3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Support Forum > Weight Loss Support

Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

A pound of muscle, a pound of fat!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2013, 01:17 AM   #1
Jillian stole my abs!
 
shcirerf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Go Huskers!
Posts: 2,497

S/C/G: 195.8/138/140

Height: 5'5"

Default A pound of muscle, a pound of fat!

A pound is a pound, be it fat, muscle, feathers, dog food, uncooked rice, horse oats, goose down, hay, kitty kibble, lettuce, quilt stuffing, what ever.

Muscle does not weigh more than fat, it's just more dense and takes up less space!

A pound of goose feathers weighs a pound, a pound of ball bearings weighs a pound, which takes up less space?

The concept that muscle weighs more than fat annoys me to no end!
__________________

3+ year maintainer.
The human body is capable of amazing things! But without the mind, it is nothing. Get your mind in gear and the body will follow!

Be selfish about caring for yourself, you deserve it!
Weight Watcher leader! But always a Member first!
shcirerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 01:46 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Lemongrab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 191

S/C/G: 131/sig/110

Default

Yea I know what you mean... 2 people can have the same weight but still look different like how if one is xxxlbs but mostly fat they will still look slightly bigger than xxxlbs of mostly muscle.
__________________

I <3 CM Punk!
129 128 127 126 125 124 123 122 121 120
119 118 117 116 115 114 113 112 111 110
Lemongrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 01:46 AM   #3
Member
 
tiawyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 66

S/C/G: 170/150/100

Height: 4'11"

Default

I think that people get confused because people visualize that if muscle and fat were the same size, like a cubic inch of each, then muscle would weigh more. So even though that they only lost a few inches, but never lost a single pound, then the attribute the reduced space of fat to muscle.
tiawyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 02:12 AM   #4
Moderating Mama
 
mandalinn82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Woodland, CA
Posts: 11,936

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Default

I've always thought the "per unit volume" was implied.
__________________
Goal Met - 10/28/07 - My Progress Picture Collage - My Goal Story - Where Have I Been?

No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everyone on the couch!

Maintained Oct 2007-Sept 2011, then got pregnant. Our baby boy was born in May, 2012...now to lose the baby weight!!
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:57 AM   #5
Stephanie
 
LockItUp's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 3,221

S/C/G: 236/135-140/More Fit

Height: 5'6"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandalinn82 View Post
I've always thought the "per unit volume" was implied.
I agree. While the actual statement "muscle weighs more than fat" is technically inaccurate, I believe *most* people actually mean a pound of muscle takes up less space.
__________________
Stephanie
LockItUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:01 AM   #6
Just Me
 
nelie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Maryland
Posts: 15,178

S/C/G: 364/202/182

Height: 5'6"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockItUp View Post
I agree. While the actual statement "muscle weighs more than fat" is technically inaccurate, I believe *most* people actually mean a pound of muscle takes up less space.
Yup, a jar of muscle will weigh more than the same jar of fat. So in that instance, muscle weighs more than fat.
__________________
You can't out-exercise poor eating habits.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:14 AM   #7
Empress/Queen
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Posts: 6,274

Default

I agree with the per unit volume being implied. I think everyone understands it just fine. "Muscle weighs more than fat" is just a common way of expressing it.

Last edited by Amarantha2 : 01-14-2013 at 08:15 AM.
Amarantha2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:46 AM   #8
Dukanista
 
April Snow's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Denver
Posts: 2,547

S/C/G: high263/current257/ticker/198

Height: 5'7"

Default

I would like to believe that people mean per unit volume. But to be honest, there is so much misinformation out there, that I am not really sure. A lot of people also think that women can gain enough muscle mass to make the scale go up quickly because they are working out or that they gain weight being in "starvation mode" if they cut calories or that you automatically lose weight on a vegetarian diet or any number of other fallacies.
__________________
Restart 1/6/13 - GOAL (for now) back to prior low

HAPPY SPRING & APRIL FOOLS CHALLENGE
April Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:35 AM   #9
Irish dance addict
 
atmos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 373

S/C/G: 145/145/125

Height: 5' 3"

Default

To be fair, if you say muscle and fat weigh the same, you are implying a "per unit weight" to that statement.

I do vote you start saying "muscle is more dense than fat" and spread around the proper unit of measure, since density is mass/volume. Then the "per unit volume" is no longer implied.

We could also go a step further and say the concept of weight itself is annoying, because weight=mass*acceleration of gravity. Thus, you have the same mass no matter where you are, but if you'd like to lose weight, then just get as far from the center of the Earth as possible.

I'd love a scale that measured me in Newtons.
__________________
Anail a Ghidheil, air a mhullach

Goals:
Get to 130s
Advance all dances out of beginner level
Complete C25K
Complete first phase of NROLFW
atmos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:36 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
sacha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 2,638

S/C/G: 163/128/125

Height: 5'5

Default

I've been weight training for almost 10 years now and I'm beyond the point of annoyance, simply giggle at the misconceptions out there. Which is a shame because I think a lot of women would love their physique after proper training but most are too scared to do so because they believe all those myths.
__________________

Maintainer 2004-2009/3 Pregnancies/Maintainer 2013 - Present

sacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:37 AM   #11
Stephanie
 
LockItUp's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 3,221

S/C/G: 236/135-140/More Fit

Height: 5'6"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by atmos View Post

We could also go a step further and say the concept of weight itself is annoying, because weight=mass*acceleration of gravity. Thus, you have the same mass no matter where you are, but if you'd like to lose weight, then just get as far from the center of the Earth as possible.

I'd love a scale that measured me in Newtons.
__________________
Stephanie
LockItUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 12:19 PM   #12
Stephanie
 
LockItUp's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 3,221

S/C/G: 236/135-140/More Fit

Height: 5'6"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by April Snow View Post
. . .A lot of people also think that women can gain enough muscle mass to make the scale go up quickly because they are working out or that they gain weight being in "starvation mode" if they cut calories or that you automatically lose weight on a vegetarian diet or any number of other fallacies.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegeneralpublic View Post

That being said, people tried to make me feel better by saying muscle weighs more than fat. I wanted to slap them!
Ha! Ya those are whole other issues I suppose. I think for the most part people are well meaning in their "it must be muscle" and "remember muscle weighs more than fat" comments; though I've found typically in the context those phrases are thrown out, they are usually (if not always) inaccurate. It's kind of like the go to "Everything happens for a reason" and "it'll all work out for the best" that people say whenever anything bad happens in your life. "They" just want you to feel better, even if it's a lie LOL.
__________________
Stephanie
LockItUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice
and no guarantee is made against accuracy.


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
"Muscle weighs more than fat" << is that just an excuse?? GotothegymOKAY Weight Loss Support 11 08-16-2012 12:01 PM
Slow Dancing With A Stranger {10} "A Month of Challenges" K9Owner Support Groups 292 05-01-2012 09:02 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:29 PM.






Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.3.2