Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 11-23-2012, 06:17 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 126/126/110

Height: 5.3"

Default Help and Advice please!

HI All,

I'm 27 years old and for a few years i've had some issues with my weight. I am not over weight, but I am a stone heavier than when I was 23 and I just don't feel confident about the way my body looks any more. I used to find dieting so easy in my early 20's, I had alot more will power and the weight just seemed to fall off!! This is not the case now!

I have never really been one for excercising, some days I will have the best intentions but when it comes to actually doing it I never have the motivation. I have tried various diets, Weightwatchers, slimming world, Ducan. They all start off well, but by the 3rd day I end up having a massive binge on junk food and thats as far as it goes!

I just wondered if anyone has any advice. Ijust dont seem to have the will power to resist food! Help please!

Dee
DeeDee27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 09:39 PM   #2  
Stephanie

S/C/G: 236/135-140/More Fit

Height: 5'6"

It sounds like you aren't in a place where you are super serious about losing that stone. And maybe that's ok! It really isn't about will power, or a specific diet, or about working out. I don't know your actual weight, so it's hard to say if perhaps this is just a place your body is more comfortable, therefore making it a little harder to lose it, or if it's really excess that your body needs to shed.

If you are having trouble with binges 3 days into a diet, maybe you are choosing diets that are too restrictive to follow realistically. Is bingeing something you struggle with? I know there are several books that many bingers have found very helpful.

It's hard to give any real specific advice from the information about yourself that you shared. Perhaps you can share a little more?
LockItUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 12:18 AM   #3  

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I think you are right, my body probably is in a place where it feels my comfortable, and I know as you get closer to 30 your weight is likely to increase. The thing is I just dont feel good about myself at my current weight.

My mum often says the same as you've said, 'you don't want to loose it that much'. But the thing is I really do, my weight is something that is constantly on my mind, its just when I'm hungry and tempted by a burger and chips, or a big fat cake, that seems to take over, and Iinstantly regret it.

Perhaps your right about the types of diets I do. I think sometimes I deprive myself of nice foods for a few days and then go on a binge because of that. I have thought about doing thiis dieting on alternate dates diet, where you have really low cals for 3 days per week, and eat what you want the other days. Has anyone had any experience with this?

I currently have a BMI of 22.5, so I know I am in a normal weight range. I just want to get to a weight I feel comfortable with.
Old 11-24-2012, 01:20 AM   #4  

S/C/G: See ticker

Height: 5"3

Hey DeeDee27, I can kinda understand the place you are at the moment. I obsessed about loosingbweight for about 3 years and somehow could not manage to do it successfully.

Eventually, I hit my rock bottom. One of my friends approached my and told me to consider that I have an "allergy" to certain foods. I did some homework and saw that certain foods make you hungry - they are also addictive so when cutting them out, you go through withdrawals until your body rebels and you "need" to eat them. - sound familiar?

I then found that certain foods can counter the effects of the withdrawal and thus reduce those cravings.

This was very liberating for me as I could forgive myself for "failing" as it was not a lack of willpower on my part. It was the chemistry in my body that was out of balance.

So, if you really believe that you need to lose weight, then start listening to your body and try to understand what it is telling you.
Then find an eating plan that works for you, exercise that you love, drink plenty of water and read the many blogs of the amazing people on this forum.
The latter really helps to keep me motivated - and it's not just about the successes, it's the failures and the getting back up stories that truly inspire.

Good luck.
Wheresmychin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 09:30 AM   #5  
Love Thyself

S/C/G: 231/199/165

Height: 5'7"

Hello & Welcome

Maybe since you only have alittle too lose and finding motivation is difficult (I surely understand that lol), maybe just start off with very small changes.

Add in some healthier options, try to eat more veggies, switch to whole wheat, try new fun health food type items, maybe one day a week cook a recipe that is made over or healthy. Try taking a walk one day a week.

Just small little changes that can add up. It won't give you results overnight but it can inspire you to do more and anything positive is better then nothing for sure

moonkissed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 05:01 AM   #6  

Thank you all for your advice! I am starting the alternate day day diet today! Wish me luck!
Old 11-25-2012, 10:55 AM   #7  

Height: 5'6

i think we all understand.. if we all have issues with our weight (or did, at some point) its because we were making poor food choices and working out too little.

i ask you to stick to a proper diet and work out 4 times a week for 2 weeks only. it'll be really hard but just try and do it for 14 days. im certain you wont want to stop after that.. once you feel and see results, its hard to stop.
luckystreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 11:12 AM   #8  

S/C/G: S290/C ticker/G 190

Height: 5'11"

Hungry-girl.com and the full plate diet http://www.fullplatediet.org/ have great ideas for keeping you full without loading on the calories. You can also start building a bit more muscle by resistance training/ weight lifting, which will start to burn more calories and tone you up. Focusing on fit & healthy rather than a number is usually a better idea; if you've got 20lbs muscle instead of fat, you might not hit your ideal number, but you might look better anyways.
scoutycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 03:46 PM   #9  

Thank you all!! Day one and its gone ok. I have had a slim fast shake and chicken and veg for dinner!! It's usually by about the 3rd day I crack but so far so good!!