3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Support Forum > Weight Loss Support

Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Coping with weight loss comments from others

Old 02-03-2013, 03:03 PM   #16

S/C/G: 260/155/155

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotaruchan View Post
Unfortunately, I also work in elementary schools, surrounded by hundreds of small children, and subtlety comes with age. I worked my butt off over summer break, and when I came back, the kids immediately noticed. It was...uh...interesting standing in front of a class while 8 year olds screamed in Japanese that I'd gotten so much thinner...then one little girl piped up that her grandmother says that people get thin when they're sick...so a few kids jumped a rail and decided that I was dying. Eventually I managed to rein them in with "It's because I don't know good Japanese food...What food do you like?" to get them discussing food that they like in English.

...so I guess the moral of my long-winded story was that changing the subject is best. Distracting your conversation partner with a question seems to help.
Awww, kids, they are so sweet! And it sounds like they weren't making derogatory comments at all but working things out out loud, bless you for your thoughtful mind in how you handled it and congratulations on YOUR weight loss

i'm going to have to figure out HOW to change the conversation when women say to me "don't lose any more" because what that one does is immediately magnify my own insecurities in how my face is looking, keep in mind i'm also dealing with aging and everything that comes with that (yes, what vanity!) so i guess that one touches a nerve when with some people it would be a huge compliment on their weight loss. However that is my issue to work out and i'm trying to do some reverse psychology on myself and convince myself i look beautiful regardless of how slender my face has become and that i'm not 20 anymore--so i will have to come up with a comment that changes the direction of the conversation. Maybe just say thanks and then bring up another subject? One thing i will NOT do anymore is probe the subject or feel i need to explain which i have done in the past.

Yesterday i received a HUGE compliment in one of the grocery stores i frequent. i was wearing my leather jacket (one of my rewards!) and the checker immediately burst out (to my utter embarrassement!) how beautiful i look, that i look like a model, etc. i was so flustered all i could do was mutter a thanks and a sheepish smile and then later try to slowly digest that compliment even though it still embarrasses me now.

I'll work this out somehow and i know it's a reflection of what i'm going through with my own issues and it is a lesson learned for me to think very carefully before i comment on someone else!
ReillyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice
and no guarantee is made against accuracy.