No sweets

• ...this is the 2nd day and i am almost ready to tear my hair out of my head. Wtf is wrong with me? I haven't touched anything sweet for 2 days and it feels exactly as it did when i gave up smoking almost 9 years ago. I feel frustrated and angry and needy all the bleeding time. I have no choice to any sweets either because i threw everything in the bin and i am glad i did because i would be stuffing my face right now, which would probably be bad for my health too. because i talked to a physician and he told me that the numbness in my hands and fingertips might be from type 2 diabetes which i have encountered in the past when i got pretty big at 182 pounds.

I also feel guilty because my four year old daughter wanted a chocolate yesterday morning and i told her i threw them away because i cannot eat them, and then my husband chimed in and said that i am egotistical because i look only at what i need and not what everyone else wants. So we went out and i bought her two cupcakes and let her have them and 2 more for him and i ate none.....i feel angry and bitter at his behavior towards me.....

The only positive thing is that i keep on bicycling everyday and i am doing some cardio also. I am putting small milestones in my workout. I have done 220 khm right now and i am aiming at 500 which is the distance to the second capital of my country, then at 1000, and so on......in the end i want to reach Ireland which is 3000 khm away from me.....and if i can in my mind i am going to remain there and NOT come back.....
  • 1st of all, NONE of you guys need junk like cupcakes, don't let your husband guilt you. Tossing away crappy foods isn't egotistical, it's a nice thing for the ENTIRE family. And to add, I hope he didn't say that in front of your daughter! That's just a whole different issue. I hope he gets his head out of his butt and supports you! That's just total crap he acted like that.

Anyway, sugar addiction is definitely brutal. It will pass, stay strong!

On another note, did your doctor not TEST you for diabetes!? It's odd to me they told you the numbness might be from diabetes but not actually look into it!
  • He said it in front of my daughter and then the kid said 'mom what you did was wrong!'....nice right? .....it's a whole different issue alright that doesn't fit in here i think and it is too big and too emotional for me. Thank God my baby is thin as a pin, only 30 pounds. She is a difficult eater and the pediatrician said to keep some dark chocolate in the house in cases of illness where she looses pounds easily. So i can give her some in order to spike her apetite. She is no sweet lover but sometimes she asks for it. That is why i felt terribly guilty for taking it away from her, but when i have it in the house for her 'just in case' i end up eating it ALL, before any 'case' happens.....

The doctor told me to give blood in order to analyze some parameters and i am going to do it this week. He said it is a supposition based on the hereditary issues from my mom (she died from diabetes at age 60, just 6 years ago), and from my pregnancy where i got it again but managed to control it by walking and eating right. Unless the blood tests come back he won't be able to know though.....

(forgive my English, it is not my native language).....
  • Your English is just fine!

I definitely won't get into the husband issue then, but it sounds like something to communicate with him about. Undermining you in front of your daughter definitely isn't good.

I'm sure there are other things besides chocolate you could keep around the house for your daughter to spike her appitite that isn't a trigger food for you. Maybe you could get some different suggestions from the doctor?

I hope your blood tests come back ok! But if they do come back telling you you have diabetes, at least you will know what you're dealing with.

Best of luck!
  • It's rough...I went thru it. Trust me, the intense cravings go away. I still can't keep stuff like that in the house though. I was a total sweet eater before...I ate sweet stuff more than anything.
    If my hubby said that to me, I'd be shoving those cupcakes where the sun doesn't shine. Especially if it was while I was detoxing from sugar. Lol
    Hang in there! You're going to feel sooooo much better when you get off the sugar!
  • The first few days are the hardest, I find, since my body seems to expect something sweet after every meal. I also find the fewer carbs I eat, the less I crave more carbs (sweets). You may also be one of those people who needs to go to restricted/low carbs in order to stop your sugar cravings.

I don't blame you for not keeping them in the house. This is day 2 for me, too. Sunday (day -1) DD came into my home office with a candy bar--she said there some left from our big party and she'd just opened the bag. I told her they had to leave the house. I think she took them to school for an after-school club--but I didn't care--they just had to be gone. I don't think that's a weakness--I think it's a strength to see what could hurt your success.

Does DH understand how much you need his support and how important this is to your health? It is not so different from not keeping alcohol in a recovering alcoholic's home. I tend to cop to the truth: "It would be nice if I could restrain myself if the food is available, but I can't. And until and unless that changes, I need to control what is here to avoid temptation. And I need your help with that."

As for your daughter maybe needing dark chocolate under certain circumstances, how far are you from a store? If she was suddenly losing weight, how suddenly would that be? Is it likely to be a 10 minute warning thing or a few days of doing poorly? If you're 10 or 20 minutes from a store where you can buy dark chocolate, then that's the solution--you'll buy it if you need to and not if you don't. Again, plan what to do if it's needed--and have it be a solution that takes your health and needs into account while still caring for your daughter.

I don't think anything is wrong with you at all. You've decided to do something very difficult. You succeeded on day 1. You're tempted on day 2 but you had taken action to make sure that it wouldn't be easy to fail. Your body wants sweets--you are fighting what your body is asking for--and that's hard. Keep making your plans one day at a time. You can do this.
  • I just want to add one small piece of advice. We are the adults. Our children don't always need to know the reason we do things - good or bad. You've unfortunately set yourself up for being asked if you threw the cupcakes away the next time there are none in the house. The better answer might have been, "The cupcakes are all gone. Let's see what else we have for a snack." And then have cupcakes (or whatever) in the house less frequently as time goes on. One thing I learned as a parent is to never answer a child's question in a way that makes you look guilty of something, even if you did it, especially if it was for the good of everyone involved.

Lin
  • I gave up sweets for a month myself a couple months back (lasted through halloween and thanksgiving). The first few days were really tough but it gets better. The cravings eventually subside. I heard somewhere that it takes 21 days to form a habit so I figured that if I could stick it out, I'd learn to live without sweets. You can do it! Just keep at it, one day at a time. People kept offering me sweets all the time (especially at work) but I had to turn them down and eventually let them know that I wasn't eating sweets. When worst came to worse, I would tell myself that I am not a garbage disposal and my body doesn't need all that sugar.
  • Guys thank you, your words are helping me a lot here. So this is day 3 with no sweets and i feel a little better.....well nothing special but i don't want to bang my head to the wall every three minutes..... Ι think i have lost a little weight but it is too small to measure yet so i am not changing anything anywhere, what i liked though was when i measured my bodyfat on my bicycle. It said 2 weeks ago 29.91 and now it read 27.62.....that means that all those miles i am doing even at 12:30 at night, are taking me 'maybe' somewhere else besides ireland. Now if only i can keep going.....:/
  • Ellemphriem, give yourself credit for what you're doing--you're exercising. Exercising late at night is still exercising. You've got a full life--and you're fitting that bicycle time into your schedule--that's something to be pleased about. You've been doing something for two weeks--that's well onto being a new habit!

You can keep going--you are doing this and you can continue to do this!
  • what I find helpfull is those bite size individual wrapped candies. Bout 25 calories a pop and satisfies the overwhelming desire to eat sweets. Granted you could always eat more, but savor the piece and know you are not completely deprived of all tasty things.