Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-13-2013, 02:58 PM   #16  
Pending Email Confirmation

S/C/G: 247/161/132

Height: 5'6"

You gotta think long term not short term. One week might have no weight loss another might have 3 lbs weight loss. How long have you been at this? Cause if its week 2 or 3, well, this is reality. If this is happening for say 3 or 4 weeks then your at a plateau and need to switch things up.
Long term not short term if you can think where youll be in 6 months if you keep at it youll be happier. If you lose 1 lb a week for 6 months thats 25ish lbs. Would you be happier in 6 months 25 lbs down or at the weight your at now or more? Patience and long term that gets the job done.

Last edited by misspixie; 01-13-2013 at 03:00 PM.
misspixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 03:53 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 229/see ticker/135

Height: 62 inches

Just got another 21 minutes of walking in because I would really be angry with myself tomorrow if I didn't get it in today.

Positives:
1 I am drinking at least 64 ounces of water a day.
2. I am getting at least 30 minutes of exercise a day.
3. I no longer crave soda.

I am going to try and only weigh on Fridays.
RavenWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 03:59 PM   #18  

This is week 2 for me. And I am really struggling. I need to lose 60 by July, 40 at the least but it doesn't look like I will get remotely close.

I was hoping to lose 10 this month which would have been encouraging. Not hitting 10 pounds this month is going to kill my resolve.

I have tried many times over ths years to lose weight, implementing small changes that supposedly would add up to something but never did. My sister and friends do the same and start dropping weight. It is so discouraging.

Old 01-13-2013, 04:28 PM   #19  
drifting downward!

S/C/G: (HW 194) 175/168/140

Height: 5'5 1/2"

Can I ask what is happening in July that you "need" to lose 60 lbs?

If you can, let go of the time goals - X lbs this month, X lbs by such-and-such date. In my experience, they don't help -- they don't do a single thing to help you lose the weight, and more often, it feels oppressing instead of motivating. Like you're constantly failing because your body refuses to conform with self-imposed, arbitrary numbers.

Letting go of the time-based goals was wonderful for me this past year. It's true what they say -- the time is going to pass anyway. Keep plugging away, and if you're eating at a calorie deficit, you will most definitely be lighter in July.
Desiderata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 04:32 PM   #20  
Pending Email Confirmation

S/C/G: 247/161/132

Week 2...dont sweat it. Easier said than done. It really is consistent effort over a long period of time keep the long term goal in mind.
Let me ask you this -- say you give a hundred percent effort and on July 1st your down 30lbs. Would you rather have not done anything and stayed where you are now or be down 30lbs? Ill bet youd take the 30lbs. Keep that in mind and get off the scales scales are for fish. Put in the work and the rest will take care of itself maybe not on your schedule but itll happen. I can garantee you that if you quit NOTHING will happen and youll be in July right where you are today.
misspixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 04:48 PM   #21  
Warrior Princess

Raven, 3 pounds is a lot of weight to lose considering I lose on average .5 and sometimes nothing in a month, but I'm close to goal. It WILL come off as you continue to count calories and exercise more. Be patient this takes time.
novangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 04:58 PM   #22  

S/C/G: 153/140/120

Height: 5.4

everyone is right, your simply stuck and frustrated. Shake it up and try some different things. I find it easy the first 2 weeks to drop a quick 6-8 lbs, and then I get stuck for at least 2 weeks and just try change something..maybe get some resistance bands or small hand weights to add to your walking? I even try changing my calories up go low for a couple days and then have a higher calorie day and then drop back to an average? We all have different weight to lose and we all lose at different rates. You haven't majorly blown anything and .8 lbs is nothing I agree with the soreness and retaining water. Hang in there, your doing great that darn scale is making you doubt yourself...Don't let it..your in control...not that scale. You can do this, good for you getting back up and finishing.
suzyslimdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:11 PM   #23  
MaryGee

It doesn't seem like you're eating enough and you may be in what I think is called "starvation mode" and it's actually slowing your weight loss.

