Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 02-04-2013, 08:49 PM   #1  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

Default Keeping the yo-yo at bay

On paper I have successfully maintained within a 5 lb range since May or June. I weigh daily and have a pretty "regular" lifestyle and have not had what I would qualify as a "binge" in almost a year and a half. I am VERY loosey-goosey about my diet, keeping it 80% clean and 20% filthy dirty because, well, I can get away with it.

Week before last I got sick and lost quite a few scale pounds, which I then tried to keep off and was successful for about a week. I then went away over the weekend and overate junk food and am having THE. HARDEST. TIME. getting back on track. I feel almost desperate to get these 3-4 lbs of bloat off before vacation at the end of the week. At the same time, I just really want to STUFF MY FACE with everything in sight.

Grumble, grumble. Anyone else having a tough time? I don't know how calorie counters and stricter people can handle life - someone takes my piles of cookies away and I feel DEPRIVED like a maniac.
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 08:58 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 145 / 102 / ?

Height: 5'

Krampus, you impress me, because I can't "eat like a normal person," and not get instantly fat again. I have to be constantly on guard. But I can relate to overeating and having trouble reining it in again.
HungryHungryHippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:18 PM   #3  

Krampus, I understand how you feel. On the one hand, maintenance is much easier than I thought it would be and much easier than others had warned me it would be. However, like you, I eat pretty well, but I also eat like crap on a fairly regular basis, too. So, for example, I might bake a pecan pie, and polish the entire pie off within three days (and that's with me holding back, big time). I will nosh on snacks like pretzel rods w/ peanut butter, an entire bad of black&white chocolate popcorn, etc. In between this kind of eating, I eat healthy foods (I'm a bit of a foodie, so I'm into fresh, local, organic, homemade, etc.).
Because I can eat so many calories on maintenance and I don't always reach my limit each day (and I cycle my calories), I am able to get away with those snack attacks without gaining weight. However, over the holidays, too many days like that occurred in a row, and I've gained a few pounds (like you, 3-4). Even though I'm still within the my own "allowed" range, I feel better at the lower end of my range than at the top end where I am now. I am also finding it difficult to get back on track, but I think that's fairly normal when there's been a sustained period of eating too much junk. Last week, I tried eating cleaner and was successful for part of the time, but not as successful as I would have liked. This week is somewhat better so far (but, then again, it's only Monday!). I find that if I can just not snack or have dessert for a few days, I feel much more in control and find it easier to eat cleaner from that point.
I wish you (and me) luck!

Last edited by lin43; 02-04-2013 at 09:19 PM.
lin43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:51 PM   #4  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

I can't eat like a normal person and maintain, either. I have to eat for 'my normal', which in maintenance is a little more leeway with calories provided I control my macros carefully. If I'm not keeping my carbs in check I gain SO much more easily, even on the exact same calorie amount.

I stay sane with treats I can eat, like artisan dark chocolate, a gourmet coffee, steak with blue cheese, roasted nuts, etc etc. If my weight travels outside my maintenance range I will cut back accordingly, but I do NOT eliminate all my daily yumminess unless it is causing me cravings/overeating. I'll cut back or pick ONE item (today it was two - a homemade 'bubble tea' and some of the aforementioned dark chocolate [Francois Pralus's Ghana... so good!]) but I won't strip them completely.

And there is no denying that for no rhyme or reason, some seasons are much easier than others for weight loss and maintenance. Sometimes I'm so on the ball and everything is effortless, and other times it is sheer force of will and habit that gets me through. I just refuse to do anything else and manage to squeeze through the tough times until it becomes easier again. I hate those seasons and am glad they are infrequent, but sometimes we're just off our game a bit. Sometimes just making the diet background noise and focusing on another habit or hobby can help - I'm in the middle of making a bunch of toys for my pet rats and refining the handwriting approach I'm using for homeschooling my kids. That keeps my hands and brain busy, which makes focusing less on food easier.
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:56 PM   #5  

Height: 5' 11"

Hi Krampus - congrats on your ability to maintain - that is an accomplishment that so many of us strive for here!

I have also found that when I "fall off the wagon" and splurge for several days on end, it is harder to get back on track - but my theory is it has as much to do with nutrient balance as anything else. When I'm on plan, my sugar and carbs are in check - not low, per se, but lower than if I had my eating druthers! I feel like an infusion of that stuff after a while with it at a more moderate clip makes me crave it more, making it harder to get back on track.

Maybe try watching sugar, or starches, or carbs, to start - just for 1-2 days: focus on consciously cutting back on them and don't worry about the rest of it. Then see where your willpower/focus is.

That is usually a good place for me to start, maybe it will be for you too.

