Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Closed Thread

Old 04-29-2003, 01:33 AM   #1  
Dancing those pounds away

Talking 300+ And Ready To Try Again... #324

God Bless America!!!!

We want to invite everyone to join us in our journey.
We share laughter and tears.
We share what works for us and what doesn't.
We recently started a Topic of the Day.

Monday........Motivation Monday
Tuesday.......Tuesday Tips
Wednesday.....Wednesday Weigh ins and Way to Go !!
Thursday......Thankful Thursday
Friday........Friday Facials, Fingernails and Fun
Saturday.......Sit-up Saturdays - any physical activity
Sunday.........Soup and Salad Sunday - recipes

These are not required topics ...just ideas to share. We have found them very helpful. We also share heartaches and fears...joys and celebrations.

Please feel free to jump right in with us.
And be sure to check if there is a second page. We don't want anyone to miss any posts.
We want to invite everyone to join us in our journey.
We share laughter and tears.
We share what works for us and what doesn't.
We recently started a Topic of the Day.

WELCOME
Old 04-29-2003, 02:06 AM   #2  

Angry HOWDY !!!

Well.. at least I am in here before 3am tonight.
But I won't be here for long.

My life is a wild mess.
Trying to close down my parents apartment in Missouri from here.
Distributing heirlooms and keepsakes fairly.
Selling some... giving some others.
Trying to decide what to do with what.
Plus.. trying to keep everyone happy and keep my parents spirits up.
As I wrote in the emails to all of the family members... "There are no perfect solutions in situations like this".
I feel I have been fair and honest with all of them. I truly hope they are all satisfied... but I know that there are always disappointments in times like these. So far... so good.

Only have time for a few replies. If you didn't get picked it is only because my memory is short so I can only remember the last couple of posts.

Thin... That tape I ordered was a Richard Simmons tape.
"Sit Tight" ... I hope to use it until I can get some weight off so I don't damage my knees anymore than they are.
I was going to just make up my own exercises sitting down and I thought... if I am going to invest time and energy into exercising... I want my moneys worth and results !!! So I decided to let a professional guide me. I am such a "KNOW IT ALL" ... and I know nothing about what gives the best results as far as exercise goes. lol
But I will tell you this.... I AM GOING TO LOSE either 10 pounds or 10 inches in the month of May !!!!

Lucky... Hang in there girl. Your new future is right around the corner. Isn't it funny how when we know it is our last few days... how everything seems to bug us. LOL 4 days and counting.

Barb... I will let you know Fri about the video. My daughter's tv station is playing Oprah over on Thursday night and she plans on recording it for me. If she forgets.. I will be getting back to you. Can you wait a few more days??

Deon... tell your daughter Happy Birthday !!!!
What did you do to celebrate??

Sara... where is our birthday girl ???

Tina.. good to see YOU again.
I love to listen to you type. LOL

I can't remember any more details so let me just say....
Hello Michelle, Baylee, Sandy, Duckie, Kat, Mary, Jen, Steph, Lori, and to Jiffy pop if she is lurking.
J-ann... we haven't heard from you or Ravyn or Syn in a longgg time.
Do you remember in the movie "Back to the Future" how their photos faded away.?? You better get back in and visit soon before our memories of you fade too. I am getting OLD. I need gentle reminders... daily.

I have a busy day planned for tomorrow and Wed I head back to Missouri.
Will return home for the weekend. Keep this thread going while I am gone.
I LOVE YOU GUYS !!!!
Old 04-29-2003, 02:51 AM   #3  

Ok I am feeling great tonight but still feel like an incredible eating machine. I want to eat everything in sight. I am hanging in there but it's tough.

I can't believe I am the first to respond on this thread, I feel so priveleged.

I went for a 45 minute walk tonight, 1 1/2 mile. In the pouring rain. But I loved every minute of it and feel very motivated, and want to do it every day, doubt it will happen though. I am trying to do that visualizing thing, doesn't sound like it though. But I am trying to visualize me skinny and healthy and active. I know someday it will happen.

I am very tired, so I am off to bed.
Old 04-29-2003, 06:31 AM   #4  
I'm on my way!

Talking

COTTAGE CHEESE!!
Old 04-29-2003, 07:34 AM   #5  
You and Me in 2003

Angry

Good morning all
The Library was closed yesterday for Confederate Memorial Day.
I went into town and bought a new capri set for work, some bird feeders and new flower pots to repot house plants.

Our riding lawn mower died on Sunday so I had to buy a new one. I got a Snapper mower so it should last as long as we need one. (It better considering the cost)

Sara: Hope you had a Happy Birthday.

