3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Weight Loss Support (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support-13/)
-   -   What have you learned? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support/272929-what-have-you-learned.html)

Moondance 01-08-2013 04:34 PM

What have you learned?

So many of us are repeat losers (in weight loss!:D). Each time I lose and then regain, I learn something about myself and do better the next time.

What have you learned about yourself through weight loss (either directly about weight loss or about yourself in general)?

Me?
* I've learned I'm a sugar addict. :chockiss:
* I've learned that the longer I can put off breakfast, the better off I am during the day. :coffee2:
* I've learned I hate exercising, but know I have to do it anyway. :tread:
* I've learned if I weigh every day I get obsessive but do well weighing once a week. :goodscale

avalonmoon 01-08-2013 04:51 PM

I share the same ones, besides that my obsession over the scale is beyond depressing. I am learning everyday to except things won't always go as I like.

LockItUp 01-08-2013 06:30 PM

The main thing I've learned is that I'm incredibly lazy and I'm great at making excuses/justifications for my unhealthy behaviors. It's a constant battle, but one thing that has been different about this time is that I've admitted these things to myself. I've learned that I'm a binge eater as well. I know that I can't take a week or two off like I did last time because it snowballed into months, into a full regain. I honestly don't think I could do this again, so I can't regain!

Skellig19 01-08-2013 06:51 PM

I've learned that educating myself on different foods has led to a passion that has helped me stay on track. I get excited when I try a new vegetable because it has loads of a certain vitamin in it!

When I lost weight before or tried to lose weight I didn't really know what I was doing. I didn't know how my body worked, essentially. Research everything! The more you know, the more you are equipped to say, "no thanks, I don't want that [insert food here] right now, I shouldn't consume that much [insert nutrient here]!"

I've also learned that turning myself into a self-righteous food depriver doesn't work for me. I shouldn't say no to pizza and burgers and ice cream all the time. I should incorporate them into my diet in a healthy and balanced way. I eat pizza once or twice a week but it's only 2 slices at a time and boy do I ever enjoy it! I don't feel deprived and I'm still losing weight! It's the best way to "diet" for me.

elvislover324 01-08-2013 06:54 PM

I agree with LockItUp, I can't do this again so I can't regain.

--I learned I need to drink my 64oz of water a day and now my body loves it (cleared up my breakouts and makes me look so much healthier (I do 4 x 16 oz, 1 with each meal plus an extra in the evening so it doesn't seem so bad. 8 x 8oz made me feel like I was drinking all day!)

--I learned exercise is good for my body and my mental well-being. I pound out a lot of thoughts on the sidewalk when I make my way around the neighborhood, some weight related and others just about life in general.

--I learned this weightloss for me is literally life and death for me this time, no more fun and games or self-sabotaging. I was diagnosed with endometrial cancer over the summer and it's estrogen dependent, which feeds off my fat cells (gross visual). The thinner I can get, the better off my chances are for overall good health, esp. in regards to my chances of developing breast cancer.

--I have learned I deserve to be able to tie my shoelaces without falling over trying to reach, I deserve to sit anywhere in a restaurant without having to do the fat-test first to see if I fit, I deserve to be able to stop in a store and not have to wonder if they have larger sizes.

--This time, I want my ticker to scream "goal achieved" and it will be one of the best days of my life, silly as that may sound.

Thank you for starting this thread, really made me stop and think.

HungryHungryHippo 01-08-2013 11:00 PM

I've learned that I'm capable of doing hard things that I don't feel like doing. I just have to put one foot in front of the other, and stop making excuses.

Doomkitty 01-08-2013 11:36 PM

• I feel much better when I eat lighter food.
  • I don't really like meat that much and I don't crave it.
  • I don't mind jogging, I even like it most of the time.
  • I like dressing up now that I feel I actually look decently attractive. Maybe I'm a bit girly after all...

vabs 01-08-2013 11:51 PM

I learned that if I do this coming from a place of negativity, shame and self hatred, I WILL gain all of it back and then more.

I learned to be kinder and gentler to myself everyday. :)

I learned I can trust myself.

drake3272004 01-09-2013 12:37 AM

I have learned that my family will sabotage my efforts, they just don't get that my body is that different.
I have learned that my body has a love/hate relationship with carbs.
I have learned to try new ways to eat vegetables, I have to "hide" them sometimes.

Mozzy 01-09-2013 12:43 AM

I have learned that I need accountability.
I have learned that I can say "no"
I have learned that I have to be ready mentally, or nothing will change

Arctic Mama 01-09-2013 12:54 AM

I'm not a repeated loser - I was fat for years and when I was ready to make a change, I kept at it. That was four years ago be I haven't quit yet! That said, though I didn't quit and try again I have learned a TON about what does and doesn't work for my body and life during this journey.

For me - conventional diet wisdom is crap.

Accountability with my food intake is key.

Scales are useful but not crucial.

I can't ever expect to eat like a never-obese person and not end up looking like I did formerly.

There is NO end date to my diet, it's for life.

Exercise needs to be smart, not hard, for the best results and long term adherence.

Low carb, despite any bad wrap from the uninformed masses and well meaning dietitians, is a complete blessing for people like me who have defective mitochondria and inappropriate energy storage/partitioning. Ie: I can't eat like my body handles sugars well, because it doesn't. Working with that instead of fighting against it has made maintenance far easier AND more pleasurable :)

There's loads more, but that's the basics.

irishcanary 01-09-2013 02:46 AM

I need to nibble on 3 chocolate bars every day to stop bingeing (i don't actually eat the bars, just the sides of them)
That i enjoy the challenge of Intermittent Fasting
A low carb vegetarian diet works for me, it is hard work, but i never feel tired and have lots of energy
It is important to cook and put time and effort in to get a nice diet

Exercise is important

Supplements are important

To never give up, even when times are tough, just keep putting one foot in front of the other

freelancemomma 01-09-2013 02:20 PM

I've learned that I'm not a "never again" person. I'm an 80/20 person. I've learned the difference between motivation and commitment, particularly with regard to exercise.

Freelance
blog: www.englishgrammargripe.com

baileyboo9 01-09-2013 02:36 PM

Ive learned that I can lose weight and not lose who I am !! :). For years my excuse for why i wouldn't even try was because i was a happy person and why would i choose to be miserable on a diet. It turns out you don't have to be miserable in fact i'm the happiest Ive been in ages. Yes its hard work and right at this moment i am very hungry lol but ive just been running round playing chase my son that wouldnt of happened before.

chubbiegurl 01-09-2013 02:56 PM

My best guy friend or I will just call him my brother. Well my brother sees how well my hubby and I are doing losing weight. He wants and says he is trying too. Well the other day I was pointing out thi gs he can change, he had an excuse for everything I said. Like I suggested making his coffee at home so he could cut out the coffee house and the high calorie coffee he buys. He said I don't have time in the morning, I told him get one with a timer. He the said my dad will complain if I buy a new coffee maker when we already have one. I had to resist saying u are a 31 yr old man, I think u can safely buy a coffee maker.

Anyway I have learned how not to make excuses! I used to say I don't have time to work out, I have kids who don't want to eat my healthy meals, I can eat just one,I can start next week, because this week has already started etc u get the point