Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Closed Thread

Old 05-03-2003, 02:22 PM   #1  

Exclamation Suggestions/Comments about my Diet! Pls

Okay.. i was looking for people to comment good or bad about my average day of eating.. i'll give you two typical days of what i would eat, and you guys/girls please tell me where i should improve my diet! Thanx a lot in advanced..

8am - Rolled Oats
10:30am - Apple or some other fruit
1:00pm - 6 inch veggie sub or salad ( lettuce, tomatoe, low fat dressing )
3:30pm - [Apple or sum other fruit] or [yogurt mixed in with equal amount of cornflakes]
6:30pm - [Roasted boneless skinless chicken breast with steamed veggies, sometimes i add a cup of white rice to this also] or [sandwich made of tuna, lettuce, tomatoe]
9:00pm - If im feeling a lil hungry, or staying up a little late then i'll have an apple here.

And that is the rough outline of my average daily food intake.. sumdays i varie a bit from it with different fruits and such, but the times are pretty constant, please give me sum comments! thanx, bye.
Old 05-03-2003, 04:45 PM   #2  
Dancing those pounds away

Defcon... this is the second post I have seen of yours going unanswered.
I am sooo sorry that you have not gotten a better response.
I am not going to be much help to you either I am sorry to say.
I have NEVER been where you are. Ijust wanted to show you some support. I have never been so close to goal. I could only share what I have read in books and you have probably already read them all. LOL

I can say that you sound like you have a healthy food plan and to just keep it up and enjoy your life. Not much protein there .. but then you are far more successful than I ... so who am I to say anything is wrong. LOL

Congratulations on your success and if you keep up a healthy diet and a healthy life style you will not only lose the rest of your weight... you will KEEP IT OFF.

Good luck.

Last edited by 2cute2Bfat; 05-03-2003 at 04:48 PM.
Old 05-03-2003, 05:25 PM   #3  
Happy Member

Hi, Defcon. Your menu looks so much like mine. As a diabetic I am on what is called an 'exchange program' which just means that I keep track of the number of portions of each food group that I consume. I use the Richard Simmons Foodmover to keep track of those portions. Here is what I will usually eat in a day.

Breakfast: 1/4 cup rolled oats cooked with 1 T. ground flaxseed and 1/4 apple chopped. About 1/2 cup skim milk.
AM Snack - 1 cup raw carrot strips
Lunch: 1/2 whole wheat pita stuffed with 1-2 oz. chicken plus 1/2 cup cooked veggies
PM Snack - 3/4 apple
Supper - mixed veggie salad, 2 oz. chicken, mixed fruit
Late Snack - 1/8 cup Kashi GF cereal mixed with 1/4 cup fat free vanilla yogurt

Like you I vary this occasionally. And of course I occasionally eat something I absolutely shouldn't.

Comparison - I possibly eat more veggies than you do. The program I am on advises that I eat five servings of veggies per day - a serving is 1 cup raw or 1/2 cup cooked.

Since your menu is so close to mine I have to call it good. Keep up the good work.
Old 05-03-2003, 06:40 PM   #4  

Default yay :)

Yeah.. i also think its a pretty good plan.. but about the protein, what are some good sources of protein that are low in cals and fat and all the bad stuff lol, i like chicken and tuna.. never go a day without having either of them.. any other suggestions? Thanx again People!
Old 05-04-2003, 04:23 AM   #5  
Empress/Queen

Defcon, it seems to my inexpert eye that your menu is way too low in calories for a 5'9" male, but it's hard to tell without knowing the serving sizes you are eating.

Also, I don't see any milk or other good calcium source, except maybe the yogurt. (Also, what about vitamin D?)

Lean beef has the most useable form of iron and some other nutrients that you can eat. Beef is NOT an unhealthy food if you choose lean and limit the amount.

What about turkey? This has many health benefits as well.

Soy protein is also very useful. You could try tofu in shakes or baked and sliced in sandwiches. Soymilk is delicious as well; it can take some getting used to if you haven't been drinking it but it's good in smoothies ... it's best to buy the calcium fortified kind without added sugar ... you can blend it with frozen fruit and Splenda or drink it straight. There are also commercial whey products on the market that are convenient, cheap and a very superior protein source. These can be somewhere close to the soymilk.

Since you like yogurt, you might like kefir and similar liquid products ... it comes in flavors and tastes good ... you can find it in health food stores and sometimes in natural food markets (like Trader Joe's or Wild Oats).

Commercial protein shakes are another way you could up your protein without adding a lot of calories from sugar and fat ... if you choose good quality ones. These can be expensive, though, but if you are looking for muscle growth or definition, as it seems from your other thread, maybe these could help.

Cottage cheese is a good source of protein as well. I like to buy single servings of fat free cottage cheese a carton of mini plum tomatoes (from grocery) as a meal on the road. For some reason I like red pepper flakes on cottage cheese, so I keep that in the car most of the time.

Salmon is another great protein source. It is rich in essential fats that our bodies need. You can likely find ready-to-cook salmon patties fresh in the fish case or frozen in the health food section of your store.

Another thing is ... why limit your grain intake to just oatmeal? There's a world of great grains out there and some of them provide protein as well. The net or your library should provide info on that.

You don't mention eggs (which are now ok if your cholesterol is ok), egg whites (if cholesterol is a problem) or egg substitutes, most of which are just egg whites in convenient cartons. These provide excellent protein and variety.

Anyhow, since you ask, these are just some thoughts. To really know what you should be eating, a doctor or nutritionist should be consulted. Have a great day.
Old 05-06-2003, 12:24 PM   #6  

I agree that more then likely you are not eating enough calories. That can actually make you GAIN weight! My suggestion, try www.fitday.com (it's free!) and see what they recommend. You can count your calories here too. I thought I was eating so healthfully, but I found out I was only eating 1000 a day! I have added food and now make sure I eat my recommended amount. If I ever feel guilty, I refer to this site. Good luck!
Old 05-08-2003, 08:02 AM   #7  

Unhappy

anyone else with sumthing for me..?
Old 05-08-2003, 11:56 AM   #8  
Old Cackler

i agree with these other ladies, not enough protein, too few calories.
Old 05-08-2003, 10:45 PM   #9  

Hi...I've posted replies to some of your posts before..I think maybe in another thread. Anyway, in there, I had asked you about the foods you ate since you had lost so much in such a short time. I had gotten discouraged because I was losing an average of 6 lbs per month for about 6 months then suddenly the loss came to a standstill. I had kept my calories around 1300-1350 during that time. Anyway, the past week I added 200 or so calories to my daily intake and guess what...I've lost almost 2 more lbs...yeahhhhhhh!! So I guess what they say is true...sometimes we do keep our calories too low. And normally guys need even more than us ladies.
Old 05-10-2003, 10:22 PM   #10  
"L" in Loser!

MikiG,

I know what you are saying. Some weeks I might have a couple of cheat days. I don't binge, but, I eat a few things that maybe I shouldn't...or a little more than I should. I step on the scale that week and think that surely it won't budge...and, then, it does. So, I definitely agree with you.

Defcon, I agree with the others. You don't seem to be getting enough protein, esp if you are male. Someone mentioned GoLean Cereal...some of that has protein. GoLean Crunch! in specific. And, I have some Nature's Own Ultra Wheat here...it has 6g a serving. If you can throw some of these kinds of things in your diet...and, eat some lean meat, it shouldn't be a problem. Read the back of labels. There are a lot of foods that have hidden protein. I didn't realize that until I started looking closer.
Closed Thread