Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 12-12-2012, 11:08 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 183/166/135

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripSwitch View Post
I used to be exact when asked, but I got more than a few reactions that really surprised me like "I had no idea that you were that heavy" to people actually saying "You were that fat?"
I got those reactions too. It was irritating. Sometimes I think people say stupid things because: [A] they are stupid; and/or [B] they just say something for the sake of saying something, to fill up space and just chatter about nonsense.
BreathingSpace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 11:45 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 255/holding at 162/160

Height: 5'-7"

It depends on who is asking. Friends and family get the exact number. So do some people I see only once in a while - friends of friends, parents of DD's classmates, etc. who I think are genuinely interested. If I want to be vague I usually say, "About 5 pounds less than I'd like." No one so far has been rude enough to push that.

I was stuck in an airport for about 3 hours recently on a flight delay. I was waiting with a woman about my age who was waiting for the same flight. We had meal and a drink together and then passed the time chatting about all sorts of things. Somehow the subject of weight loss came up (probably when we both ordered salads instead of the great looking burger platters on the menu) so I mentioned I'd lost 90 pounds recently. She asked how it did it. I said I had cut calories, carbs, fat, and sugar way down and joined a gym. She said, "That's not what I wanted t hear." We laughed at that. It's very easy to be frank with a stranger!

I think you have to answer with something that is comfortable for you. You can be vague without offending them. If you don't want it "gossiped around" come up with a witty answer that isn't rude but lets them know you don't want to give exact numbers. While you're still working on losing you might say, "I'm a little over half way to my goal." And if pressed by someone you don't want to give information to, I think you can say, "I'd rather not talk about numbers." And if someone rudely insists on asking questions when you don't feel comfortable, you can always resort to, "I can't imagine why you'd ask that!" Or, "I can't imagine how you could think I'd want to give you that information."

Most people just want to know for no other reason than to congratulate your accomplishment. And when someone says they're asking so they can tell someone else, it's usually to encourage them. I think we have to be patient with these questions as they are rarely meant to be rude or intrusive. And if they are, then you can give a (slightly) rude answer.

Great job so far, by the way. Keep up the great work.

Lin

Last edited by linJber; 12-12-2012 at 11:47 PM.
linJber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 11:45 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 145 / 102 / ?

Height: 5'

What a great question!! If it's people I'm comfortable with, I'll tell them the truth, but if it's people I feel like I have to put up a front with, I'll say, like 20 pounds.
HungryHungryHippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 12:27 AM   #19  

Height: 5'8.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliana77 View Post
I am proud of the number. It's not a secret I was fat... people ARE surprised at the number, but mostly because people aren't honest about their weight, I think. I wasn't fooling anyone.

But you could be vague... "over 20" or whatever you're comfortable with saying.
I agree! Of course I am embarrassed by how much I weighed but it is not any big secret that they are now aware of
Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 12:47 AM   #20  
I'm bringing sexy back!

S/C/G: 242/234.5/167

Height: 5'5"

I've lost "the baby weight" lol
Mozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 07:01 AM   #21  

S/C/G: 247/see ticker/140

Height: 5'4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mozzy View Post
I've lost "the baby weight" lol

This would be a true story!!! Lol now I'm losing ex-husband weight
Thedollylala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 07:10 AM   #22  

S/C/G: 185/140/115

Height: 5'0 TALL

I give the number Some people react positively, some not so much "oh really? Keep going you're still heavy for your weight".

I just try to think that they just don't know how much hard work I've done to actually lose that weight. When people don't understand something, they tend to say and do stupid things.
Nayshal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 07:28 AM   #23  
Skinny chick

I've never told anyone a number. And I really think it's rude to ask someone how many pounds they've lost. But I usually just smile and say something like, "Yeah, I have lost some weight."

