Oh curses to you cake batter! Why do I always succumb to it?

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • I don't make specialty cakes often, but I do once in awhile. Good thing it's once in awhile as I simply cannot stay out of it! I had extra batter for the 11x15 cake I was making last night. Instead of tossing it, what did I do? I ate it of course! That was about two good cupcakes worth of it. Maybe three? EEK!

Then, I got into the frosting a bit. Man, I just undid about 3 days of work right there with those nibbles.

I'm pathetic! I am proud of myself though for what I did this morning. This morning I tossed out all the remaining homemade chocolate icing. Woohoo! And I think from now on when/if I make a cake, I need to do it in the MORNING when I'm fresh. A sleepy Melissa makes worse decisions. That is for sure! I was up until 1:30 making this cake (started at 10:30).

Well, let me at least show you the cake while I bemoan the calories I consumed. It was for a friend's retirement from the CIA.

• Pretty! I suggest chewing gum while you bake. You wouldn't want to nibble on batter with gum in your mouth.
  • Cake is my weakness too so I can see how it happened. 2- 3 homemade cupcakes isn't that bad, better than commercial ones!

But can I say----what a gorgeous cake!!! I honestly thought it was from a bakery (I looked at the pic before reading the thread)! You have such skill and patience!!

I wish you were my friend so you could make me a gorgeous cake. Wait...maybe I don't! I'll bet it tastes even better than it looks! You are a nice friend.
  • Mmmmm.....cake batter! Yummo! I'm a batter lover myself! And home made chocolate icing? Oh yes...I just gained 10 pounds THINKING about it! LOL!!

That cake is fantastic! So pretty!

The gum idea sounds like a winner. I sure wouldn't want to eat anything with gum in my mouth! Ugh!!

Thanks for sharing the pic, and yes! Bake in the morning...with gum!
  • Quote: Pretty! I suggest chewing gum while you bake. You wouldn't want to nibble on batter with gum in your mouth.

That might help for awhile, but I would take it out, grab the batter, and then go back to the gum or throw it out to get to the batter. But I will try it.

Good thing I don't have another cake for a LONG time and that I didn't ever going into this as a business. My nerves couldn't take it (as I'm always so nervous it won't turn out) and my waistline really couldn't take it.
  • Quote: Mmmmm.....cake batter! Yummo! I'm a batter lover myself! And home made chocolate icing? Oh yes...I just gained 10 pounds THINKING about it! LOL!!

That cake is fantastic! So pretty!

The gum idea sounds like a winner. I sure wouldn't want to eat anything with gum in my mouth! Ugh!!

Thanks for sharing the pic, and yes! Bake in the morning...with gum!
    I'll try the gum trick, but I think better would be to move baking time to mornings when I am rested! (And not to do it often!)
  • Quote: Cake is my weakness too so I can see how it happened. 2- 3 homemade cupcakes isn't that bad, better than commercial ones!

But can I say----what a gorgeous cake!!! I honestly thought it was from a bakery (I looked at the pic before reading the thread)! You have such skill and patience!!

I wish you were my friend so you could make me a gorgeous cake. Wait...maybe I don't! I'll bet it tastes even better than it looks! You are a nice friend.
    Ah, thank you. This was actually a charity auction item. our organization always does a silent auction and I always offer up a cake or two. So, he was one of the winning bidders. So, he got a special cake. I got to do something nice for a friend, and the money/profits went to a charitable cause. Win-win-win. The only lose was that I can't control myself with batters and doughs! A baked cake is no problem!
  • Well, they say you really shouldn't injest raw batter since there's a risk of salmonella from the raw eggs and Ecoli. I know that probably won't stop most people since we've been eating raw cake batter since the beginning of time but it's something to think about.
  • Quote: Well, they say you really shouldn't injest raw batter since there's a risk of salmonella from the raw eggs and Ecoli. I know that probably won't stop most people since we've been eating raw cake batter since the beginning of time but it's something to think about.
    Who's "they"?
  • The FDA:

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...41524429,d.aWM
  • Melissa, I just looked at your cake again on my laptop (I was on my phone earlier when I replied).

Did you seriously draw and write all of the decor on that cake?!?!
  • Quote: The FDA:

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...41524429,d.aWM
    Cheers. I like sources to back up claims.
    For me the rate of contamination of salmonella in eggs and E. Coli in flour is a low enough percentage that I am less bothered by consuming raw dough/batter than by driving my car.

On topic though, I chew gum or snack on salty popcorn so my brain is in "savoury, salt" mode rather than "gorge on delicious sugar/salmonella/e. coli" mode.
  • Quote: Cheers. I like sources to back up claims.
    For me the rate of contamination of salmonella in eggs and E. Coli in flour is a low enough percentage that I am less bothered by consuming raw dough/batter than by driving my car.

On topic though, I chew gum or snack on salty popcorn so my brain is in "savoury, salt" mode rather than "gorge on delicious sugar/salmonella/e. coli" mode.
    Well, it's not the flour, it's the eggs. But yes... I know of the risk. My brain doesn't care. Maybe if I actually GOT poisoned, I would.
  • Quote: Melissa, I just looked at your cake again on my laptop (I was on my phone earlier when I replied).

Did you seriously draw and write all of the decor on that cake?!?!
    Yes, but not free-hand.
  • Quote: Yes, but not free-hand.
    I would have been drinking alcohol lol trying to do that (free-hand or not), not eating cupcakes! That cake looks amazing big on my monitor, I thought it looked great on my phone screen. You surely are talented!