Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 11-18-2012, 04:07 PM   #1  
Heidi

S/C/G: 204.5/149/153

Height: 5'7"

Default Avoidance techniques?

I spend way too much time in my house, and seem to do much better with weight loss when I am busy out and about. When I'm home, the desire to put food in my mouth is frequent and strong. My latest avoidance technique has been this:

Whenever I feel the desire to pop something in my mouth, when there is no accompanying hunger, I've been popping into the garage instead to lift 2 15-lb weights 5 times. Over my head. Arm curls. Squats. Whatever. But I do the lift 5 times and come back in. If I still feel like a munch, out I go again. Repeat until the urge passes.

Yesterday, I did *a lot* of reps because of this. Today, not so many, but still a few. I wish I could just banish the desire to munch. But I figure that at least recognizing / acknowledging / redirecting it this way might help me to gain some strength!

Anyone else have some in-house avoidance techniques?
newleaf123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 04:27 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 162/129/120

Height: 5'6''... and a half

Reading the nutritional tables on the food item will often turn me off, or putting the item in my calorie counter. Seeing how that item will affect my daily calorie intake (I'm a calorie counter) or macro-nutrient chart (carbs or fat go up more than protein) will more than likely change my mind about the item. If that doesn't work I'll make tea or do some online window shopping to distract myself.

Doing something more productive, like weight lifting, would probably be a good idea though too, I should try that!
EricAnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 06:50 PM   #3  

S/C/G: S290/C ticker/G 190

Height: 5'11"

drinking water; remembering why I'm doing this weight loss thing (I wrote it down in case I forget); Going out side & stretching my arms up to the sky, take a deep breath and smile; put on some music; clean the bathroom.
scoutycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 08:08 PM   #4  
Heading Downtown...

S/C/G: 225/165/165

Height: 5'8"

I really like your idea with the weights... I might have to give that a try...

Something I've been experimenting with is a combo of Hot & Cold hydrotherapy that I've adapted at home... Basically I'll take a really hot steam shower followed with an ice cold shower and than finish with a lukewarm rinse... or if I have more time I'll do a hot soak in the tub mixed with ice cold showers... basically doing a series of hot/cold/hot/cold... And sometimes I just do a quick ice cold shower...

I know this all might sound a bit crazy... But somehow the combo of the relaxing aspects of the realy hot water and the refreshing and invigorating aspects of the ice cold water seem to dull any cravings... And of course, all these hot and cold showers at the very least keep me out of the kitchen...
TripSwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 09:22 PM   #5  
Be strong and courageous

S/C/G: 310/195/140

Height: 5 feet 6 inches

I find that reading a good book helps take my mind off of eating. I'm also gonna have to try the weight lifting too.
susiefleshner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 09:38 PM   #6  
Hi, I'm Lauren! :)

S/C/G: SW:209 / CW:184/ GW:~160

Height: 5'4

I drink a cup of hot tea. Usually does the trick and has no calories.
mimsyborogoves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:37 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 222/Ticker/140

Height: 5'4"

Drinking tea works for me too. I discovered really good tea a few years ago and never looked back at Lipton. There are so many different types it can be a real treat. And I don't drink the fruity flavored kind - it's not usually flavored with real fruit. I mean good Chinese or Taiwanese oolongs, and various black teas from China and India like Keemun and Darjeeling.

Also, I take the dogs out for a short walk. Dogs always appreciate the extra walk and it's a good way to get up and move around a bit.
annieway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:58 AM   #8  
Fear does not = fate

S/C/G: 295/140/nogoal :)

Height: 5'2"

I tossed out anything that wasn't fruit/veggie/nuts. That way, if I wanted something bad enough, it wouldn't ruin my day.

And if I want something -that- badly, I have to make it. Then do dishes. Dishes are a real turn off for a craving.
owlsteazombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 11:11 AM   #9  

S/C/G: HW:336/CW:236/GW:175

Height: 5' 7"

I usually get the munchies late at night and I just try to talk myself out of it and force myself to go to bed early so I won't eat. I guess going to bed isn't really a good technique though.
mandydawn77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 12:39 PM   #10  

S/C/G: S290/C ticker/G 190

Height: 5'11"

I think going to bed is a great technique, if it's bedtime (or close!). A lot of the time I eat because I'm too tired.
scoutycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 12:48 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 165/132/125 or 115? not sure

Height: 5'4" (on a good-hair day!)

With the holidays upon us I desperately need some avoidance techniques. There are some good ones here! Thanks for posting this!
Mountain Mamma is offline   Reply With Quote