Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 11-26-2012, 05:07 PM   #1  
Not trying-just doing

S/C/G: 254/237/155

Height: 5'7"

Default I'm not losing weight...

I'm not losing any weight, only inches. Am I gaining too much muscle? Is that possible? Is it a slower process for someone who is gaining muscle while getting in shape? I've only lost a total of 13 lbs in almost 3 mos (and none in the last 2 weeks), but I've gone from a US size 22 to an 18 and I've purchased 16s that fit. I'm just finding it so weird that I've lost almost nothing weight-wise.
Megzfit1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 05:18 PM   #2  
Renaissance Woman

S/C/G: 363/306/185

Height: 5'10.5"

Awesome progress! You're doing really well! I know it's a head scratcher when stuff like this happens, but it's normal to lose fat at varied rates. Sometimes it goes faster than other times. It sounds like you have gained muscle mass but lost fat mass. Fat is less dense than muscle and takes up more space.

As far as gaining too much muscle, you simply cannot gain that much muscle that quickly. You really can't gain any more than a pound of muscle a week, and only if you were a young guy working out really hard.

When you're looking at that number on the scale, it doesn't tell you the whole story. But the shrinking sizes do. You're a success!
geoblewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 05:25 PM   #3  
Losing the baby weight

S/C/G: 224/183/140

Height: 5"4

geoblewis explained it well, it's hard to gain muscle that quickly.

I wouldn't be upset, you're losing inches right? What would you prefer, to see a lower number on the scale or to actually be smaller?

We get too hung up on the numbers when we should really be looking at size, body composition, and how we feel. There was a month I lost no weight but lost quite a few inches all over my body, 3 from my waist alone.
StephanieM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 05:26 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 138/136/110s

Personally, I wouldn't worry at all! Yes, we say we want to "lose weight," but what we all really want, I assume, is inches after all, isn't it?

There is no one else in the world to whom the numbers your body shows on a scale can make a difference (unless they're watching you weigh yourself, of course)-- what is noticeable is your appearance, your size!

The scale mindset is hard to break out of sometimes, but I think focusing on losing inches is much more beneficial and a better indicator of fat-loss success. So personally, I'd say you're on the right track! Congratulations. (:
mottainai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 05:38 PM   #5  
Not trying-just doing

Thanks you all very much. It just confused me to the point where I was second-guessing everything I'm doing, but if I'm working out 5-7 days a week and eating less (and much healthier), it has to work at some point. I just have to keep telling myself that. I love this forum.

THank you again!!
Old 11-26-2012, 10:12 PM   #6  
Maintaining since 2013

S/C/G: Sz 20/Sz 8/Maintain

Height: 5'11

Don't stress or second-guess yourself Megz. I have been exactly where you are for the past 2 months. I've stopped weighing myself and just track my measurements. I am losing a lot of inches, but gaining a lot of lean muscle.

Best of luck!
SunnySide99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 10:23 PM   #7  

Height: 5'8.5"

I'm going through the same thing.... working out a lot and the scale is not moving down... but am wearing a smaller size pants and blouse.
Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 10:14 AM   #8  
Love Thyself

S/C/G: 231/199/165

Congrats on the inches We are the same height and I can barely squeeze my butt into size 18s but it is too tight to wear comfortably. lol

Keep it off the weight will go down too! You are doing great
moonkissed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 02:58 PM   #9  
Not trying-just doing

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonkissed View Post
Congrats on the inches We are the same height and I can barely squeeze my butt into size 18s but it is too tight to wear comfortably. lol

Keep it off the weight will go down too! You are doing great
LOL. I'm one of those "lucky" ladies who were built with not one curve.