Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-01-2013, 02:57 PM   #1  
Pending Email Confirmation

S/C/G: 247/161/132

Height: 5'6"

Default How to balance diet and travel

I travel a whole bunch and find its hard to really lose weight when moving around so much. Im able to maintain have done this for the last 5 years but losing more doesnt seem to happen when Im on the go.
Any tips or hints Ive got 8 weeks in a row coming up end January and I wanna get to my goal this year and Im sick of treading water.
Thanks
misspixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 04:15 PM   #2  

i wish I had help. I know traveling can be really stressful and makes eating consistently tough. Hopefully someone else can answer your question.

I am going on vacation for a week, but that is much easier than constant travel. I plan on mapping out my meals, and not just eating whatever I want because I'm on vacation. It doesn't help that I am going to New Orleans. Apparently the food their is amazing.
TheLauren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 04:26 PM   #3  
Warrior Princess

If you have a smart phone Myfitnesspal app is free. It all boils down to calories so as long as you're tracking (and the app is great because it does all the work for you) you should be fine.
novangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 04:30 PM   #4  
Warrior Princess

You can still eat what your friends make but it has to be in moderation.
novangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 05:25 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 331/164/164

Height: 5'8"

After totally failing on my last several vacations and business trips, I just had great success on my recent South America trip. First trip I can remember where my pants felt looser, not tighter.

Things that helped me this time around (and some other tips that might help you):

- staying in a hotel room that has a kitchenette or kitchen. You can still go out to eat, but if you can control your food intake by cooking one or two meals/day it may help you.

- go online to look at menus ahead of time so you can find a restaurant that has a meal you can eat without feeling guilty.

- bring some snacks with you: almonds, granola bars, walnuts, fruit, etc. whatever you like that fits in your diet plan. With snacks, you can avoid those times when you are somewhere that has no healthy options available, like an airport. It also can help you regulate blood sugar and eat less at dinner/lunch if you have a snack ahead of time.

- if you exercise, plan ahead. Look up walking and hiking trails in the area you will be visiting so you can exercise. Or find a hotel with a gym. Or sign up for a walking tour of the city if you haven't been there before. Plan an after-dinner walk. Even a little exercise should make you feel better, and may allow you to have that dessert every other night.

- unlike other trips I have taken, where I drew a rigid line and said "no" to some foods -- and ended up feeling deprived or eating them anyway -- this time I allowed myself to have what I wanted. I just tried everything in moderation. I ate enough to sample the local delicacies, and when I had enough, I stopped.

- watch out for those hotel breakfast buffets. They are my weakness and are diet killers. To help cope, I planned my meal strategy before even going to the buffet. I aimed for some protein (typically eggs but sometimes sausage or a local specialty protein like pork), fruit, and one carb like a piece of bread with jam. And I didn't go up for a second helping.

Enjoy your vacation
KittyKatFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 05:28 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 255/holding at 162/160

Height: 5'-7"

Let salads be your "go to" fill in food. It's tempting to try all the local favorites, but just don't. And think of staying with friends this way - if you had a medical condition that prohibited you from eating certain foods, no one would think it rude for you to ask that you not be served those foods. If you don't want to have your hosts provide you with special meals, offer to buy groceries and fix meals with them. And, of course, there is eating everything in moderation (which never seems to work for me!) or just eating salads with stuff thrown in for most of your meals.

There is a fine line between eating what you want because you enjoy it and eating what you know you should because it's healthier. Also between being a good guest and being a pain in the butt. However, if these are good enough friends that you are invited into their homes, they should understand your desire to eat differently than what you have done in the past.

Good luck.

Lin
linJber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 05:31 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 195/145/145

Height: 5'11"

I also have a hard time with food-control on my frequent business trips as I love, love, love high-quality restaurant or catered meals. I try to focus on soup, salad and fish. Visualizing ahead of time what I'm going to order or pile on my plate sometimes helps.

F.
freelancemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 07:43 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 70/61/58

I used to travel a fair bit for work too. I usually had access to a fridge and microwave where I was staying, so I'd buy healthy frozen dinners and take them in a freezer bag with me. I was doing Jenny Craig for a while and took the food with me on my travels! For meals in transit, I'd usually aim for a sandwich such as ham and salad as they don't tend to be too calorific :-).
Finch13 is offline   Reply With Quote