Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 12-20-2012, 09:09 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 191/184/140

Height: 5'4" BMI-31.6=OBESE!

Default Calorie counter and other catagories

I just started counting my calories so I signed up for MFP to help with the cal count. Besides the cals should I be paying attention to the other catagories as well? (protein,sugar, fat, carb, fiber)

Last edited by valentine21463; 12-20-2012 at 09:10 AM.
valentine21463 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 09:30 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 285/211/165

Height: 5'6"

It's up to you. Calories are the most important. I found that foods higher in protein are more filling & satisfying for the # of calories. High-carb foods (pasta, bread) just weren't worth the calorie hit!

I set my targets to be 40% carbs, 30% protein, and 30% fat. (I am usually a bit high on the carbs and low on the protein.) I really do focus on fiber, though - 35g/day for me. I personally don't worry about the sugar, although some people find that it's helpful for them.
juliana77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 10:12 AM   #3  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

I only count calories. I watch the other categories just to see but they don't matter to me.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 11:27 AM   #4  
Overweight again...dang

S/C/G: 213/160.3/135

Height: 5'5"

I keep it simple. I just follow calories in-calories out. My calorie program (Bodybugg) keeps track of the percent of carbs, protein and fat for me, but I don't pay any attention to it.

For me, the more complicated something becomes, the less likely I am to follow it. I don't want to have to think about it so much! Some people really get in to it, and calculate everything and love it! Not me!

I would suggest that if you're weight loss isn't going well, then maybe examine what you're eating more closely. But at the end of the day, it's all about calories in, calories out.

While I don't keep track of specifics, I know my body reacts to carbs, even if I stay within my calorie limits. If I'm not losing or if I gain, I look at my food journal... It's quite likely that I've been indulging a little bit too much with rice, bread, pasta or more likely desserts and other refined sugar sweets or treats.
twinieten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 12:49 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5'2"

I use FitDay to log calories. I have zero scientific proof for my theories, other than I think I might feel better when I divide my calories into 50% carb, and 25% each of protein and fat. When the pie chart is nice and symmetrical, I feel nice and symmetrical. LOL.

For me, I think I feel better and have fewer episodes of prowling around anxiously looking for something to eat if I limit refined sugar and wheat. I kind of accidentally cut back on wheat because I thought one of my problems was eating too much bread and butter, so when I first started calorie restriction, I eliminated bread. Now when I need something bread-like, I have a small corn tortilla. Surprisingly, to me, I don't miss the bread.

Just my opinion, but I think the best program is one that you customize for yourself. There are lots of things people say that you should or shouldn't do as far as your diet goes. What is important is what you can live with permanently.
gailr42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 02:24 PM   #6  
Starting over sucks.

S/C/G: 485/445/250

Height: 6'1

All the advice here is good. I watch my carbs pretty closely and I eat in the very low/induction range (about 20-50g per day).

I would suggest you keep an eye on your sodium intake, as sodium makes you hold onto water.
Radiojane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 02:41 PM   #7  
Fear does not = fate

S/C/G: 295/140/nogoal :)

Height: 5'2"

I limit my carbs most days, but other than that I just make sure I get just enough fiber to keep regular but not make me feel icky, and my sodium and adjust my water to that. There's not anything I -don't- eat. But if I want it badly enough, I have to make it fit and hold myself accountable that there might be some water weight gain with it.

This has to be something -you- can live with and maintain, and calorie counting is the perfect way to do that in my personal opinion.
owlsteazombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 02:43 PM   #8  
Designing my new physique

S/C/G: 316

Height: 5'7.5

If you have or your family does a history of high blood pressure or diabetes your carbs/sodium is one to watch. I think everyone should get enogh fiber but you might need to research your optimal amount. I have seen many people on MFP say they under estimate the needed amount on the fiber/protein .. not sure about the fat-to lose weight it should be low but I don't know where.
Hope you have great results from logging. It is helping me.
avalonmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 04:10 PM   #9  

Thank you all for your replys! It's all very good information! I do have HBP and diabetes runs in my family. I also like simplicity. So I will only pay attention to cals/carbs/sodium for now.

Thanks again!
Old 12-20-2012, 07:48 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 153.5/119.4/116

Height: 5'2

I have only used calorie counting and MFP to lose all my weight. Been the best for me
WAHMto5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 08:16 PM   #11  
Heading Downtown...

S/C/G: 225/165/165

Height: 5'8"

I track calories... But as far as my macros are concerned... My first priority is that I'm getting enough protein... then I keep my carbs within certain limits at each meal to prevent unnecessary blood sugar spikes... and of course I track fat as well, which falls into place fairly easily because of my protein choices and the inclusion of some other omega sources... And I also track sodium and fiber as well, because those are important to me...
TripSwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 10:45 AM   #12  

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripSwitch View Post
I track calories... But as far as my macros are concerned... My first priority is that I'm getting enough protein... then I keep my carbs within certain limits at each meal to prevent unnecessary blood sugar spikes... and of course I track fat as well, which falls into place fairly easily because of my protein choices and the inclusion of some other omega sources... And I also track sodium and fiber as well, because those are important to me...
What is the amount of protein/fat/etc. that you limit yourself to? Or can someone tell me where to go find those amounts?
Old 12-21-2012, 11:45 AM   #13  
Heading Downtown...

S/C/G: 225/165/165

Height: 5'8"

I base my protein needs on lean body mass and my activity level... and the reason I take a look at it is so that I get enough, but not too much based on those things...

If you do a google search on daily protein requirements you can find various on line calculators that can help you come up with a range based on your particular needs...
TripSwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 11:46 AM   #14  
In the TARDIS

S/C/G: 368/ticker/168

Height: 6'0"

The only things I pay attention to on MyFitnessPal are calories and sodium.

Calories, to make sure out vs in are in line (I use a BodyMedia Fit to keep on track) and sodium so that I can predict if my weight is going to be higher than normal because I'm retaining water.
LaceyCen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 05:45 PM   #15  
wonderful shrinking woman

S/C/G: Lbs: 400/T*2.2/150

I agree that the most important thing is to track calories in (and out) but tracking the other categories helps train me to think in terms of good nutrition and foster healthy eating habits.
sistah phat is offline   Reply With Quote