I occasionally had fried chicken or chinese food - but only once in a while. I never felt like a failure because I was't on a diet and I knew I was eating healthier than before. I never weighed myself. Six months later I went to a doctor's appointment and let them weigh me - and discovered I lost 50 pounds. (I didn't notice because when you have a lot to lose, it doesn't show up until you've lost 40-50 pounds, at least for me). Needless to say, I was thrilled.

Like it or not - it's going to take time to lose all the weight you want to, but if you drop weight too fast becuase of a drastic diet, you will regain it quickly once you "go off" the drastic diet.

I hope you find something that works well for you. After I realized I lost the weight, I did some more reading here - Intuitive Eating was a thread that hit home with me - it's eating when you are physically hungry and stop eating when you are no longer hungry, combined with making health choices.

Best of luck to you.

forreal is offline   Reply With Quote