Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 02-07-2013, 03:10 AM   #1  

Default No longer suicidal and new life style advice needed

Hi,
Its me again! I have just stopped having suicidal thoughts.
The past 10 years of my life have been spent with an eating disorder. I hate it, it has stopped me from enjoying life and caused me to yo-yo diet a lot.

I had mental health issues, the biggest one was sucidal thoughts. I have however found my will to live.

Now i have found that i need to think about dieting long term.

My last plan was calorie cycling with a lot of exercise. This was fine when i was a masters student, who occasionally went to the gym.
Now i am in work however (my job is very physical), with a boyfriend, karate twice a week, the gym twice a week. I am starting to think that maybe that isnt the plan for me anymore. I also want to be able to enjoy the good times in life (e,g festive days) that my eating disorder wouldn't let me.

I am 23, 5ft 7 and around 145-147lbs
I walk home from work everday which is off the bat a 35 minute walk.
My job involves a lot of lifting and going up and down stairs
So i am thinking i will stick to the following plan:
Monday 1200 +gym
Tuesday 1400 + 2hrs karate
Wed 800-`1200 + gym
Thur 1400 + 2hrs karate
Friday 800-1000 /time with boyfriend (generally a walk)
Sat 1200-1400
Sunday 800-1200 + gym

I am thinking for treat days e.g valentines, birthdays, st Patricks day ( im irish), Easter. I will have a 2k day with extra exercise.

I got sick of healthy eating (low calories) preventing me from enjoying events. I know food isnt the be all and end all of life, yet it tends to be a part of occasions.
Thanks
Cheryl
irishcanary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 09:54 AM   #2  
Calorie Counter

S/C/G: 195/195/170

Height: 5'3"

I am glad that you have your mental health issues under control. Congrats on getting your masters degree!

What are your long term goals. Based on the info you provided, you do not appear to be overweight. Are you wanting to tone and maintain your weight? If this is your goal, I would up your calories, making sure to add in lots of protein.
I am thinking that 800 calories is way to low for you, especially with all your physical activity. I would encourage you to keep your calories above 1200 and even up them some on your heavy work out days.
If it is financially possible, spend some time with a personal trainer, they should be able to help you develop a program to build and tone muscle which will reshape your body.
Best of luck you you!
NEMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 10:12 AM   #3  
Heidi

S/C/G: 204.5/149/153

Height: 5'7"

I second the idea of seeking out a personal trainer, and would also add a nutritionist. I don't count calories so I'm no expert, but your calorie counts strike me as low for someone your age, height, and level of physical activity.

You didn't indicate what your goal is. Are you looking to lose weight or maintain weight? The answer to that will drive where your caloric intake should be.

Best of luck; it sounds like you've got everything lined up nicely in your life

Last edited by newleaf123; 02-07-2013 at 10:12 AM.
newleaf123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 11:03 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 292/144/145

Height: 5'10"

With your history, you should do this with the help of a trained professional, definitely a nutritionist, and probably a mental health professional. I'm not sure you fully grasp that the amount of weight you could lose is really very small; you're a healthy weight already, and that worries me that, although you talk about an eating disorder in the past tense, that you're still dealing with it. Planning 800 calorie days and working out at the same time leads me to the same conclusion. Lower calorie and lower carbs can have huge effects on your mental state; that should be monitored by somebody with knowledge of your past.

I wish you the best of luck; I just think that you shouldn't be doing this alone.
Robin41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 02:37 PM   #5  
Stephanie

S/C/G: 236/135-140/More Fit

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin41 View Post
With your history, you should do this with the help of a trained professional, definitely a nutritionist, and probably a mental health professional. I'm not sure you fully grasp that the amount of weight you could lose is really very small; you're a healthy weight already, and that worries me that, although you talk about an eating disorder in the past tense, that you're still dealing with it. Planning 800 calorie days and working out at the same time leads me to the same conclusion. Lower calorie and lower carbs can have huge effects on your mental state; that should be monitored by somebody with knowledge of your past.

I wish you the best of luck; I just think that you shouldn't be doing this alone.
I agree. At a certain point it's best to acknowledge perhaps we, ourselves, don't necessarily have all the answers and even with the best of intentions we don't always have our own best interest at heart. If you aren't already seeking help I think it might be time.

I think you probably understand, rationally, that 800-1000 calories per day for your age, weight, height, and activity level is not healthy.

Best of luck to you!
LockItUp is offline   Reply With Quote