I ate lunch with my baby brother yesterday he is the Mamager at Wendys, then I went to American Legion with DH.

Hope all of you have a great Day

I really don't have a Tuesday Tip but do drink your water.
Old 04-29-2003, 08:20 AM   #6  
a work in progress...

Talking Hiya!

It's another beautiful day here...sunny and cool this morning. I'm sneaking in a post before my son gets up and requires my attention...Yes, he's 12, but if I don't supervise the outfits he comes up with, God only knows what he'd look like going off to school. They do say men are color blind, don't they?

Sad night at work last night...One thing I hate about working in a community hospital is knowing so many of the patients or their families. (not that I'm anti-social, just feel bad when people I know are sick) They called a code in ICU last night....a resuscitation attempt after cardiac arrest. (I have to respond because I'm there to place calls as necessary, order any tests that need to be done...anything clerical associated with that event.) So I get up to the ICU only to find the person they are coding is the father of a good friend of mine. He didn't make it. I guess it's a blessing because he had been sick for a long time, he's finally at rest. Still so sad. I did get to see my friend and offer my condolences.

I'm wondering if my sister is going to call me for WW this am. I haven't been in a few weeks...one thing or another always seems to come up Tuesday mornings...(yeah, including my weight!) If she calls I'll go. If not, I'll go to the gym. Decisions, decisions...HELLO...wouldn't kill me to go to both, either!

Speaking of WW...when we used to go diligently...and I lost 40 lbs...we always designated WI (not Wisconsin) day as a freebie. Of course, back then, we went at night, so there was only so much damage you could do! BUT...it really helped to know that we could have whatever we wanted that ONE day, and then got back OP the next day. So don't sweat it, Thin. Keep up all your good work, next week will be better! And even if it's just a pound a week, you're right in step with what they want you to lose. BTW, I'm sure Ritchie Poo would love to hear from you!

Well, that's all I have time for now. The boy is summoning me...

Have a great day, gang!
Old 04-29-2003, 10:11 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 332.4/228.4/175

Height: 5'11"

I had my first workout at Curves today and I loved it. It is a really good workout. I was sweating when I was done.Their scale showed me 4 lbs heavier than my scale, but I also had my clothes and shoes on so I figure that probably makes up the difference. They weigh and measure once per month. I can't wait to see the pounds drop off. And Thin- no you don't have to jog on the platforms. I walk in place. They want you to use the most energy on the machines. And 1 pound is nothing to be ashamed of. At least it was lost and not gained. I also have a hair appointment today. I figure since I'm starting a new life, I may as well have a new look. My hair is getting way too long for my liking. Food has been good. My pitfall is nighttime eating. I came home from work last night and had a piece of chocolate cake with lite cool whip and strawberries. There was no frosting on the cake so I figure it wasn't too bad and I did good all day so I'm not going to beat myself up over it. One day at a time. It's another beautiful day here so I think I'm going to go enjoy it.
Steph
Old 04-29-2003, 01:19 PM   #8  

It's another beautiful day here, and I am catching up on email and messages before heading back outside.

Last night, I ate some chocolate ....BUT, no more of that stuff, because I felt nauseated afterwards! I guess that came from not having any for such a long period, my system went into shock
Besides, I guess it was also the caffeine overdrive, because I had a devil of a time going to sleep last night, and when I did, some really WEIRD DREAMS!

Right now, the commercial for Bally's is on...they are always advertising! To be honest, though, Curves seems more appealing as far as gyms go
Old 04-29-2003, 04:33 PM   #9  

I love the Curves tv commercials. They even make ME want to go.
No time to visit... I am very busy tieing up loose ends and getting ready to go to Missouri.. just had to peek in.
Old 04-29-2003, 05:49 PM   #10  
a work in progress...

Exclamation Hey! Is there a POSTal strike going on?

Get it? A postal strike? heh heh...

whatever...

I have a recipe to share...I know it's not recipe day, but I have no Tuesday Tip, so this will have to do.

I had some ripe bananas so I looked for a good banana bread recipe. This is from allrecipes.com. They say it's only 2 points per serving. I don't know how it tastes because it's baking right now, but it sure smells good.

Will report results later. Here goes:

Almost No Fat Banana Bread

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour I used 1/2 c white flour and 1 cup whole wheat flour
3/4 cup white sugar I used Splenda
1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 egg whites I used whole eggs
1 cup banana, mashed I used 3 very ripe bananas
1/4 cup applesauce
I also added 1/4 cup chopped walnuts

Directions
1 Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease an 8x4 inch loaf pan.
2 In a large bowl, stir together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and cinnamon. Add egg whites, bananas and applesauce; stir just until combined. Pour batter into prepared pan.
3 Bake in preheated oven for 50 to 55 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into center of loaf comes out clean. Turn out onto wire rack and allow to cool before slicing.