Good luck!
Ready2Lose2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:30 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 195/145/145

Height: 5'11"

Quote:
Originally Posted by krampus View Post
On paper I have successfully maintained within a 5 lb range since May or June. I weigh daily and have a pretty "regular" lifestyle and have not had what I would qualify as a "binge" in almost a year and a half. I am VERY loosey-goosey about my diet, keeping it 80% clean and 20% filthy dirty because, well, I can get away with it.
That's exactly what I've been doing, except that I do have occasional binges at all-you-can-eat restaurants. Some days are definitely harder than others. As long as you keep weighing yourself regularly and establish a hard red line, you'll be fine!

F.
freelancemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:10 AM   #7  
Staying the Same

Thanks for your responses. TOM came today and I feel slightly more human (for now), but am battling the idiotic non-logic of "I'm nearly 5 lbs heavier than I was a week ago so I don't deserve to go shopping for a cute outfit for my vacation." That's just stupid though and I know it. Hoping I'll snap out of it fairly quickly.

Last edited by krampus; 02-05-2013 at 11:10 AM.
Old 02-05-2013, 04:55 PM   #8  
Pretty harmless really...

S/C/G: Maintaining 142-148

Height: 5 ft 8.5" athlete who can give a punch & certainly take one too! :)

Congrats Krampus for maintaining for 9 months- woo hoo- yanno do you realize you coulda had a baby in that time frame? LOL all kidding aside, that's a good maintenance run thus far, bravo to you, you are well on your way! It's pretty SA-WEET to have your cake and eat it too, huh? I'm a total 80/20 kinda gal myself. Weight does not remain on the dot daily, try not to let the scale mess with your head so much, it's only a number and not your worth remember! $hit happens, **** not $hittin could be the problem even too when the scale rises.
Fluctuating 5 lbs is an ideal maintenance range if you ask me. I think you are rockin it staying in da range for 9 months. Fluctuations happen due to hormones, ovulation, stress, full moon, sodium and sugar surges, infact fluctuations are the norm 'specially after veering off to "filth-land" (dirty days) after having the majority of your days being squeaky clean. IMHO, it's what you eat the majority of the time that matters most, not the "funfest" days. Try not to let the scale make you crazy. Your doing fine and you've done it for 9 months, celebrate that Krampus!
Ya see you said TOM arrived, well their ya go, it's hormonal fluctuations and your retaining water from the sodium & sugar, suck down some extra water today and you'll be fine, I promise. And go get your shop on & lose the 'tude, don't let a bloaty crappy day ruin a shopping trip that you are deserve worthy of for maintaining for 9 months girl!
Ok, I just back pedaled and read a few of your other latest posts being I am not here very often anymore. Maybe getting back on track as of late has something to do with the astro turf? Maybe the baked variety may have also contributed to the stronger aftermath with major munchies this cycle vs the grass is always greener garden variety type.... LOL
'just saying, cuz you never know! ~ Wendalyn
evilwomaniamshe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:13 PM   #9  
Back to Basics!

S/C/G: 187/127/125

Height: 5' 2.5"

I relate so mich I could cry! I had the flu for three weeks and got down to a low scale weight. My body has been fighting me ever since and I am a never ending pit of eating crap. Baaaad. I'm bloated and weighing more than I care to admit. This is day four in a row of bad eating, which is really unusual for me. I think I started feeling that "I could" too much. My scale disagrees...
ChickieChicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 09:12 PM   #10  
Maria

S/C/G: 253/144/129.8

Height: 5' 6"

I have a long way to go before I can start maintaining, but I still eat crap. Mostly before TOM. It's normal. I binged today and I'll binge again for the next couple of days and I already know I will. That's the difference now. It's calculated and I will barely go off my calories. The alternative is sticking to my diet until it gets completely out of control.

Everyone on this planet overeats every now and then. As long as you remain vigilant, so to speak, you'll be fine.
Marniadec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:48 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 145 / 102 / ?

Height: 5'

You're going to London, right? Hells yeah, you should go shopping for something fun!! And go to Topshop, while you are there. :-)
HungryHungryHippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 03:25 PM   #12  
Staying the Same

I already went to London - I bought a great top and some dope leggings at Topshop, a cool fake leather jacket, and ate some great food. Ironically I maintained at a lower weight when I was there. The upcoming trip is to the FL Keys with my boyfriend. We are planning on running a lot and also eating a lot of key lime pie. :P

HAHA evilwomanisshe the astro turf never helps, especially during TOM. Thanks for talking me down from this, it's quite silly and I don't even think I NEED the scale at this point...
Old 02-06-2013, 03:25 PM   #13  
Staying the Same

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChickieChicks View Post
I relate so mich I could cry! I had the flu for three weeks and got down to a low scale weight. My body has been fighting me ever since and I am a never ending pit of eating crap. Baaaad. I'm bloated and weighing more than I care to admit. This is day four in a row of bad eating, which is really unusual for me. I think I started feeling that "I could" too much. My scale disagrees...
Three weeks is brutal, completely brutal! I'm glad you are "better" in that regard now...but yeah the body's "refeed" impulse is a tough one. Hang in there!