How many calories are you allowing yourself? Go to "The-Calorie-Counter" or "Lose It" and the site will show you how to compute how many calories you should have each day. On those sites they have a place to keep track of what you are eating and also look up the calorie content of the food you are eating.

I would have something like this each day:

Breakfast:
I have an egg wrap=I small flour tortilla with one egg (or egg-beater) with mushrooms or peppers/onions; fruit and a cup of tea or coffee.
-- or have 2 slices light toast with peanut butter; fruit and tea or coffee.
Lunch:
Make a big salad if you can with lots of veggies and then add tuna or chicken, with fat-free or lite dressing; small pita bread.
-- or make a sandwich on pita with tuna or chicken, with lettuce and tomato.
Dinner:
Protein (meat or fish) with a sweet potato or pasta or rice with chicken flavoring and veggies. (I enjoy Green Giant broccoli and cheese or cauliflower and cheese, both are low fat; or cook up some zuccinni; or peppers/onions. ----For lunch and dinner start off with some warm broth to help fill you up.
Snacks:
I make a smoothie or sugar-free pudding or light yogurt with cool whip.
I have a piece of fruit.
I make light pop-corn.
Continue to drink lots of water.

Don't let yourself get hungry and try to vary your meals. I try to stay away from the scale. Believe it or not, I gave up on "dieting" last year and just started eating "normal portions" of "normal food" and not weighing myself and I lost 50 pounds without realizing it. Someone mentioned I looked like I was losing weight and I said no, I'm not dieting - but next time I went to the doctor I actually got onto the scale and it showed a 50 pound loss in aroung 8 months. I was shocked!! But I have a LOT to lose and it took a long time before the loss actually started to show.

So DON'T GIVE UP. I started reading the "Intuitive Eating" thread. If you think DIET you think "struggle" -- just try to make better choices and limit the portion sizes.

Good Luck and stick to it.

Mary
forreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:38 PM   #24  
Vex
There is no try.

S/C/G: 281/T/140

Default re:

If you give up, how much weight will you lose? Zero. You'll probably, if you're like most people, keep gaining.

A year from now, would you like to have lost weight or gained it? If you give up, guess what that answer will be.

How about 5 years from now? Chances are, if you don't give up, you'll probably be at your goal weight, otherwise who knows how much you'll weigh?

I'm not sure how old you are, but don't be like me and continually give up until you're 41 before you decide to finally do it.

Losing nothing during a week despite being on plan happens, so does gaining. The key is just to keep going, no matter what you see on the scale. It's the OVERALL loss that's important.
Vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:48 PM   #25  

Raven: Keep up the good work---you're doing the right things, the numbers on the scale will go down eventually. Try not to let it bother you, you're ultimate goal is to look and feel better--it'll happen.

'One year from now you'll be glad you started...'

Last edited by Kaitie9399; 01-13-2013 at 08:48 PM.
Kaitie9399 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:50 PM   #26  

S/C/G: 189/146/135

Height: 5'6

Don't give up, maybe you need to change up your diet a bit. We all have different body types and I believe that you may need to be on a diet based on your body type. Read my blog on how I discovered this. It will open your eyes, I hope.
kadian43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 09:59 PM   #27  
Jillian stole my abs!

S/C/G: 195.8/138/140

Height: 5'5"

There is no failure only feedback.

In all honesty, 10 pounds a month is unrealistic, and most likely not healthy.

I also don't like time based goals, your mind may be willing, but your body, well, some days, not so much.

It takes time to learn to get your mind and body on the same page. As long as you keep doing the things that your mind knows are right, your body will follow, maybe slower than you'd like, but it will.

So, I'm going to tell you a little story about myself and my journey in weight loss and maintenance.

In early August of 2011, I came home from my WW meeting, tired and depressed. It was taking forever to lose the last 7 pounds and I was cranky and frustrated. So, I went to the garden to pull weeds, a great stress reliever for me. While on my hands and knees, pulling weeds and petting the cat and the dog, I was also having a pity party, wondering why I couldn't just be like normal people and not have to count my points, and my servings of veggies and protein and fruit and yada, yada.

