Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 02-05-2013, 05:07 PM   #61  

S/C/G: 298/ticker/175

Height: 5'7"

I've set my goal at 175 which is 15 pounds heavier than normal BMI for my height. I've done this for a few reasons. I haven't weighed less than 200 pounds since I was 13 and I'm 49 now. I have a large frame and big bones for my height. I also want to be at a weight that it won't kill me to maintain it.

I've spoken with my medical practioner and she agrees with my goal and my reasons for it. The truth is, I can always change when I get closer. I honestly can't even comprehend what it will be like to be below 200.
Garnet2727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 05:17 PM   #62  

I am right there with you Garnet! I haven't seen less than 200 in so long I can't even imagine how it's going to feel.

We are similar in height and weight right now so we could possibly get there at the same time!

I think I am going to pass out when the scale starts with a "1", it's going to be unreal!

After I am done with my passing-out episode, I will reset my new goal weight.
elvislover324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:44 PM   #63  
*Embrace Power*

S/C/G: 332/279.8/195

Height: 5'5

Currently my goal is 175 but I wouldn't mind getting to 150, which is ideal the most I should weigh for my height. I have always been super comfortable around 175, confident and healthy around that way, so I am not going to be hard on myself if I cannot get any lower. If I am able to then great!
Pink Hurricane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:05 PM   #64  

S/C/G: 292/144/145

Height: 5'10"

It's interesting that the reason that many people pick a goal weight on the higher side, that it's reasonably easy to maintain, is exactly the reason why I went a lot lower that I had originally planned to. I saw 165 as some sort of miracle dream number that I had thought about for years. I tried to maintain there and just couldn't do it. My problem was that the difference between 165 and 170-175 just didn't show up very much, either in how I looked or in how my clothes fit, so I just started inching higher and higher until I was fighting myself to stay at the 175. When I got myself under control, I realized that a light weight like 144-146 meant that every extra pound showed up in my face and how my clothes fit and it was much harder to fool myself that it was still ok, that I hadn't lost control and that I wasn't putting weight back on. So it's a little harder to stay at my usual 144 in terms of food and exercise choices, but it's a lot easier to catch myself before I put more than 2-3 pounds on, and I'm never fighting an extra fifteen.

This probably wouldn't work for everybody, but it suits my own personal brand of crazy.

Last edited by Robin41; 02-05-2013 at 11:07 PM.
Robin41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 09:43 AM   #65  

S/C/G: 181/148.8/129

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renwomin View Post
If you really look at it BMI (or any other height/weight scale) is a bad metric. It doesn't take into account fitness, healthy, or body fat percentage. When athletes are being listed as "overweight" on the BMI scale you know something is wrong!
You're right but, personally, I still like to use it as a guideline. I don't like how I feel at 140. My thighs are still too thick, my stomach is too pronounced, etc.. I feel better at 135, I can move quicker which is quite noticeable when your roommate is teaching you cardio kickboxing and speed and precision are key if you don't want to look stupid.

That's not to say that you can't be quick and precise at a higher weight...just that I'm not. I'm a little person, 5'3" isn't exactly tall, and I can't haul that kind of weight.

It was interesting reading some of the responses and while I know you put up a disclaimer regarding curves, I still wanted to put in my two cents...

At my highest - 181lbs - I had C cups, hips, and everything else. My ex called me "curvy" but I think we've begun to fudge what curvy really means. I wasn't curvy, I was obese. Those "curves" were primarily fat rolls. My body composition was appalling. It's still not great but it's a lot better than it was.

Now that I've lost 45 pounds, I can tell you that I am a curvy woman. The curves are actual curves, not rolls of fat hanging off every part of my body. I'm touting a smaller band size but the same cup size. Still got hips, they aren't going anywhere. My figure is an hourglass sort of shape, I tend to distribute evenly with a little extra on my stomach but not too much.

So to those who are afraid of not being "curvy" anymore, I ask - what do you consider curvy? And I say, if anything, don't be afraid because chances are, you'll still be curvy regardless. The difference will be in what the curves are made of.

