3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Support Forum > Weight Loss Support

Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Fighting the Good Fight? Let's Talk About Lifetime Weight Management at Any Age

Old 01-30-2013, 05:49 PM   #61

Gail, thanks for the warm welcome. You are so right, it really does help if the family/husband is on the same page with you when it comes to losing weight.

We've also tried to diet about 5 times now. We've lost plenty of weight, but unfortunately maintaining it has been a problem. Well, my husband has an issue with his legs right now, so it's important to take off some weight and keep it off now! When it comes to our health, it's no longer a vanity thing this time. He wants to lose about 65lbs. I'm hoping to lose around 40lbs.

I'm glad to hear that you are enjoying fruit now! There is nothing wrong with that and it's so healthy. I love kiwi, berries, apples, peaches and just about every kind of fruit.

Yes trying to duplicate the BistroMD meals could be a problem. On our days off, we've either went out to eat, sticking with lean meat, veggie and salad, or I've made things like eggs and turkey sausage, and used lots of fish, chicken and lean meats with veggies.

We're in the process of medical tests for my hubby's legs, so hopefully, he can find out what is causing so much pain for him. He's very upbeat though! Anyway, I've been good today and stuck with my eating plan!
indymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:24 PM   #62
Happy Member

Good Evening, Everyone -

Hi, Indymama - Nice to have you chiming in. I think it is wonderful that you and your DH are both on the same program. Actually I've found that the losing of the weight was difficult enough, but keeping that lost weight off can be the real problem. Those lost lbs. just hang around, wanting to reattach themselves to me, and I don't want them back. Old habits die hard. Hopefully you and your DH will have as easier time of it than I have. And I hope that your DH's leg pain can be dealt with.

Gail - I'm glad you are enjoying fruit these days. You have mentioned purchasing pears so I know they are on your eating plan. I've always loved fruit, too much actually. As a diabetic I have to control my fruit intake because of the sugar content. So I eat carefully.

I've been working on putting together a brief history of our Ladies Auxiliary. In February we will celebrate our organization's 50th Birthday, which should be great fun. There are four of us who are Charter Members, and who are still active in the organization.

It continues to be cold here in Wyoming, and there is a possibility of more snow tonight. However the streets and highways are open, so we welcome the moisture.

Let's make Thursday another good day!

Breast Cancer Survivor
86 years old
JoJoJo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 03:04 AM   #63
Empress/Queen

Hello, Indymama! Your name reminds me of my previous place of residence many, many years ago.

Your stint with Bistro M.D. sounds very interesting and delicious. I'd love to do that someday.

Hope your DH's medical appointment goes well.

Gail, I'm not a big fruit eater but pears are among those I love to experiment with or just eat.

JoJo, sounds like a happy time is ahead with your Auxiliary celebrating the 50th Birthday. How great that is to have friends and/or acquaintainces who are in the same organization for a long time together.

I think friends sticking together, through thick and thin, is one of the rarest things in life and to be cherished.

I had a good, moderate eating day and got my 10,000 steps in so am going off to bed now.

Lol, nothing profound to say! Woot!
Amarantha2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 01:13 PM   #64

Good afternoon JoJo! We are sharing that cold weather with you! It was 63 degrees here on Monday, and yesterday it was in the lower 20's with a howling wind, and some blowing snow. I was hoping to walk our dog, but that wind would have taken my breath away!

I've never been to Wyoming, but I hope to visit there one day. We always hear that you can drive really fast on the highways out there. If that's true, maybe I should keep my husband away, he would probably love that!

Wow 50 years with your ladies auxiliary! I bet you've made some wonderful friends! I hope your event goes well.

Amarantha, hello to you! I really do enjoy the BistroMD. We sometimes lead a very hectic life, and having something available, so that we can just heat it up and get a well-balanced meal is great. This is a treat for us. I don't know how long we'll do this program, but it's been wonderful.

I'm a Indiana native. Did you live here at one time? If you can get used to the winters, it's a nice place to live and raise children.

My husband's doctors are slightly confused as to why my husband is having leg pain, but he is healthy otherwise. I think his inactivity from the leg issues, helped put on the extra pounds again.

Is anyone doing any exercise? I walk about 35 minutes every day. I'm starting slow because in previous diets, the exercise didn't make too much difference for me, until later on when I would hit a plateau. I try to stay active though.
Old 01-31-2013, 08:30 PM   #65
Empress/Queen

Hi, Indymom! Yes, I lived and had a career in Indy for 25 years, but I've been where I am now for almost two decades, so sometimes I don't even relate to the winters back there anymore.

I exercise daily, currently doing a 10,000 (plus) step program and I lift weights 2-3 times per week, much lighter than I used to, plus I do some light aerobics DVDs (like Leslie), plus some yoga.

Other years I've done the gym, zumba, heavier weights, pretty much everything.

I love to stay active, too, trying to avoid slowing down with age.

Thanks for info about Bistro M.D.

Good night, all!
Old 01-31-2013, 10:02 PM   #66
Happy Member

Good Evening -

Amarantha - Yes, we have a fun group at our church, and some of these people I have known for a long time. As for your exercise routine, I can't imagine you ever slowing down, no matter what age you are.