In the middle of the act of throwing yet another weed over my shoulder, it dawned on me, maybe, I needed to redefine my notion of normal. So, as I continued to pull weeds, I mulled this over in my mind. What did I really think normal was?

I thought about all of the people I'd seen in the last few days, at work, at the grocery store, at the gym, the gas station. One woman particular came to mind. I was 51 at the time, this lady whom I know is several years younger than me, and obese, and has been for a long time. I had just seen her earlier in the day at the grocery store. With a cart load of nasty junk food, and wearing support stockings. The kind that don't have toes and came up just above her ankles. Her toes were almost black and you could see the purple/black creeping up above the support stockings!

On the same visit, I also saw a several folks who are regularly at the gym, fit, healthy, their carts were full of mostly good, healthy, nutritious foods.

Yeah, I'm weird about looking at that kind of thing.

As I sat in the garden amongst my organic beans and carrots and squash, etc. watching the cat and the dog play, I realized, NORMAL, isn't a big ole average of people, normal, is what works for ME.

I realized that if I want to be at a healthy weight and have a fit body, and avoid the support stockings, and the threat of all of the health issues that come with long term obesity, I have to count my WW points, and get in all my servings of fruit and veg, and lean protein and calcium, etc. and work out.

It was very refreshing to finally define normal, for myself, not for some goofy notion I had about the world around me.

It took me another 2 months to lose the last 7 pounds but I did it! The good news is, now in 2013, I'm down another 3 pounds, I work out, I love my WW lifestyle. I do indulge now and then. But I make sure it's something I really, really, really want, like my Mom's home made date cookies, that only appear one day a year, Christmas! This year I did not eat this cookie at Christmas dinner, because I knew I would eat it in the midst of all the visiting and hub bub and not even realize it. So, I brought 1 home and waited until I had a quiet moment, made a cup of apple cinnamon tea and totally enjoyed the 1 cookie!

This is a long journey of learning your mind and your body.

My best advice, track everything, if after awhile it's not working, research it, ask questions, be willing to go out there and change it up. See your Doctor.

Most of all "BE PATIENT" with the process, and "BE KIND" to yourself.
shcirerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 10:44 PM   #28  
Warrior Princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vex View Post
I'm not sure how old you are, but don't be like me and continually give up until you're 41 before you decide to finally do it.
I agree. I'm so mad I waited until 38 to do this but better late than never.
novangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:22 AM   #29  

Quote:
Originally Posted by novangel View Post
I agree. I'm so mad I waited until 38 to do this but better late than never.
I am 36 and this is not my first attempt. I hat that so much of my life has been fat. By the time the weight comes off, my kids will be grown and I will have missed out.

My husband and I are expected to be at the military ball in July. If I can't drop at least 40 I am not going. There is no way I will find a dress being 5 foot 2 and fat.

I haven't even been able to lose 5 pounds. Today my body feels like I got hit by a truck. And for what? Am I healthier for it?
Old 01-14-2013, 08:36 AM   #30  
Dukanista

S/C/G: high263/current257/ticker/198

Height: 5'7"

I can't tell whether this is more of an emotional vent thread or if you are looking for specific suggestions.

But a couple of questions - you mentioned you portion dinner out based on how many calories you have left - how many total calories a day are you having? And what kind of food are you eating?

Also, have you tried a low carb plan? They are definitely not for everyone but esp. if you have a time goal you want to achieve, they do tend to work more quickly for many people. And if it's not a comfortable long term thing for you, you could still try to meet your goal to lose as much as you can by July and then transition into a more flexible calorie counting plan.

And have you been to the doctor to get checked out and make sure there are no medical concerns that could impact weight loss - diabetes/blood sugar, thyroid, etc.?
April Snow is offline   Reply With Quote