BUT - yes, do what you feel is best for you and ignore anyone who tries to be rude about it. Your body, your choice. I hate people telling me what to do, I wouldn't dream of doing the same. I just wanted to slip in my own thoughts, this was an interesting read. =)
Doomkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 10:05 AM   #66  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovedancelive View Post
You're right but, personally, I still like to use it as a guideline. I don't like how I feel at 140. My thighs are still too thick, my stomach is too pronounced, etc.. I feel better at 135, I can move quicker which is quite noticeable when your roommate is teaching you cardio kickboxing and speed and precision are key if you don't want to look stupid.

That's not to say that you can't be quick and precise at a higher weight...just that I'm not. I'm a little person, 5'3" isn't exactly tall, and I can't haul that kind of weight.

It was interesting reading some of the responses and while I know you put up a disclaimer regarding curves, I still wanted to put in my two cents...

At my highest - 181lbs - I had C cups, hips, and everything else. My ex called me "curvy" but I think we've begun to fudge what curvy really means. I wasn't curvy, I was obese. Those "curves" were primarily fat rolls. My body composition was appalling. It's still not great but it's a lot better than it was.

Now that I've lost 45 pounds, I can tell you that I am a curvy woman. The curves are actual curves, not rolls of fat hanging off every part of my body. I'm touting a smaller band size but the same cup size. Still got hips, they aren't going anywhere. My figure is an hourglass sort of shape, I tend to distribute evenly with a little extra on my stomach but not too much.

So to those who are afraid of not being "curvy" anymore, I ask - what do you consider curvy? And I say, if anything, don't be afraid because chances are, you'll still be curvy regardless. The difference will be in what the curves are made of.

BUT - yes, do what you feel is best for you and ignore anyone who tries to be rude about it. Your body, your choice. I hate people telling me what to do, I wouldn't dream of doing the same. I just wanted to slip in my own thoughts, this was an interesting read. =)

I agree. Curvy used to be what was pictured up above - a woman with a nice figure - think Jessica Rabbit. Somehow it turned into a nicer way to say an overweight female.

Been with my guy for 20 years and he much prefers the feel of firmness of muscle over the squishiness of fat.
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 10:17 AM   #67  
Starting over sucks.

S/C/G: 485/445/250

Height: 6'1

Quote:
Originally Posted by berryblondeboys View Post
I agree. Curvy used to be what was pictured up above - a woman with a nice figure - think Jessica Rabbit. Somehow it turned into a nicer way to say an overweight female.
This is very true. I have told people on numerous occasions not to refer to me as curvy. I was "curvy" when I was 200 pounds and had a visible, well proportioned hour glass, even if I was larger than the norm. I was not and am not "curvy" at 300 or 400 or 450 pounds.

I'm all for respecting and loving people of any shape size or form, but I think that the "curvy" or "bbw" thing is doing a lot of young women a disservice. Some of us will always be heavier, even at our healthiest, and we should embrace that. But using "I'm curvy" as a crutch or an excuse for bad habits and a lack of responsibility for our health is a bad, bad idea. Political correctness has hobbled us just a little bit in that regard.

Ok, off soapbox now.

Last edited by Radiojane; 02-06-2013 at 10:18 AM.
Radiojane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 11:19 AM   #68  
Dukanista

S/C/G: high263/current257/ticker/198

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin41 View Post
It's interesting that the reason that many people pick a goal weight on the higher side, that it's reasonably easy to maintain, is exactly the reason why I went a lot lower that I had originally planned to. I saw 165 as some sort of miracle dream number that I had thought about for years. I tried to maintain there and just couldn't do it. My problem was that the difference between 165 and 170-175 just didn't show up very much, either in how I looked or in how my clothes fit, so I just started inching higher and higher until I was fighting myself to stay at the 175. When I got myself under control, I realized that a light weight like 144-146 meant that every extra pound showed up in my face and how my clothes fit and it was much harder to fool myself that it was still ok, that I hadn't lost control and that I wasn't putting weight back on. So it's a little harder to stay at my usual 144 in terms of food and exercise choices, but it's a lot easier to catch myself before I put more than 2-3 pounds on, and I'm never fighting an extra fifteen.

