Frustrated with self - too early in process!

• Tomorrow is my weigh in day, and I am so worried its going to be no change, if not up. I am doing ww momentum at home, and have only been doing it for 2 weeks. Week 1 was really good until I went to my parents house the night before my first weigh in and ate too much roast. I still lost 1.2, which was good, but not what I was hoping for during the first week. I knew it would have been more if I didn't eat as much the day before.

This week, again great start - days 1-4 were on point (pun intended). But the last 2 nights I've done so much night snacking, after really good days. I weighed in this morning and I'm at 217, which is basically my starting week. I've been having some stress with my guy over careers/money the last few days, and this week was my TOM.

But i just can't tell you how worried I am that I will get on the scale tomorrow and see no improvement. I am going to really focus on sticking to my points today and not eating later at night, but am not sure one day of good behavior can make up for 2 bad days.

I know i just need to keep moving forward and not focus in what the scale says tomorrow, but we all know how the scale can motivate or deflate, especially so early. It's too soon to fail!!!
  • Ready2Lose2013,

First of all, congrats on making the decision to lead a healthier lifestyle! That in itself is a triumph. Don't forget to congratulate yourself on that.

Second - Losing weight, and keeping it off for life, is hard. It takes a long time. It requires a total shift in your mentality and your way of living. Two weeks is too early to tell much of anything. During your journey, you will experience many highs and lows... you will most likely hit plateaus. I personally had a plateau that lasted over a month, even though I had been eating right and exercising. Having the ability to keep your eye on the big picture, and not beat yourself up too badly, is the only way to get through such weight loss challenges. Celebrate your triumphs, and if you slip up, don't throw away all of the good things you have done... just work out solutions that will prevent you from slipping up like that again, and then move on and forgive yourself. We are all human, no one is perfect.

Third - If it's your TOM, the scale is going to be up. It's just part of life. The scale can be up almost 5 lbs for me 3-4 before my TOM and up through about day 4 of TOM. I just accept this as part of my body's cycle. Actually, if you stick with weighing yourself often, long enough, you will be able to predict water fluctuations with pretty good accuracy, and you will come to realize that the weight WILL come off again as soon as TOM is over.

Fourth - It sounds like you are stress eating. My suggestion is that you try to find something else to do when you get those late-night snack attacks. Try drinking a cup of herbal tea - the fluid will fill you up, and the warmth will help to calm your nerves. Also, distracting yourself by doing something else you enjoy can help. I have always been a stress-eater (and a happy eater, and an angry eater, etc.) but I have found that doing something to take my mind off of my stress is just as effective at making me feel better as a chocolate chip cookie would be.

Enjoy the journey. Be patient with yourself! And take it one day at a time.
  • Hang in there! It is frustrating!! It took me right at 2 weeks to get over some of the intense cravings I had for foods/snacks I love! What worked for me to curb my eating was to down a 16 ounce glass of water before every meal to fill me up so I wouldn't feel the need to over eat.

Try using a small plate instead of a dinner plate to make you feel like you are eating more when you are eating less.

At night, when I had the urge to snack, I'd fill a glass with water, add some lemon or cucumber slices, and drink up!

I know you weren't asking for advice, but I just wanted to offer what I have been doing. I've only been doing this (this time) since 1 January. I can't tell you how many times over the years I have been frustrated, binged, over ate, or snacked my way out of my weight loss.

As far as possibly stress eating, I agree with distracting yourself! Instead of reaching for the comfort calories, lace up some sneaks and get out and walk! I have been doing this, and found that I can walk farther and faster when I'm stressed! Hahaha! By the time I'm done (even if it is only 10 minutes) I'm much calmer and have the added bonus of knowing I did something physical!

One of the great things is, you came here and "owned up" to what happened! Good for you! Accountability is the best way to initiate change!!!

Congrats on embarking on this journey, and for finding this forum! This is an amazingly helpful and supportive group!

Today is a new day, and TODAY I have faith that you will rock your new diet!!
  • I can relate to you a million times over. I had started over and over countless times. Look forward to seeing your journey.
  • Relax - it is still very early in your journey. You're still getting the hang of things and probably aren't used to the changes. As far as for hoping for more the first week, not everyone loses 5+ pounds right away. It's normal to lose smaller amounts too.

I don't know if you do, but I weigh in daily to A) keep myself accountable and B) get to know my body and my body's daily fluctuations. I track my weight from week to week though, not day to day.

And you're right, although you know better than to focus on what the scale says, it's hard for it to not have an impact of some sort on you. {{hugs}}

Just stay on plan and keep posting!
  • Thanks, everyone - I appreciate it. My day today was pretty good and on track. Now, I just need to hang in there through bed time and the chips will fall where they may. Regardless of the scale outcome tomorrow, I am going to stick with it. I was just so reminded today that this is important to me, and its more important than any immediate food urge!

Really appreciate the support
  • You can do it, just believe in yourself, and everytime you get a craving just picture what you really want from your weightloss and how happy you will be when you get there. I wish you the best of luck, and believe in you. You are not in this alone...