Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 11-29-2012, 03:55 PM   #16  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripSwitch View Post
This is good to hear... Gives me some hope, since mine unfortunately, seems to have gone in the opposite direction
Are you a very small framed person with no muscle? Because 5'9" and 148 is not heavy. I get that you might not be happy but your goal weight seems extremely low for someone who is not a teenager.

I'm not trying to be rude - just trying to figure out what you're going for and if it makes sense.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 04:39 PM   #17  
Heading Downtown...

S/C/G: 225/165/165

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnP View Post
Are you a very small framed person with no muscle? Because 5'9" and 148 is not heavy. I get that you might not be happy but your goal weight seems extremely low for someone who is not a teenager.

I'm not trying to be rude - just trying to figure out what you're going for and if it makes sense.
I don't think that's rude at all.... I should probably change that 127 goal... But I've been holding on to it because it's what I weighed after college... But 135 was a good weight for me... especially for running... So I was hoping to get back down to that and hopefully re-establish it as my set point since I was able to maintain it in the past... Does that make sense?
TripSwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 04:47 PM   #18  
Embracing the suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripSwitch View Post
I don't think that's rude at all.... I should probably change that 127 goal... But I've been holding on to it because it's what I weighed after college... But 135 was a good weight for me... especially for running... So I was hoping to get back down to that and hopefully re-establish it as my set point since I was able to maintain it in the past... Does that make sense?
Does what make sense? Your goal weight or resetting your set point?

For a goal weight - I supose. That is pretty light for 5'9" but I have no idea what your body composition is.

For resetting your set point - I have no idea. I really believe that the weight you can easily maintain is not the same thing as a set point but it doesn't matter if you can easily maintain it. Some of us are always going to have to be diligent to maintain.

The theories out there on this subject range a broad spectrum. If you have a little time my favorite author (favorite because his opinion is entirely based on science) has a series of articles on the subject...
Old 11-29-2012, 05:11 PM   #19  
Heading Downtown...

S/C/G: 225/165/165

Height: 5'8"

JohnP Thanks for the link... I was just about to edit that last post to try to make it more clear... I was toying with the idea of using a PSMF to get down to goal, then working to maintain with diet and increased running (I'm planning on running another marathon next spring...) and my hope is that would "reset" my weight...

I know this probably seems like a "vanity" lbs. issue... But even just 10lbs. would make difference when it comes to running and performance...
TripSwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 11:58 PM   #20  
Embracing the suck

I get it - one thing is for sure - the best way to keep hormones at bay when it comes to losing vanity pounds is to lose them slowly. So maybe doing a short 4 week PSMF and then slowly dropping the rest ... just don't try to incorporate a lot of running in conjunction with a PSMF...
Old 11-30-2012, 05:43 AM   #21  

S/C/G: See ticker!

Height: 5'0

One of my family members claimed (I say claim because he's 6'4 and probably just grew!) that he lost 50 pounds when he was a teen and now he's in his 40's and has never had a weight problem since then. Now he eats what he wants and doesn't gain. Granted, he doesn't eat that bad, but he's still very thin without exercising or dieting of any kind.

So I'm wondering, if you lose the weight and maintain it for years, if your body naturally resets and adjusts to the new weight after your metabolism has had time to recover, and after your body has had time to get used the new weight?

I wonder this because the reason I gained so much is from dieting in the first place. I'd lose 10 pounds, go off it, then regain the 10 pounds plus 5-10 more. Yet, when I wasn't dieting, I wouldn't gain, even for years at a time. Hopefully set points have to do with maintaining your ideal weight for a while and letting your body adjust.
Samantha18 is offline   Reply With Quote