Indy - I am slowing down with age, and I'll admit it. I'm 86 now, and the years are catching up with me. I stay as active as I can, which is difficult in the winter months. My eyesight is failing, so I am no longer driving. I used to exercise regularly at Curves for Women, and thoroughly enjoyed it. But Curves is 7 miles away from me now. I like to walk, but right now it is too cold and windy for me to do my little walkabouts in the neighborhood. I stay as active as possible, and keep pushing myself. As for Wyoming, it is a sparsely populated state, the most sparsely populated in the US. So many tourists use the Interstate Highways through here as a racing track. Sometimes they get away with it, and sometimes they get caught. When they are caught, the fines help fill the state's treasury. So if you come, be careful. We do have Yellowstone, and the Grand Tetons, and Devil's Tower, and many other wonderful things to see. It is a great tourist destination.

I've been busy composing a history of our Ladies Auxiliary, and it is coming together very nicely. Digging through the old scrapbooks has been fun. The dress code has changed greatly through the past 50 years. LOL

Let's keep fighting that good fight.

Breast Cancer Survivor
86 years old
Old 02-01-2013, 10:47 AM   #67

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5'2"

Jo, future generations of the Ladies Auxiliary are going to love your history. This is the sort of work that genealogists like to find. Even if it isn't about their relative, it is about the time in which they lived and helps so much to round out the story.

After all my discussion about fruit, I talked myself into buying a flat of expensive strawberries from a street vendor. They were just terrible. I should have known better. They are nice looking and come from Oxnard, CA, where strawberries are a major crop, but they weren't ripe. We mashed them up and added sugar for shortcake or whatever. My benchmark for fruit is that it has to taste good as is - no sugar added. These berries definitely didn't meet my standards.

As of this morning, I have lost 45 lbs. I am almost speechless - LOL - never completely speechless here. Our emergency water containers weigh 45 lbs and I have some difficulty dragging those things around. How did I ever manage all that weight on my body? Onward to a 50 lb. loss...
Old 02-01-2013, 11:54 AM   #68
Empress/Queen

Congratulations, Gail. That is a fantastic loss. You are awesome!
Old 02-01-2013, 02:43 PM   #69

Amarantha, We live in northern Indiana, close to Michigan. We get to Indy a few times a year. It's changed so much from years ago. The downtown is really nice. Your exercise program sounds great! I own several Leslie Sansone tapes.

Gail, it sounds like you're doing great with your weight loss! I'm picky about my produce too. Last summer was SO dry around here that it was nearly impossible to get any good corn or tomatoes. I think we went 4 months without rain and we had temperatures in the 90's every day.

JoJo, my mother-in-law is 85 and she is doing weight watchers. She stays busy too, and like you, she doesn't enjoy night driving, especially in the winter. We're supporting each other in our healthy eating plans too.

I can imagine that it is tourists who drive too fast in Wyoming. It wouldn't be me, I am content to obey the speed limit!

This weekend may be challenging to eat well. We are going to our lake home and we've invited our son and his wife to be with us. They have both had stessful work weeks, so we thought we could entertain them a bit, and take them to dinner. I guess we should know by now that we need to be cautious with our choices in foods, but it's always a challenge.
Old 02-01-2013, 03:53 PM   #70

Thanks for the encouragement.

I thought I would cruise by and mention that it is 70* here today.
Old 02-02-2013, 10:24 AM   #71
Happy Member

Happy February:

Gail - Your knees are thanking you each day for the amount of weight you have lost.

Indy - Stay strong. Weekends are often the most difficult time to stay on plan.

Amarantha2 - Keep walking, it is so good for you.

And to everyone, my eyesight has worsened to the extent that it is very difficult for me to read posts here at 3fc and respond to them. Age-related macular degeneration, the dry kind, is what my problem is. There is no cure, and not much treatment available at the present time. Anyway it is too difficult for me to continue to contribute to this thread, so I am going to say "Goodbye" to you all. Keep on keeping on, and you'll reach your weight-loss goals. It's difficult, but it can be done. And enjoy life - life is good!!!

Breast Cancer Survivor
86 years old
Old 02-02-2013, 11:32 AM   #72
Empress/Queen

It makes me very sad to read your last post, JoJo. But you must do what is best for your well being.

Keep in touch. Be well.
Old 02-02-2013, 01:33 PM   #73

I never expected such sad news this morning. Jo, you have been an inspiration to me, and I will really miss your upbeat posts. Best wishes to you and your husband in "Wonderful Wyoming".
Old 02-02-2013, 04:20 PM   #74
Changing my lifestyle

Height: 6'3"

I still have a long ways to go on my diet, but I really feel that I have found the answer this time. I know this is different for everyone, but for me, it's learning how to cook for yourself and to find ways to prepare the foods you love in a healthy way.
brandonjohnston84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 08:03 PM   #75
Empress/Queen

Welcome BrandonJohnston84!

You know, as a person who loves to cook and is good at it but somehow is often too lazy to do it, I think you are right. I think it is an enormous help in a weight loss journey to cook for yourself and find healthy ways to prepare the foods you love.

Hope everyone has a great rest of the weekend.

I DO intend to cook for the week tomorrow. That helps so much.
Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice
and no guarantee is made against accuracy.