Inspiration for those who have fallen off track

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • I have read quite a few posts from people who have recently fallen off track and are having trouble getting back on plan. I thought I would share my recent experiences in an effort to inspire you to hop back on track.

I really struggled through October, binging for days at a time after being able to keep my eating under control for about 15 months. I would get back on plan for a few days, then overeat during the weekend, starting to fall into those familiar patterns that have led me to failure so many times before.

In mid October, I got back on track and decided to be brave and check the scale. Up seven pounds. Instead of feeling like a failure, I was pleased that I had only done that much damage - I was fearing I was back in the 200's. I celebrated by binging the whole weekend.

But I have gotten back on track. I felt so bloated that my pants didn't fit well. I went through two days of cravings. I didn't want to go to the gym so I just walked instead. But I got through it. I saw the water weight come off. I can cross my legs again. And I am eating healthy, back to working out per schedule, and feeling energized.

I am not special; I struggle regularly with wanting to eat more than I should and wanting to sleep in rather than exercising. But instead of throwing in the towel, I have made a personal commitment through July 18, my 2-year anniversary of changing my life, to keep going and not give up on myself. I started imagining how I would look and feel if I went back to where I was, and the picture wasn't pretty. I would miss how healthy I feel, and my ability to run, and my ability to walk rapidly down the hall at work and climb stairs without being breathless.

I have realized that I don't have to be perfect every day in order to succeed. I just have to be a little less hard on myself when I do binge or decide to take a day off from intense activity. It's about getting back on track as soon as you can. Another post, about the difference between a successful maintainer and a yo-yo dieter is not quitting - I don't remember who posted it, but a big thank you goes to that person because it is totally true. I know I won't be perfect for the rest of my life, but I finally understand that it is about having a lot more good days than bad, and getting back to healthy living as soon as possible.

If you are struggling to get back on plan, commit to one day of getting back on track, or as close to it as you can. Then do the same thing the next day. Don't strive for perfection, just strive for doing better each day until you are back to your regular routine. You can do it.
  • Great advice! And yay to you for getting back on track!
  • Congratulations - you have so much to be proud of! Thanks for sharing - really helpful!! I went through a similar struggle recently - I gained about 12 pounds over 3 weeks because of daily bingeing. I completely agree with committing to staying on plan for just one day, and then doing the same thing the next day. Otherwise, it's too overwhelming.

And I'm proud to say that I have re-lost 8 of those 12 pounds! It has taken over 2 1/2 months, and I'm still pressing forward to re-lose the remaining 4, plus a few more to get back to my lowest weight.

It's never too late to reverse past mistakes and look forward!
  • Thanks for sharing your advice!

I too have found that a little bit of slack after slipping up is very helpful. When trying to get back on track, I'm obviously usually not feeling my best, so giving myself permission to ease back on plan slowly, rather than do it perfectly, makes it a bit easier to handle.
  • Yup, if you never quit you can't fail. It's so true! Good for you for not giving in to the voice in your head defeating you, and for picking yourself back up to fight another day
  • This is great advice. I could have used it a few days ago (and many other times in my life). Fortunately, I took a similar approach or my weight loss journey would have ended not long after it began. Thanks for sharing this, s it is definitely an inspiration. You have a lot to be proud of.
  • Quote: If you are struggling to get back on plan, commit to one day of getting back on track, or as close to it as you can. Then do the same thing the next day. Don't strive for perfection, just strive for doing better each day until you are back to your regular routine. You can do it.
    Your post comes at a good time for me. I've been maintaining successfully for a year, but these last three days have been rough. Two days of pharmaceutical advisory board meetings with ultra-gourmet catered food (stuff like seared ahi tuna and maple creme brulee), which is my big weakness, followed by a Christmas party today (yes, on Nov. 4), where I ate far too many candied nuts, crackers, dips, and European cheeses.

Thanks for the inspiring words. BACK ON PLAN TOMORROW NO MATTER WHAT!!

F.
  • Thankyou, thankyou, thankyou so much for this! I really needed it. I read it yesterday but I was too busy to post. This really helped me get back on track.
  • I was just going to start my own thread until I came across this one. My problem is that I lose motivation. I feel like such a failure. I dont understand why I cant just stay focused. I need constant motivation and inspiration!
  • Awesome post... thank you for sharing! Keep on track!
  • Kittykat, I binged tonight (in a big way,it was one of my worst) and I've been feeling so miserable and dreading my weekend of probably being antisocial. Then I started perusing the boards and saw that post from you. It has really helped me tonight. I'll have to bookmark that one for when I'm feeling down.
  • On a whim, I picked up a book, about fat ladies and dating, a fiction.

The thing that struck me most was the authors ex, loved her, but could never get her to love herself. She could never feel like she was worth being loved or loveable because she was a bit over weight. And he got tired of trying to convince her that she was a good person and deserved all the good things in life.

I don't mean to say that we should no try to be healthy and be the best we can be, but, we should not discount ourselves, and where we are at the moment, we all deserve the best, and we should NEVER think we don't deserve anything but the best!

We should hold our heads up high and insist on nothing but the BEst!
  • thank you so much for this post! I am really struggling today. I have lost nearly 6 stone and STILL my knees hurt and wake me at night!! I have been for my usual walk but it didn't clear my head as it usually does....then I come on 3fc to find your post ......wonderful thankyou.
  • I had this thread bookmarked, and I'm bringing it back up in the hope that it will help me and others who are struggling to get back on track after epic bingeing and weight gain. Thanks for taking the time to share what helped you, and may it help those of us who are struggling right now!
  • great advice!