Makes 12 servings

Calories 130
Protein 2.4g
Total Fat 0.3g
Sodium 90mg
Cholesterol 0mg
Carbohydrates 30.1g
Fiber 1g

These nutritional calculations are based on the original recipe...they will be different with the changes that I made. I want to look them up to see the difference. Will report back with that too.

***According to my calculations at fitday.com, the substitutions brought the point value down slightly, to 1.66 per serving. Using egg whites only, the points go down to 1 per serving.

Shoot! that's withOUT the walnuts! WITH the walnuts, and using egg whites, it's 1.83 points...

Okay, I have spent FAR too much time on this...I really have to go now!

Last edited by katrinabgood; 04-29-2003 at 06:35 PM.
Old 04-29-2003, 06:45 PM   #11  
BELIEVE!

Hey Ladies!
How is everyone doing today??? I've been lurking around, but am just now posting because I've had a horrible headache that is now starting to ease up.

I'm pleased to report that I got over one of my phobias today and went to the doctor and actually discussed my weight. Usually I only go if I'm on my deathbed and I just hope they don't bring it up. I know --- not good, but I am getting over these issues. And I have to give you all a lot of credit. You are helping me become a more confident person. Anyway --- I got my desperately needed allergy medicine and I am going back in the morning to have blood work taken. She told me she is very pleased with my weight loss and is happy that I am doing it smartly with diet and exercise. The scale at the office was also kind and showed me about 4 pounds lighter than my home scale!! I'm going to keep using my home scale for my purposes since I like to weigh once a week. Now I just have to wait for the new med to kick in and see what the results of my blood work have to say.

2cute - no problem on the tape. I'll hang onto it and you just let me know.

Deon - Way to go on the walk. I think I am going to forgo mine tonight and do some desperately needed housework. Then if I feel up to it before bed I may take the dogs for a short one.

Michelle - Thanks for the good laugh over the cottage cheese, you really had everyone wondering.

Mary - Hope that mower works for you. We'd be lost without our riding mower. Although Jeff always does the mowing and I get stuck with all the edging --- oh well, more exercise for me.

Steph - Good job on your first workout at Curves. I've heard great things about it!!!

Lori - I can't completely give up on chocolate. Thank goodness I have just learned to have a tiny bit when the cravings hit me.

Kat - Banana Bread -- YUMMY!! Please let us know how it turns out, also interested to see how the nutritional value changes.

Well, I'm off to do some housework and I need to eat dinner soon because it's water only for me after 8 tonight.

See ya later.
Barb
Old 04-29-2003, 06:47 PM   #12  
BELIEVE!

Hey Kat - Looks like you were editing while I was posting. Thanks for the update on the bread.
Old 04-29-2003, 07:25 PM   #13  
a work in progress...

Default re: banana bread

Okay...one last thing...

MMMMMMMMM!
Old 04-29-2003, 07:51 PM   #14  

Height: 5'7"

Thumbs down Hello Ladies

Hello ladies, I've checked out this thread several times but never posted to it. Today I have something I want to share. A friend sent this to me and I was really suprised This is for any of us that would rather have a pop than a glass of water. I was really directing this at Jack's Lady but I see she hasn't been around lately. I guess I'll just post it here in hopes she finds it and some of you find it interesting.

WATER OR COKE?

This is really an eye opener.... Water or Coke?
We all know that water is important but I bet you have never seen it written down like this before.

Water

1. 75% of Americans are chronically dehydrated.
2. In 37% of Americans, the thirst mechanism is so weak that it is often mistaken for hunger.
3. Even MILD dehydration will slow down one's metabolism as much as 3%.
4. One glass of water will shut down midnight hunger pangs for almost 100% of the dieters studied in a University of Washington study.
5. Lack of water is the #1 trigger of daytime fatigue.
6. Preliminary research indicates that 8-10 glasses of water a daycould significantly ease back and joint pain for up to 80% of sufferers.
7. A mere 2% drop in body water can trigger fuzzy short-term memory, trouble with basic math, and difficulty focusing on the computer screen or on a printed page.
8. Drinking 5 glasses of water daily decreases the risk of colon cancer by 45%, plus it can slash the risk of breast cancer by 79%, and one is 50% less likely to develop bladder cancer.

