3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Weight Loss Support (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support-13/)
-   -   Choosing Goals (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support/269239-choosing-goals.html)

Tesalyn 11-03-2012 04:42 PM

Choosing Goals

Hi. I'm pretty new to this (this time around..I lost a good bit a few years back but gained some of it back), and I'm having a hard time deciding on smaller goals. I'd like to lose 10 lbs by the end of the month (or as close to it as I can get) since I joined that thread...but otherwise, I'm at loss. (I do have a final goal weight in mind, though it depends on how I feel when I get close to it/get there).

I have no idea where to start as far as fitness goes. I don't have a whole lot of energy, and that's one of the things I'd like to change. I'm worried about being hungrier if I work out (have had a problem with that in the past). Right now I'm working on counting and writing down calories and staying at or under 1200/day.

Anyone have suggestions on choosing goals?

Or does anyone want to share what their current goals are?

Spiritix 11-03-2012 06:17 PM

Well for me, I decided to take up running. I wouldn't push myself too hard, but after 2 months of keeping at it, I think the amount of energy I have has gone way up. You could consider just walking if running sounds too difficult.
I don't think I've gotten hungrier, and after watching how much I eat for a while I've been able to cut back naturally.
Ideally you want to lose two pounds a week, so ten pounds in a month is pushing yourself a bit, which may not be the best if you feel new to this. You may want to slow down a bit to say, 5 pounds. If you're gonna start exercising, your body is going to have a phase where it seems like you're not losing weight, when in fact you're gaining muscle and retaining water.
It's up to you though. You could definitely do ten pounds in a month if you really wanted, but some people just lose weight slower, so it may take more time.

twinieten 11-03-2012 08:35 PM

In the beginning, I stopped with goals. I'd be left frustrated and behind. I realized I had to set my goals differently due to my weight loss pattern. As much as I'd like to lose 2 pounds a week, I can't seem to do it.

I have set a few mini goals since then, but I broadened them by months. Like 10 pounds by my last vacation, and I gave myself 3-4 months to get there. I didn't quite make it, but I got close. Or a normal BMI by thanksgiving, giving myself 2 months to lose 6 pounds. I got there early thanks to a lovely intestinal bug.

My new goal is to get back to running. I've had so many reasons to prioritize it last, but now I need to move it up.

I'd really think about picking one thing or another, and not try to start too many things at the same time, especially if you're new at this. You've already made a 10 pound goal (or close to) and you're focusing on counting calories and staying on track with your diet. That's good. Keep that focus! Add to it as you become more comfortable and start reaching your goals.

I think as you get further in to it, the goals will come more easily. Things will come up that will give you something to work on, like that party dress, that swim suit or that vacation.....

Missy Krissy 11-03-2012 09:12 PM

It's important for me to set goals that are achievable so that I don't get discouraged, so for now I'm focusing on diet/healthy eating rather than excercise. I don't allow myself to go over 1800 calories in a day, and so far I've only slipped up twice (over by 44 calories one day, and 1 calorie another), so I'm pretty proud of myself. I view any day that I go walking or running as a bonus, not as a must.

Also, I came up with some ways to reward myself for losing (see sig) to help keep me motivated! That pedicure is getting closer and closer ;)!

Tesalyn 11-03-2012 10:33 PM

One of the hard things for me is that the last time I lost a lot of weight, I did it by eating very little. It worked for me. Having the weight come off quickly kept me motivated and my stomach seemed to adjust. However, I'm concerned about whether that is healthy and whether it is maintainable over the long-term. But it makes me nervous being more moderate, and I find it hard to stay motivated. I feel like exercise might help me feel more into things, but I'm not sure where I want to start.