Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-29-2013, 05:09 PM   #16  
Designing my new physique

S/C/G: 316

Height: 5'7.5

What an awesome cake!! I would be weak w/ the finish product, it looks positively decadent. I doubt your batter was bad enough for trouble but you're entitled, you slaved in the kitchen.
avalonmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 05:18 PM   #17  
Foodie For Life

S/C/G: 192/ticker/140

Height: 5'6"

Beautiful cake! I'm an aspiring cake/cupcake artist and batter is my weakness as well. I couldn't care less about the final product... Especially cookie dough! I would think the only way you could truly over do it on the raw egg is if you ate the whole batch. Although... I could probably do that too with no regrets!
NolaMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 05:38 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 350/296/125

Height: 177cm

Quote:
Originally Posted by berryblondeboys View Post
Well, it's not the flour, it's the eggs. But yes... I know of the risk. My brain doesn't care. Maybe if I actually GOT poisoned, I would.

This is the e. coli/flour thing I was referring to:
http://cid.oxfordjournals.org/conten.../08/cid.cir831

I *have* gotten food poisoning from undercooked eggs and I still don't concern myself with raw dough! Slightly foolish but I live for danger! :P

I like to bake and cake decorate as well but since starting this healthy eating/reduced calorie thing, I have almost stopped completely. When I do have to do a cake I will plan for it like I would a regular treat. I would eat less calories knowing in the evening I would probably indulge in some bowl/spoon licking!
Skellig19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:14 PM   #19  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

Salmonellosis is extremely rare in a healthy individual. Even I you 'got sick' it would likely be minor, hence why I'm comfortable eating raw eggs in food and shakes even when pregnant (le gasp!).

The cake turned out beautifully, I'm sorry it proved to be a stumbling block for you. I can make baking for the kids/hubby without eating it, but that took several YEARS to build up to! It is still a bit of a willpower struggle, even when the final baked product doesn't tempt me the batter always does!
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:23 PM   #20  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

I went and bought some gum today. I can't even recall the last time I bought gum! Of course, I got sugar free. Let's see if it helps in the future. Right now i'm making yeasted bread. THAT at least I can't eat the batter!
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:27 PM   #21  
I'm bringing sexy back!

S/C/G: 242/234.5/167

Height: 5'5"

wow, you are talented! that cake is very impressive!!!!!
Mozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 09:40 PM   #22  
Jillian stole my abs!

S/C/G: 195.8/138/140

Beautiful cake!

I hadn't thought about cake batter in forever. I don't bake, I don't need it, and the hub will eat one piece and then it sits there calling to me.

But, I remember when I was a kid, every so often, my Dad would mix up a box of cake batter, drag out the ice cream and we would feast! What we didn't eat, Mom made cupcakes out of.

And all these years, I thought we were the only family that thought cake batter was a dessert! This is the first time I've ever admitted that cake batter and ice cream was sometimes supper in the summer! *rolls eyes*
shcirerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 09:57 PM   #23  
Melissa

Quote:
Originally Posted by shcirerf View Post
Beautiful cake!

I hadn't thought about cake batter in forever. I don't bake, I don't need it, and the hub will eat one piece and then it sits there calling to me.

But, I remember when I was a kid, every so often, my Dad would mix up a box of cake batter, drag out the ice cream and we would feast! What we didn't eat, Mom made cupcakes out of.

And all these years, I thought we were the only family that thought cake batter was a dessert! This is the first time I've ever admitted that cake batter and ice cream was sometimes supper in the summer! *rolls eyes*
I can't imagine those two things together, but either one of them separately? YUM!!!

Funny thing is, I'm not a big (American) cake fan. European cakes are a whole 'nother story, but the batter from cake? O.M.G... so dangerous for me to have around.

I don't think I have another cake until April (though I might have a friend who might get one before then). So, I should be in the clear for awhile. Now just how do I keep out of the cookie dough that I'll be making tomorrow! Oh, that's right - gum! I have GUM IN DA HOUSE!
Old 01-29-2013, 10:49 PM   #24  
Jillian stole my abs!

S/C/G: 195.8/138/140

You had to mention cookie dough! LOL. Another of my Dad's faves!

Dad, God rest his soul, we lost him in 1977 in a farm accident, also loved cookie dough, and was known to mix up chocolate chip cookie dough and drag out the ice cream!

Ironically, given the farm/cattle working lifestyle, he was never over weight, and these food/sugar festivals, were only a few times a year, some good memories, and things I hadn't thought of in a long time!
shcirerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 06:27 AM   #25  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

I most certainly can relate! I have to do a lot of baking for church sales, meetings, etc. and have licked the problem. (Sorry - bad phrase!) I always clean my teeth first, pour a large glass of water and then put on surgical gloves. There is no way I'll lick a surgical glove! It works like a charm.
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:16 AM   #26  
Melissa

Quote:
Originally Posted by shcirerf View Post
You had to mention cookie dough! LOL. Another of my Dad's faves!

Dad, God rest his soul, we lost him in 1977 in a farm accident, also loved cookie dough, and was known to mix up chocolate chip cookie dough and drag out the ice cream!

Ironically, given the farm/cattle working lifestyle, he was never over weight, and these food/sugar festivals, were only a few times a year, some good memories, and things I hadn't thought of in a long time!
I'm sorry you lost your dad in a terrible farming accident. It's such a dangerous profession (I'm originally from Iowa, so I know a bit about the farming world).

But your mention of his diet reminded me of an interesting NPR story I heard about a year ago. It talked about how our nutritional and caloric needs changed as our careers changed.

Farmers or people who worked the land would need enormous amounts of calories during harvest season especially - something like 4000 a day (or more). They were healthy people, but ates tons and tons of fat (butter/lard) to ingest enough calories to sustain their work. As our careers changed, our caloric needs changed.

Maybe I need to find a physically demanding job so I can eat more freely!
Old 01-30-2013, 10:27 AM   #27  

S/C/G: 396/351/160

Height: 5'7"

First, gorgeous cake. I used to do a lot of specialty cakes and now just do them for family events. I'm like you -- if there's extra batter and/or icing, it seems like it's a direct path for me to eat the "leftovers." The funny thing is that I'm able to resist eating the cake itself, but will eat 3-4 pieces worth of cake and icing while I'm making it. I think I'll try the gum trick that was mentioned when I make the bunny cake for Easter.
betsy2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:34 AM   #28  
Finally in control.

S/C/G: 294/236/199

Height: 5'4"

At least it was just 2-3 cupcakes worth and not the entire thing of batter. Which I'm ashamed to admit that I've done before.
ChickieBoom is offline   Reply With Quote