3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Weight Loss Support (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support-13/)
-   -   Eat late or skip a meal? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support/272781-eat-late-skip-meal.html)

WannaB2cute 01-07-2013 12:09 AM

Eat late or skip a meal?

Sometimes I'm extremely busy and find myself not having dinner till after 11pm. So if the only option is late night meal or no meal which do you choose? Why?

HungryHungryHippo 01-07-2013 12:17 AM

I choose late-night meal. I go by that HALT thing--never get too Hungry / Angry / Lonely / Tired--so I make sure never to skip a meal and set myself up to be ravenous later.

alaskanlaughter 01-07-2013 12:44 AM

if i am truly hungry, i will eat....if i just want to eat because its "past dinnertime and i didnt eat" or whatever reason my mind says, than often i will skip the food and just go to bed...often i want to eat because i'm tired anyhow, so going to bed solves both those problems LOL...yeah i might be hungrier in the morning but it's never led me to morning binging or massively overeating

Mozzy 01-07-2013 12:59 AM

I'd skip the meal and go to bed

knoxie 01-07-2013 01:28 AM

I'd eat but something lighter than I would eat if I were having it at 7pm. If I'm hungrier the next morning at breakfast I'll eat more to balance it out.

Alyj89 01-07-2013 02:45 AM

for me it would depend on how soon after I'm going to bed. sometimes I don't eat anything all day until 1 am - this happened recently after sight seeing on my vacation all day, all I'd eaten was half of a soft pretzel and whatever calorie that was was way burned off. I ate a 600 calorie meal at 1am a went to bed around 5. not the BEST thing to do mind you but that's what I usually do. The next morning I had a light breakfast with my extra calories - I usually skip breakfast. I still had 500 calories left over that I hadn't eaten from that day and that worked in my favor for a BBQ someone threw for us :)

So yeah. sometimes if I know I'm doing something special the next day I will save all of those calories if I miss dinner. if its REALLY late I will eat something really small like cereal, with more milk than usual.

Kery 01-07-2013 04:38 AM

I skip. Food definitely acts like fuel for me, so eating at 11 pm = not falling asleep before 3 am at the least, no matter how tired I feel otherwise. But then, I've never had night-eating problems, feeling hungry has never prevented me from sleeping, and whether I eat or not, I'll still be ravenous for breakfast the next morning. So I guess I sort of have it easy. ^^

JudgeDread 01-07-2013 04:44 AM

that depends on you and your diet. I'm a calorie counter. So I would eat either way, as I have a hard time falling asleep while my tummy is twisted. So it may not be a meal, but at least a healthy snack.

If your calorie intake is below 1000 until you go home, I would suggest eating for sure. If you go too low you will only put yourself back by lack of nutrients and your body could revert into fat saving "starving" mode.

krampus 01-07-2013 10:19 AM

Depends on the day. If I'm HUNGRY I'll eat and make it mostly protein and low-volume. If I can live without it I'll just eat tomorrow.

vabs 01-07-2013 10:25 AM

I'd eat the meal. This is basically because I like to eat, if I'm being 100% honest with everyone, lol.

But the other thing I might do is take a RTD protein shake with me, or a protein rich snack like dry roasted soy peas. Something I could eat on the go. I would just move my dinner calories to the snacks.