Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-06-2013, 11:55 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 182/154/125

Height: 5'2

Default Anyone else have a problem with clenching teeth?

I notice anytime I reduce my calories (to a doctor's reccomended amount-nothing drastic!) I find myself 'clenching' a lot the first week or two. Luckily a few months ago I got a retainer (to replace my horrible cemented one) and that's helping a bit, but even when I'm aware of the clenching it is really hard to stop. I'm usually a chronic snacker, so I think my body is just like, "WHERE'S DA FOOD?!" which is just...awkward...it hurts, can't wait for it to stop. :[
Tenoreo90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 12:08 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5'2"

I clench my jaws and grind my teeth. I grind my teeth in my sleep to harmonize with my snoring. I seem to do it whether I am dieting or not.
gailr42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 12:38 AM   #3  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

Try supplementing with some magnesium.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 12:42 AM   #4  
Lifelong Alaskan!

S/C/G: 230/180/150

Height: 5'5"

if your mouth is just looking for something to do, maybe try chewing gum?...i know that helps me when i want to "chew" but not necessarily need to eat anything

i find that, when busy, i tend to hold my breath...or not breathe deeply at all...and i'm busy alot...its weird
alaskanlaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 12:52 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 182/154/125

Height: 5'2

Interesting. I figured I was having some sort of deficient in my diet. Why magnesium, though? I thought that was just for...constipation?
Tenoreo90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:24 AM   #6  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenoreo90 View Post
Interesting. I figured I was having some sort of deficient in my diet. Why magnesium, though? I thought that was just for...constipation?
Many times people dieting especially low carb dieters can be deficient in magnesium.

I don't know the biochemistry involved ... just recall reading about it because my wife has (had) this problem.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:30 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 189/186.8/160 (restart)

I hadn't heard about magnesium, but it's good to know.

I grind my teeth at night and I wear a mouth guard. And now, it seems, according to my dentist, that I also grind my teeth during the day. I didn't realize that a lot of my snacking wasn't related to being hungry, or even the typical "emotional eating" syndrome, but rather I needed to move my jaw to release the tightness/stress there.

He recommended I chew gum. It helps, a little. He also said I should wear my mouth guard during the day when I can... but that's a little harder.

You might be a little stressed out when you lower your calories because you are asking your body to change its comfort level. Distraction might help you, rather than focusing on the number, to focus on other things in your life. And if you are still hungry, you may want to play around with what you're eating -- eat things that fill you up like protein and fats, lessen the amount of "empty" carbs like white bread or cookies or candy.
Rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:58 AM   #8  
Overweight again...dang

S/C/G: 213/160.3/135

I clench my teeth without even thinking about it. Usually it's stress related. Sometimes I have to make a conscious effort not to. When it's really bad, gum chewing can make it worse. I was going to suggest, as someone else did, that if you are clenching because you want a snack, drink water, and try chewing gum. Even a sucker, like a Dum Dum, even though it's candy, might even help. Or you could try the old standard veggie snack like carrots or celery. I'm sure it will pass

Magnesium is a muscle relaxer, and can help with muscle tension. I'd say that would be worth a try!
twinieten is offline   Reply With Quote