Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-14-2013, 08:27 AM   #1  
Hi, I'm Lauren! :)

S/C/G: SW:209 / CW:184/ GW:~160

Height: 5'4

Default A big giant WTF moment.

After steadily weighing in at either 160 or 161 since new year's, I have been granted a whoosh! However, it is in the OPPOSITE direction. Somehow, someway, my scale read 165 this morning. And let me tell you, this does not compute. If ANYTHING, I've been in more of a deficit than normal because I actually worked out like 4 times this past week, and I was on plan every day except for yesterday (which was an awkward day, we had inventory at work and my calories got thrown off so I just made it a maintenance kind of day.)

I KNOW I haven't eaten enough to gain 5 pounds. I KNOW I haven't done anything for a 5 pound gain! In fact, this past Thursday I still was sitting pretty at 160. The only thing I can think of is that my period's about to start, but still, my weight never shoots up like this the day of/before my period.

WHAT GIVES???? I was so hoping and looking forward to seeing 159 this morning and that just really ruined my morning. I hate you, body. I really do.
mimsyborogoves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:51 AM   #2  

Height: 5' 11"

Hey Mimsy -

We all have these moments, and I totally understand your frustration; you've IDed some good potential causes, and like others have said on here sometimes exercise around your period can cause water retention - you might also want to check your salt intake.

I know you're just venting, but I have to say be gentle with yourself and don't talk to yourself that way! Hate is such a strong word, and I know it sounds silly but negative self-talk, even when it seems sarcastic or just venting, is a huge enemy to not only weight loss success but also body image and overall happiness. You know who's listening when you say "I hate you body," - you are!

It's amazing how we are so willing to talk to ourselves in a way we wouldn't tolerate someone else talking to us. Would you put up with someone close to you saying, "You know, Mimsy, I hate your body, I really do." Heck no! You'd slap them (I hope), or be so angry and pissed about it you'd probably not want to speak with them for a while. So why say it to yourself?!

I know you are feeling really irritated and disappointed right now, but I really encourage you to reframe your ire toward your body. I know this sounds weird, but try "Body, this is something I want and I know we can work together to achieve it; I am grateful for all the wonderful things you allow me to do and your overall health and functionality."

I am confident that after your period you will see a drop and get over the 160 hump. there are so many factors that can cause our weight to fluctuate by 5-10 pounds on any given day!

Hang in there, you are such a rock star with 81 Ibs (not) under your belt!!
Ready2Lose2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:58 AM   #3  
Dukanista

S/C/G: high263/current257/ticker/198

Height: 5'7"

Such a great post from Ready2Lose!

And you know what, maybe you never gained a lot of PMS weight before, but perhaps your new 160 lb body DOES gain more weight because it's more sensitive to the hormone fluctuations. Or perhaps you had a little more salt than usual and again, your body reacts differently now.

The bottom line is that you KNOW you didn't eat 16,000+ excess calories, so you know that this has to be a temporary thing for whatever reasons. Just hang in there, and you are going to get back to where you want to be.
April Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:05 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 131/sig/110

Don't worry, it'll get back down to normal. Gaining 5lbs in a day sounds like it's probably just water weight. You'll get there. Keep calm and carry on.
Lemongrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:08 AM   #5  
Stephanie

S/C/G: 236/135-140/More Fit

Height: 5'6"

You know as well as I do that it's water weight. CALM DOWN woman!
LockItUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 11:05 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 198/182/150

Height: 5'8

Hi! Just want to say how seriously impressive you are...
The 5lbs thing is of course incredibly annoying....BUT the truth will out and it will fall away in the next 48hours ....you'll see.
curleycarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 11:17 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 396/351/160

Height: 5'7"

I think we've all about decided it's water weight. But think of how great it will feel to get on the scale when it comes off and see a big bump DOWN. I KNOW it's water weight, but I tell myself it's fat loss. Of course, in my mind I'm still in my late 20s as opposed to my early 60s!
betsy2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 12:09 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Remember that you want to focus on FAT but the scale weighs ALL of you. It's very frustrating to see the scale go up "for no reason" but really there IS reason -- it's just that the reason is about WATER and not FAT.

So keep on keepin' on and weigh next week and see what happens! Don't let the scale ruin you!
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 04:34 PM   #9  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

Patience! If you're heavily restricting calories and working out, that alone could cause water retention. Add in hormones, possible sleep issues, inflammation from illness, moon cycles, whatever, and any fluctuation on the scale when your intake is controlled is to be otherwise disregarded. Give it time, it will even out.
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 04:55 PM   #10  
Starting over sucks.

S/C/G: 485/445/250

Height: 6'1

I'll trade you. My last woosh was a 14 pound gain!

Drink some green tea if you like it. It's a great diuretic.
Radiojane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 05:27 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 145 / 102 / ?

Height: 5'

Sounds like a combination of time of month, and you're just weighing the food in your stomach, if you ate a little more than usual. But you are getting SO close to goal!! GO YOU!!! You're doing AMAZING!!!
HungryHungryHippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 05:42 PM   #12  

Lol thanks guys. After I calmed down I knew it was water weight, but definitely when I'm so close to goal, any kind of setback is like "NOOOO!"
Old 01-14-2013, 05:46 PM   #13  
babybat

Height: 5'7

glad it was only water weight!
Babybat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 06:11 PM   #14  

S/C/G: See Ticker

Height: 5'3.5''

This week I suddenly went down 7 lbs. I was being very good, but nobody is THAT GOOD. I'm sure it was mostly water/bloat.
I know it is frustrating, but you are doing all the right things and it is working,
no matter what the number on the scale says.
marigrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:25 PM   #15  

*whines* its not going awaaaaaaaaayyyyyy *whiney whine whine*

But, my new size 10 pants all fit perfectly, so I haven't gained inches or anything! I'm ready for this week to be over. Over over over!