And now for the properties of COKE

1. In many states (in the USA) the highway patrol carries two gallons of Coke in the truck to remove blood from the highway after a car accident.
2. You can put a T-bone steak in a bowl of coke and it will be gone in two days.
3. To clean a toilet: Pour a can of Coca-Cola into the toilet bowl and let the "real thing" sit for one hour, then flush clean. The citric acid in Coke removes stains from vitreous china.
4. To remove rust spots from chrome car bumpers: Rub the bumper with a rumpled-up piece of Reynolds Wrap aluminum foil dipped in Coca-Cola.
5. To clean corrosion from car battery terminals: Pour a can of Coca-Cola over the terminals to bubble away the corrosion.
6. To loosen a rusted bolt: Applying a cloth soaked in Coca-Cola to the rusted bolt for several minutes.
7. To bake a moist ham: Empty a can of Coca-Cola into the baking pan, wrap the ham in aluminum foil, and bake. Thirty minutes before the ham is finished, remove the foil, allowing the drippings to mix with the Coke for a sumptuous brown gravy.
8. To remove grease from clothes: Empty a can of coke into a load of greasy clothes, add detergent, and run through a regular cycle. The Coca-Cola will help loosen grease stains. It will also clean road haze from your windshield.

For Your Info

1. The active ingredient in Coke is phosphoric acid. Its pH is 2.8. It will dissolve a nail in about 4 days. Phosphoric acid also leaches calcium from bones and is a major contributor to the rising increase in osteoporosis.
2. To carry Coca-Cola syrup (the concentrate) the commercial truck must use the Hazardous material place cards reserved for Highly corrosive materials.
3. The distributors of coke have been using it to clean the engines of their trucks for about 20 years!

Now, the question is, would you like a glass of water or coke?

Well ladies after this week I will have more time on my hands and I plan to get my butt in gear. I would love to join this thread if you will have me. Hope you found this post amusing or interesting. Thanks.

Amanda
Old 04-29-2003, 08:31 PM   #15  
I'm on my way!

Amanda you are welcome to post with us anytime you want! You have chosen a great bunch of women to associate yourself with! These gals are here for us through thick and thin...they are the absolute best! It seems like a bunch of us are back up on the wagon and making progress....so jump on and post often and tell us a little about yourself...

I know I haven't been around much lately...but hopefully things will slow down for me. I have just hired another girl in my office who started training on monday...so I should be able to get my days off again and have time to post!

I had a great first day OP today...I have only eaten 24 points today and I get I think 30-35 but I am done. FULL...tired and ready for bed! I got one of those bags of fancy salad mix and put my own chicken tenders on top and saved myself $4.00 Tasted just like McDonalds!! And it was only 3 pts plus one for the ff dressing I used!

I do have to say...I think it was Tina that mentioned the Klondike Ice cream sandwiches...Klondike Slim-a-bear 98% fat free...I just ate the chocolate one and it was way sooo much better than the skinny cows! It was so rich and creamy. Even Andrew ate a vanilla one. I wouldn't part with the chocolate ones! Well worth the two points! Even worth giving up 4 points to have two of them!

Barbara, Kat and Steph...we all gotta get together one day this summer! I have Sunday's off every week so maybe we can all meet for lunch one sunday noon. That would be sooo awesome!

Thin...I keep forgetting to say Thank you! That was such a much needed surprise! You are so thoughtful!!

2Cute...you are such a busy bee!!

Tina...did you get your internet back yet? I hate that when that happens...and they still want us to pay for it too even though we couldn't use it!

Sara where you be? Must have been hijacked for her birthday! Hope you had a great day!

Kat that bread sounds so good. I was just thinking yesterday I need a point friendly banana bread recipe so I can use up some of these ripe ones I have hanging around!

Lori...forget the chocolate now and move forward. We all need to indulge once in awhile so we don't feel deprived! Like Kat said earlier...weigh in day is free day. When I lost the 97 lbs the first time I would allow myself whatever I wanted for dinner that night. Sometimes it was chinese sometimes McDonalds or just chocolate or something that I really wanted. I had something to look forward to and never felt deprived!

Deon did you get the eating out of the way! I have days like that too where nothing fills me up and I can't stop eating everything thats not bolted down! I find that if I steam veggies and sprinkle some grated cheese or just melt a slice of american cheese on it that it fills me up quickly! All the fiber in the veggies does it! After you eat a big bowl of it you feel like a glutton and don't want to eat anymore for days....

Mary...Wendy's..Yummy!! They have a nice salad bar there.

OK gotta go give the boy a bath and give him his medicine...

I'll try and catch up to you all tomorrow!

TTFN Michelle
Closed Thread