Like another member said, it's my story, not theirs.
NCchickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 07:44 AM   #24  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I am not at all ashamed but I give a vague answer such as "some" and I often say " and I did it on purpose". I just think it is rude and intrusive for someone to ask, it is like someone asking your age , my answer "over 21". As far as I can tell no one is insulted by my vague answers. It is comparable to some one saying "hi! How are you today?".They don't expect you to tell them your medical history.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 08:03 AM   #25  
Heidi

S/C/G: 204.5/149/153

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by owlsteazombies View Post
No one's even noticed I've lost weight...wow..thats actually really sad and depressing. But I don't know how I would respond if I was asked.
I'm SURE people have. How couldn't they?? For whatever reason, they aren't mentioning it... People are funny. I get together for lunch with friends who knew me at my current weight, watched me balloon up 41 pounds, and come back down. They haven't commented, either...
newleaf123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 09:37 AM   #26  
is a persistent thistle

S/C/G: 230/see ticker/133

Height: 5'6"

I don't have a problem giving out the exact number if anyone asks. I've never enountered anyone who was rude about it though. A few people have reacted with the "you weighed that much?!" but they did it innocently enough. There was no malice there, just lack of tact. I think they were genuinely surprised and caught off guard.

For people that ask me pretty regularly I sometimes name some similarly sized object like in the What Your Weight Loss Looks like thread. It's more amusing to say, "A baby zebra and a snow tire" or "Kate Middleton!" than "Yeah, I know it's been a whole month since you asked but only 2 pounds more..."
Thistleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 09:40 AM   #27  

S/C/G: 325/125/maintaining

Height: 5'6.5

Most people just tell me I lost a ton of weight, but don't ask how much. But, if they do ask how much, I tell them. They always get a shocked, horrified?, look on their faces. Lol. I'm proud of it...I worked hard for it. So, it doesn't bother me one bit. Only thing that has ever bothered me is the people who insist I must have had weight loss surgery. I say, no, just changed the way I eat, no doctors, no trainers, no surgery. One lady actually winked at me and said ya, sure, wink, wink.
KatMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 10:00 AM   #28  
Maintaining since 2013

S/C/G: Sz 20/Sz 8/Maintain

Height: 5'11

For me it depends who is asking me the question. If someone in my family or circle asks I'm totally transparent. If someone is genuine I will tell a dress size number - what I used to be and where I am now. If that leads to what I am doing they get the eating better and working out more answer.

If it's some random person I feel divulging details will lead to more questions and probing so I tend to say something random like "yes, gotta get ready for bikini season!" smile and quickly leave or change the subject. By no means am I ashamed or embarrassed (I'm working my behind off and it shows), but I am a super private person and feel the specfics is really no ones business.

Last edited by SunnySide99; 12-13-2012 at 10:06 AM.
SunnySide99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 10:21 AM   #29  

S/C/G: 335/see ticker/135

Height: 5'7 -171ish cm

I tell them the number. I think a lot of ppl have no idea what weight looks like so when I say oh 110+ they are like no cause you didnt weigh enough in the beginning to lose that much, if you had, you'd be a skeleton now, and then i tell them what I used to actually weight. Or ive had ppl be like you cant lose 90 more lbs your only 150 now! LOL I wish i was 150lbs. So yea I tell them the number but their reactions and questions show most people really have no idea what weight looks like. None.

Tho when they ask how long it took me to lose 110bs+ they get a bit rude. Apparently since shows like the biggest loser came out ,losing 2lbs a week or taking a maitenance break for life reasons , is just something people cannot handle hearing. It took you 2.5 years??? omg you need to diet better you should be losing 10lbs a week and have that all gone in 2.5 months! why cant you be better on your diet?!?

Thats why I hate those kinda shows. It warps peoples minds on what reality really is.

Last edited by CherryQuinn; 12-13-2012 at 10:26 AM.
CherryQuinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 10:37 AM   #30  

S/C/G: 222/150/138

Height: 5'3"

To people I don't know very well, I simply say "I'm about halfway to my goal. I've got a ways to go". They're just being nosy, so I don't feel the need to share details of my previous and current weight. I've been using this line a lot lately, actually. I guess I am at the spot where everyone thinks it is safe to comment. Probably similar to the time when a pregnant woman "pops" and people no longer have to guess whether she has gained weight or is pregnant.

I use approximate numbers with friends and family.

Last edited by Shrinkberry; 12-13-2012 at 10:43 AM.
Shrinkberry is offline   Reply With Quote