This probably wouldn't work for everybody, but it suits my own personal brand of crazy.
Interesting perspective, thank you for sharing.

I'm one of those who is assuming a reasonable, realistic and maintainable goal is going to be higher rather than lower, but this is definitely something helpful to add to the thought process.
April Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 12:09 PM   #69  

Quote:
Curvy used to be what was pictured up above - a woman with a nice figure
I've always been a big gal and an apple shape. As I've lost weight (I'm at 102 pounds lost as of Monday), I've actually started gaining a little bit of shape that I would consider "curves".

It's not much...but my waist is actually slightly smaller than hip and bust now. I've never had any kind of "shape" to my body - I've always referred to myself as bullet shaped.

However, in very close fitting clothing, I actually feel like I'm getting a little bit into the hourglass shape that is seen as traditionally curvy.
I have never referred to myself as curvy despite having a largish bust; I've never understood what large women are referring to when they say they love their curves.
eliza422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 12:58 PM   #70  

S/C/G: 280/255/Healthy, Happy, Strong

Like so many things in life there is a happy medium.

Being really overweight (with body fat) can have a horrible stress on the body. But as well, being skinny doesn't automatically equate to being healthy. There have been some recent studies that indicate that one of the largest factors to long term health is physical fitness regardless your size.

I'm losing weight to get healthier. My weight is a contributing factor to health factors such as sleep apnea, borderline high blood pressure, borderline high cholesterol. Now is the time to make the change before these things get worse. But if I'm completely honest with myself and you all I also want to be at a weight where I feel more attractive. I also want to be at a size where I can shop almost anywhere for my clothes.

I don't find fat rolls on myself attractive. I also know that at 170, I didn't have any (or it was so slight it didn't bother me). I don't equate fat rolls to curviness. We all have our own personal body ideal (and there is nothing wrong with that!). For me, my personal ideal for me is genuinely around a size 12/14. (My husband thinks the same thing. Actually I think for him it would be a bit larger.) The media ideal is much smaller than that. I also know that I can be attractive and healthy at that size. If I get smaller at some point because I get into a really active hobby than that is perfectly fine, but I'm not actively seeking a lower weight at this time. When I get down there again I might change my mind for one reason or another.
Renwomin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 03:52 PM   #71  
A child of God :)

S/C/G: 325/Ticker/199 (for now)

It's so funny how body shapes are SO different. At 170, I had a small fat roll below my belly button but otherwise, no real 'fat rolls'. I'm pretty short too. I got *insane* attention from men -- so I guess personal anecdotal "evidence" points to many men preferring or at least not minding a girl with more endowed curves (and GASP!! even a little fat roll lol)

I've been happily married for over 15 years and my husband and I have enjoyed a very active and satisfying...well... love life ...(to be polite) no matter what weight I've been so I can safely assume his attraction for me is not rooted in my weight (thank God) but something deeper, something eternal. And I love that.

I'm doing this for me, not for what society, or men, or experts, or the catty girls who've never outgrown high school or whoever believes is the "right" weight/bmi, whatever. I think holding that view allows me to change my "goal" weight any old time I feel like it with no second thought lol

Right now, it's a higher...as the title of this thread asked input on Everyone has to do what they feel is best for them! I don't bemoan or criticize anyone's goal weight -- even if it's too thin in my opinion. That's their business.
35X35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 07:58 PM   #72  

S/C/G: 280/260/180

Height: 5'7

Honestly I just picked my goal as a 100 lbs less than I started with. I can't quite imagine it as I have failed and yoyo dieted so much. If I can loose 100 lbs it will be a dream come true. I'll be crazy with joy after that I'll reassess and perhaps lower my goal.
Glover girl is offline   Reply With Quote